Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,731,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Please tell me what job exists where you're not asked to think critically? More so, tell me which jobs which demand a college degree don't demand critical thinking, and the capacity to articulate the results of that thinking. I worked as an accountant, and that required a college degree. We were constantly asked to interpret clients situations and then apply their circumstances to the tax code or to FASB's. Constantly. The skills that were need were critical thinking and articulation. Your response is baffling, critical thinking and articulation are the bedrocks of any career skill you may need coming out of college. I suppose if you work at a routinized job where there is no need to think then I guess what you claim is applicable. But then what the hell are you going to college in the first place?
You do realize that you are arguing with a poster who has virtually NO critical thinking skills, whatsoever, don't you? Some people will never learn them. They argue for no good reason, because they are completely lacking in critical thinking skills. Nothing you say to them will penetrate that fog! Believe me, many of us have tried to break through, but when you are completely lacking, and unable to even understand the importance of critical thinking in day to day life, much less the working world, it's a hopeless battle. Some people don't even understand the meaning of the term "critical thinking"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 PM

919 posts, read 1,783,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You do realize that you are arguing with a poster who has virtually NO critical thinking skills, whatsoever, don't you? Some people will never learn them. They argue for no good reason, because they are completely lacking in critical thinking skills. Nothing you say to them will penetrate that fog! Believe me, many of us have tried to break through, but when you are completely lacking, and unable to even understand the importance of critical thinking in day to day life, much less the working world, it's a hopeless battle. Some people don't even understand the meaning of the term "critical thinking"!
*Sigh* yeah yeah I know, you're right. But when you've been a teacher, somehow yass have to keep trying.....

Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,731,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
*Sigh* yeah yeah I know, you're right. But when you've been a teacher, somehow yass have to keep trying.....
I applaud your efforts. I truly do and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. It truly is mind boggling though, how many people can't comprehend the "meaning" of critical thinking...much less, how to be a critical thinker! If I had a dollar for every person I've met, whom I've looked at with my head cocked to the side, thinking...."You're KIDDING me, right? Are there any wheels turning in there?.....any?...maybe just ONE?" .....I'd be rich, RICH I tell you! LOL

Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,037,050 times
I recently talked to a lady who has 2 kids in college. She told me she expects them to be earning a good income when they graduate & not living at home like some college grads. A college education will open more doors for better paying jobs then without.....right ?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I recently talked to a lady who has 2 kids in college. She told me she expects them to be earning a good income when they graduate & not living at home like some college grads. A college education will open more doors for better paying jobs then without.....right ?
It's like admission to a very crowded parking lot. If a spot opens up you can park in the parking lot, but you're not guaranteed to find a spot. According to one recent study, about 48% of all four year degree holders are working in jobs that require less than a 4 year degree.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It's like admission to a very crowded parking lot. If a spot opens up you can park in the parking lot, but you're not guaranteed to find a spot. According to one recent study, about 48% of all four year degree holders are working in jobs that require less than a 4 year degree.
That and most jobs want that as a like to have, with at least two years of experience.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,023,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
If you want a free education, consult the following resources:

Google
Wikipedia

no loans required.

Easily learn open heart surgery in two weeks! Self education: Clearly the best alternative.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Easily learn open heart surgery in two weeks! Self education: Clearly the best alternative.
We are talking extremes here. Being a master of something from Google is a blessing a curse. There aren't many tests to prove you right but you can learn a lot of things in a quick amount of time.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:36 AM

653 posts, read 817,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Common fallacy

Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM

971 posts, read 1,455,144 times
The problem I foresee is what jobs are going to still exist in the U.S. in 3 or 4 years.?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities