Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM

503 posts, read 1,173,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Gladly. Grads of both schools will bet about a million more over a lifetime per pay scale and WSJ. The default rates for loans are around 2% and the median debt is 15k.
Statistics get fluffed a lot depending on the sampling technique used. Did they mine the loan industry for numbers or did they do phone interviews like they did for unemployment figures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Just because a ROI is less than it was in the past doesn't make it a scam. We all know you have not made out with your degree but unfortunelty toy for you facts and data don't agree with you. Why don't you tell is how those with a HS degree have done over the last decade? The average income and unemployment rate.
The issue is the immediate effects of college is not what they once were AND you look at statistics for lower earnings TYPICALLY, if you make less in your first job, you do not have as much earnings over your lifetime. Below is a excerpt from this article: Recession Causes Lower Incomes for the Entire Career of College Graduates and Unemployed Workers

Quote:
This recession may very well affect the lifetime earnings of the younger newly employed professionals. In a recent Yale study, that followed 1979-1989 college graduates on a career path, it was noted that for each percent increase in unemployment, the initial salary of new entrants into the work force with college graduate degrees fell approximately 7%. Some graduates had nearly 25% lower income in their 1st year of work, than those who graduated in better economic times. The lower initial income is only one aspect. The study found that even as much as 17 years later, their lower incomes persisted, and some were making as much as 10% less than their counterparts. Over the course of their career, the income difference could be nearly $100,000 between those with college graduate degrees getting a job in recession times and grads getting a job in boom times. The study found the lower paid grads in mid career were less likely to be in a prestigious career, more likely to stay in their job, and therefore see less likely to enjoy significant income increases. This raises the possibility that people with college graduate degrees who start in a low level, low paying job, may be viewed as having lower potential by employers when they seek other jobs. This situation creates career and income hurdles for these lower paid grads throughout their careers.
As you can see, specifically with the way college is now where is is so off base of what employers want, it might not necessarily be a scam but the ROI is not as strong as it once was. Particularly if the economy continues this way for some years causing graduates to jump into jobs they had during college, summer, before they left for college or even unpaid internships.

Quote:
Economies change. The ability to change and adapt determines who is successful and who isn't.
That doesn't mean that the degree is or isn't relevant in the economy. Not everyone has the resources to adapt. Look at at everyone who say because you got a degree and can't get a job, you chose the wrong major or go into business for yourself. You cannot control the demand for the degree nor can you go into business for yourself if you do not have the money to do this.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,531,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is the immediate effects of college is not what they once were AND you look at statistics for lower earnings TYPICALLY, if you make less in your first job, you do not have as much earnings over your lifetime. Below is a excerpt from this article: Recession Causes Lower Incomes for the Entire Career of College Graduates and Unemployed Workers

As you can see, specifically with the way college is now where is is so off base of what employers want, it might not necessarily be a scam but the ROI is not as strong as it once was. Particularly if the economy continues this way for some years causing graduates to jump into jobs they had during college, summer, before they left for college or even unpaid internships.

That doesn't mean that the degree is or isn't relevant in the economy. Not everyone has the resources to adapt. Look at at everyone who say because you got a degree and can't get a job, you chose the wrong major or go into business for yourself. You cannot control the demand for the degree nor can you go into business for yourself if you do not have the money to do this.
You aren't choosing between what the ROI was 20 years ago vs what it is today. The choice is the current day ROI vs not getting anymore education. If I can invest and make a 10% profit today I'm still going to do it despite the fact that 20 years ago I could have invested and made 20%.

Everyone educatuon lecel struggles during a recession. Have you seen the salary and employment figures for HS graduates? That is the relevant compare.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Statistics get fluffed a lot depending on the sampling technique used. Did they mine the loan industry for numbers or did they do phone interviews like they did for unemployment figures?
Default rates and debt at graduation are easy to verify as that is government data. When a school has a default rate of 3% and average debt of around 15k it tells you the graduates are doing just fine.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM

@Gatornation;
Although it's easy to pull the data, do they actually do it on the sites claiming these numbers? If you can get links, that'd be great. I graduated from a tier 2 school with a bachelor's degree and $24,000+ in debt and I'm having a terrible time finding work, let alone a job that pays more than minimum wage.

Also, the number of people with GEDs and no experience getting retail jobs that pay higher than what they offer me seems to be increasing. It's as if having experience and a college degree sets you below these people for the jobs "normal college graduates wouldn't apply for."

Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
@Gatornation;
Although it's easy to pull the data, do they actually do it on the sites claiming these numbers? If you can get links, that'd be great. I graduated from a tier 2 school with a bachelor's degree and $24,000+ in debt and I'm having a terrible time finding work, let alone a job that pays more than minimum wage.

Also, the number of people with GEDs and no experience getting retail jobs that pay higher than what they offer me seems to be increasing. It's as if having experience and a college degree sets you below these people for the jobs "normal college graduates wouldn't apply for."
You realize your claim about HS grads on a large scale is ridiculous. There is no employment or salary data to back that up. Seems like you are letting your personal situation skew reality.

Default rates are on this site.
http://studentaid.ed.gov/about/data-...tudent/default

Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Keep in mind that you're looking for a job in an economy which, although officially not in recession, is shaky, unpredictable and not adding jobs at the rate needed to return to full employment. Also remember that the official unemployment rate is skewed lower than actuality due to the statistical methods used to estimate the rate.

So, having a difficult time finding a job shouldn't be surprising, especially in your field of study.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You realize your claim about HS grads on a large scale is ridiculous. There is no employment or salary data to back that up. Seems like you are letting your personal situation skew reality.
Whoops, I forgot to append my post.
The claim was meant in my immediate friend circle and not about the whole world.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that you're looking for a job in an economy which, although officially not in recession, is shaky, unpredictable and not adding jobs at the rate needed to return to full employment. Also remember that the official unemployment rate is skewed lower than actuality due to the statistical methods used to estimate the rate.

So, having a difficult time finding a job shouldn't be surprising, especially in your field of study.
For this discussion the difference in unemployment rate between education levels is what is relevant. College grad is at 3% and HS was at 10% in think last I recall. If you think that is really 6% and 13% it really is the same in terms of the benefit if one over the other.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.pdf

There's the sampling method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities