Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM

15 posts, read 19,038 times

Advertisements

Hello I am currently in high school at the moment , and I want to go to college , but I h av e no idea what to do next.
I spent two years of high school (11th / 12th) grade in another country and I am coming bact to the states in February . My problem is by the time I take my sat/act test get everything together to apply to ccollege the deadlines will be over.

So my questions are

1. When can I apply and do I have to wait till next January ?
2. Do I fill out my fasa for this year or wait till next January ?
3. If I do have to wait till next January does anybody have any suggestions as to how to remain productive and occupy the time.
4. Last but not least do I have any other options to get to college this year.

Thank you guys in advance for any help you can give me because I am so confused and I feel like my life is over right now and I will be left behind while everyone else moves on.

Last edited by sugar blossom; 01-16-2014 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Didn't finish writting the post title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 PM

144 posts, read 264,320 times
Your life isn't over. You're better off saying that after you've graduated college, burdened with debt and a worthless degree. Half of your graduating class probably won't even survive their first year. As far as being productive then I recommend you get yourself a job. If you can't find one immediately, then volunteer somewhere until you do.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 PM

Thank you if I have no choice but to wait till next year I plan to work so I can save money on the cost of college and travel for one month.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:59 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Depending on what kinds of schools you're looking at, many of those deadlines are not actually admission deadlines; they're deadlines for full financial aid consideration. You can still get in, but scholarships will have already been awarded so you'll miss out on that.

Get your FAFSA in so you don't miss out on federal student aid and get your applications in as soon as you can.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 AM

Hi jason I am looking towards state schools and I would be done getting set up around april/march I think thats too late. I am thinking about filling for fasa in February because without it I won't be able to afford college .

Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Have you picked out a college? Go and talk to a counselor at a college of your choice. There are exceptions for a lot of reasons. There is an appeal for late registration.

Or try a Community college. They often have two "tracks" to follow. One is to get your AA and the second one is to have a college picked out to transfer your generals to. The counselor at the community college works with the chosen college so you take the correct courses for your major and all your classes transfer to be applied to a BA.

There is nothing wrong with taking a year off too. Work and save up some money. Don't travel too much, that may lead you astray and lose focus.

You need to talk to as many counselors as you can find and don't give up until you get the answer you are comfortable with.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 AM

No I dont have a specific college I want to attend but I know I want to be in the northeast. Community college is cool but I would love a 4 year experience and a chance to leave home.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Well start looking at those in the northeast and get in touch with them. Be persistent. You could attend a community college near your chosen transfer college in the northeast. It won't be the quite same but you would be away from home. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 AM

I really want a four year college experince I have never had a experince like that because I spent my whole school experince being the new kid . So do you think by april I can still apply to college.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
YOu could have taken the ACT/SAT overseas. Most state schools admissions deadline is August so you could still apply. Financial aid deadlines are usually March. I would suggest that you also look at colleges that are test optional.

SAT/ACT Optional 4-Year Universities | FairTest

A lot of these schools are for-profit but many on the list are very good schools. You could apply today, get the FAFSA done this weekend and be in time for financial aid--if you qualify. You have missed most merit scholarship deadlines though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities