Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That was true at one time. Look at my degree and what I did with it. The fact that companies won't take a chance on someone with a non-related degree is a major change. The theory was that the degree showed you were smart enough to learn and the company would teach you what they wanted you to know. That's changed.
It's changed. What has changed now is you can't come out with no experience unless you have a very sought after degree. I graduated in 2004 and did two internships before I graduated which helped greatly. It also helped attending a school that many companies recruited for. The most recent change is you can't just graduate with no experience at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is man people are continually told this lie whether it is by college, their uneducated parents or worse high school teachers and guidance counselors. I would expect 2013 graduates and grads into the future are better but what about the ones before that?
I hope that "lie" has stopped being told for it is cruely malicious. I assume future/current grads are wiser, past grads will have to "tough" it out-whatever that means

Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
The most of the colleges were private colleges with a price tag that was too high for most students besides any of those who had the G.I. Bill.

Untrue. My father worked his way thru Marquette University, the private Catholic University in Milwaukee, in the late 1950s. You could do this back then because private college tuition was reasonable. Tuition at Marquette now is $40,000 per year (obscene).

Most high school graduates in the 1950s did not go to college because 1) the military drafted many of them and they got technical training there and 2) reasonable paying jobs were more plentiful, so college education was not seen as a necessity. Remember, this was when most products were made in the USA.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:18 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's changed. What has changed now is you can't come out with no experience unless you have a very sought after degree. I graduated in 2004 and did two internships before I graduated which helped greatly. It also helped attending a school that many companies recruited for. The most recent change is you can't just graduate with no experience at all.
Well, that should pretty much tell you that the education that colleges are currently offering isn't as good as that in the recent past. When we came out of college in '87, NONE of us needed to have an internship, nor experience in the field. I hadn't worked in a steel mill when I was offered a cost accounting/executive career. I hadn't worked as a CPA when I received a career offer with Arthur Andersen. And neither did any of my classmates. That was why we weren't paid very well for the first few years we began working. That was the point of entry level jobs, to train you as you went along. But we didn't need that experience, why the hell were we going to college if it wasn't to get educated/trained well enough to get a job with the companies that recruited us? I received a BS in Accounting, and when I was going through USF, our Intermediate Accounting classes were what washed us out, so that only about 20% of those that started out as Accounting majors graduated with that degree. The Big Eight firms worked closely with the unis that they recruited, to make the coursework rigorous and comprehensive, so that we were good enough to sit for our CPA exams in our senior year. I didn't, but I did within a year after graduation, and passed it. An internship was nice to have, but it was by no means necessary in order to get a job. Hell, I was working at UPS, delivering furniture, and tutoring, in order to pay my way. No way would I have done an unpaid internship when I was making money. And none of my classmates needed that either.

So basically, what you're saying is that now you need to have some experience prior to getting a career, which wasn't required just a little over two decades ago. You pretty much stated that today's college education is inferior to what was available for guys like me. Yet tuition has nearly tripled at my alma mater, and it's gone about that at CAL. It becomes apparent that today's students are paying more and getting less than their parents. Pretty much a definition of a scam....

Last edited by loloroj; 05-31-2013 at 12:25 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
So basically, what you're saying is that now you need to have some experience prior to getting a career, which wasn't required just a little over two decades ago. You pretty much stated that today's college education is inferior to what was available for guys like me. Yet tuition has nearly tripled at my alma mater, and it's gone about that at CAL. It becomes apparent that today's students are paying more and getting less than their parents. Pretty much a definition of a scam....
I do not need to say anymore than this statement right here.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 AM

653 posts, read 816,790 times
Quote:
The issue is man people are continually told this lie whether it is by college, their uneducated parents or worse high school teachers and guidance counselors. I would expect 2013 graduates and grads into the future are better but what about the ones before that?
Exactly!

Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Well, that should pretty much tell you that the education that colleges are currently offering isn't as good as that in the recent past. When we came out of college in '87, NONE of us needed to have an internship, nor experience in the field. I hadn't worked in a steel mill when I was offered a cost accounting/executive career. I hadn't worked as a CPA when I received a career offer with Arthur Andersen. And neither did any of my classmates. That was why we weren't paid very well for the first few years we began working. That was the point of entry level jobs, to train you as you went along. But we didn't need that experience, why the hell were we going to college if it wasn't to get educated/trained well enough to get a job with the companies that recruited us? I received a BS in Accounting, and when I was going through USF, our Intermediate Accounting classes were what washed us out, so that only about 20% of those that started out as Accounting majors graduated with that degree. The Big Eight firms worked closely with the unis that they recruited, to make the coursework rigorous and comprehensive, so that we were good enough to sit for our CPA exams in our senior year. I didn't, but I did within a year after graduation, and passed it. An internship was nice to have, but it was by no means necessary in order to get a job. Hell, I was working at UPS, delivering furniture, and tutoring, in order to pay my way. No way would I have done an unpaid internship when I was making money. And none of my classmates needed that either.

Just because a ROI is less than it was in the past doesn't make it a scam. We all know you have not made out with your degree but unfortunelty toy for you facts and data don't agree with you. Why don't you tell is how those with a HS degree have done over the last decade? The average income and unemployment rate.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I do not need to say anymore than this statement right here.
Economies change. The ability to change and adapt determines who is successful and who isn't.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Oh really, what are the default rates Sparky? And what have they been doing for the last few years? And you're right about ROI's, tell us about the ROI for Colombia and Johns Hopkins....
Gladly. Grads of both schools will bet about a million more over a lifetime per pay scale and WSJ. The default rates for loans are around 2% and the median debt is 15k.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM

83 posts, read 194,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
What degrees?

AS - information technology, BS - information technology, BS - psychology ( later was for fun and fully paid for via employer tuition reimbursement) Will be starting a masters or MBA this fall or next spring which will also be mostly paid for by my employer.

What industry? Information Technology for state government.

How did you get there? (Timeframe from entry-level to current promotion.) Started at the bottom doing tier 1 work and within 3 years I was tier 3.

What are your actual salary figures? Very well for this area however government job salaries are lower than the private sector but the benefits make up for it. I still make 2 - 3 times what I was making in a factory
I answered above in red, hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities