Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 AM

214 posts, read 705,536 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me out there if American Military University is a legit school? I know it is accredited but what does that really mean? Online school is my only option right now and I would like to know if AMU is worth my time or should I just wait till I can attend a "sit down" campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:04 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCommander View Post
Can anyone tell me out there if American Military University is a legit school? I know it is accredited but what does that really mean? Online school is my only option right now and I would like to know if AMU is worth my time or should I just wait till I can attend a "sit down" campus.
Frankly, I think for profits should be avoided. Apparently, AMU is nationally accredited. You can read about the differences between national vs regional here.

"The main issue is the transferability of credits from one school to another. While nationally accredited institutions will usually accept credit from regionally or nationally accredited institutions, regionally accredited schools often do not accept credit from nationally accredited institutions.

This also means that if you hold an associate's degree from a nationally accredited school, you may have to start over if you later decide to pursue a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited school. Similarly, if you hold a nationally accredited bachelor's degree, you may not be eligible to enter a master's program at some regionally accredited institutions.

Considering that state colleges and universities are all regionally accredited, and that state schools are an inexpensive local option for many students, this is definitely something to keep in mind."

Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 AM

214 posts, read 705,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Frankly, I think for profits should be avoided. Apparently, AMU is nationally accredited. You can read about the differences between national vs regional here.

"The main issue is the transferability of credits from one school to another. While nationally accredited institutions will usually accept credit from regionally or nationally accredited institutions, regionally accredited schools often do not accept credit from nationally accredited institutions.

This also means that if you hold an associate's degree from a nationally accredited school, you may have to start over if you later decide to pursue a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited school. Similarly, if you hold a nationally accredited bachelor's degree, you may not be eligible to enter a master's program at some regionally accredited institutions.

Considering that state colleges and universities are all regionally accredited, and that state schools are an inexpensive local option for many students, this is definitely something to keep in mind."
According to AMU's website they are both regionally and nationally accredited. Does that make any difference? I am wondering because I currently take classes there and I am just wondering if its worth my time

http://www.apus.edu/accreditation-licensure/

Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCommander View Post
According to AMU's website they are both regionally and nationally accredited. Does that make any difference? I am wondering because I currently take classes there and I am just wondering if its worth my time

http://www.apus.edu/accreditation-licensure/
Well, it would be good for you to investigate. Being regionally accredited does matter, so if they are, that's a good thing. Again, it would be good to research their statements. Folk have to be careful with for profits. Something you could try is to call U Michigan or any other state uni in your area (or to be area) and find out if they would transfer those credits. It would suck to spend all that time and money and be limited due to accreditation or similar issues.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM

With all that said, I wonder if there are community college online programs. CC's are about as inexpensive as it gets. I would look into that if I were in your shoes.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 AM

127 posts, read 306,680 times
AMU has a decent reputation for its specialized programs in strategic intelligence, homeland security and military history just because there are so few programs out there, and those programs usually rely on connections to a few key employers who send their drones to get a degree that locks them in with their org and deflect headhunters from stealing their talent pool by funding their for-profit degrees. I met an AMU instructor on a flight to California. He basically said the AMU degrees are good for personal enrichment or people who are already professionals in their careers who would like a degree as a capstone to their existing expertise, like military and law enforcement. It is not a scam, just not really impressive.

If you are changing careers, starting over, or too young to be in the loop of things, it is safer to go to a traditional university. I say 'safer' instead of 'better' because not even graduates of traditional universities do so hot in the job market. In the end, job placement still depends on the performance evaluations of the individual and who is willing to accept a lower wage offer as employers really want talent on the cheap today. In this economy, I know a few grads of great universities who are not even posting their degree on their resume to avoid being 'overqualified'. And I mean great universities, like I am not worthy to sit with them, yet I had to pay their beer tab last time around b/c they've squandered their parental loan like a bad public works project.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 27,378 times
American Public University System (APUS) is regionally accredited
by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the [URL="http://www.ncahlc.org/"]North Central Association[/URL].

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM

98 posts, read 370,430 times
Some state schools are starting to offer online degrees, you might want to check you local university to see if they do.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM

14 posts, read 44,400 times
American Military University is very legit school. AMU has the backing of the LAPD, US Government and Wal-Mart. They are nationally and regionally accredited and are well respect as a top notch online school. They even have a former Astonaut as Dean of The School of Science and Technology.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 19,752 times
I spoke to University of Southern Mississippi for their PhD Program in International Development, which is heavy on oil analysis and Middle Eastern affairs and they were fine accepting an MBA from AMU, as long as the grades were top-notch. Of course do your own research when it comes to something like going for a Doctorate. Call the school and let them know you may attend an online university and how they would feel about it. Frankly at 36, I can't afford a state school let alone an Ivy League school. Its very tough right now. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities