Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times

Advertisements

At least with a bachelor degree you MIGHT get an interview at Mickey Ds or Wally World, if there are no more M.A's to interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,681,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
great OP. I am not sure it's 100% one for one, but the depreciation of a college degree is just about equal to that of a new car and a lot more expensive.

I thought this graph was interesting as it shows how much a college graduate makes compared to just a high school graduate. It shows that a college degree is actually more valuable now that it has ever been.

Just because a few individuals went to a university they couldn't afford, took out massive student loans and majored in philosophy or art doesn't negate the benefits of a college degree.

This misconception that a college degree is the same as a high school diploma now and that there used to be some good old days scenario when all college graduates were rich belongs there with the good old days misconception that public education has suffered some kind of decline since the 50's/60's.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:13 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,940 times
As someone said on a 20/20 show about education, "A college degree is like a hunting license for a job."

Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,857 times
I wouldn't take back my undergrad degree, it did open a LOT of doors for me that even back earlier this decade wouldn't have opened otherwise. OTOH, the grad degree I'm wrapping up has been a golden ticket this semester so it's clear just an undergrad degree isn't enough anymore, which is sad.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,878,582 times
I really think I am going to go back to school in January because I have been applying to a lot of jobs and no one seems to be hiring at this moment. Maybe if I go back for my bachelors, I will have more opportunities .

Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM

625 posts, read 953,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I really think I am going to go back to school in January because I have been applying to a lot of jobs and no one seems to be hiring at this moment. Maybe if I go back for my bachelors, I will have more opportunities .

You need at least a bachelor's degree these days. I already have a bachelor's degree and I am trying to decide whether to pursue a master's degree later in life depending on what my next job will be and whether there will be any benefits for tuition reimbursement.

But you can't get anywhere these days without at least a bachelor's degree.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,863 times
quote=anonymous51;21333286]You need at least a bachelor's degree these days. I already have a bachelor's degree and I am trying to decide whether to pursue a master's degree later in life depending on what my next job will be and whether there will be any benefits for tuition reimbursement.

But you can't get anywhere these days without at least a bachelor's degree. [/quote]

Pretty bad the high school diploma has been reduced to the equivalent of being able to wipe your butt with.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,878,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
You need at least a bachelor's degree these days. I already have a bachelor's degree and I am trying to decide whether to pursue a master's degree later in life depending on what my next job will be and whether there will be any benefits for tuition reimbursement.

But you can't get anywhere these days without at least a bachelor's degree.
That's if you are even lucky to get a job with a bachelors

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,863 times
Thumbs down It is a degree people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
No one thinks of an associates as a "college degree". Anytime education is mentioned people are talking about a four year degree. Sounds like you read the data wrong and are now trying to act like they are often combined together as one statistic.

I'd say it's really increasing even less than the graph as they are probably including for-profit degrees which are skewing the numbers.

I don't care what degree whether it is two year or four year a college degree is a college degree.You don't like a two year degree that is your problem .If you have a 2 year stand up and feel proud you have something a lot of americans don't.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:41 AM

78,484 posts, read 60,679,264 times
A lot of generalizations in here.

A bachelors degree in one field from college A may be WAYYYYYY better than a masters degree in another field from college B...or even from college A.

For example, if you have a BS in electrical engineering from university of Illinois, you are probably going to do ok. If you have a masters degree in womens studies from a lower tier school.....you are going to have a tougher time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities