Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,995,478 times

Advertisements

No but it's not far off. There's still a difference between a diploma and bachelors.

But a bachelors value is lessening up against graduate school. There's a reason so many people are flocking to graduate school right now. 1. to "ride" out the sucky job market so hopefully when they finish it will be better. 2. because graduating with a bachelors and landing a great job that will start your career isn't what it use to be.

Now it's graduate with your degree and work at Macy's or some bartending for a year sometimes almost 2 hoping and praying something in your field opens up and will take you.

But sometimes you don't when that high school graduate at 22 has 4 years in a field experience working their way up and you don't have the experience. Experience is killing a lot of people when most new graduates don't have work experience like they use to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 AM

867 posts, read 2,978,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Now it's graduate with your degree and work at Macy's
Funny you say that. One of my best friends in college graduated in 2008 magna *** laude economics major/history minor from a Houston-area university, 3.6+ GPA, was apart of two honor societies (business and economics) and works at a Houston-area Macy's.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM

285 posts, read 869,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Why not do a little experiment?

Take two of your friends. One with a college degree and one with only a high school diploma. Have both people apply for a job with a concentration in whatever the friend with the college degree has and see who gets called in for an interview.

I disagree. You have to apply for a job that you are qualified for, and that qualification may or may not have anything to do with a college degree.

For example, I have 3 college degrees. But if I applied for a job where my husband works, he would get it before me and he has only a high school diploma but has the experience and credentials needed to do the work that he does.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM

285 posts, read 869,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
No but it's not far off. There's still a difference between a diploma and bachelors.

But a bachelors value is lessening up against graduate school. There's a reason so many people are flocking to graduate school right now. 1. to "ride" out the sucky job market so hopefully when they finish it will be better. 2. because graduating with a bachelors and landing a great job that will start your career isn't what it use to be.

Now it's graduate with your degree and work at Macy's or some bartending for a year sometimes almost 2 hoping and praying something in your field opens up and will take you.

But sometimes you don't when that high school graduate at 22 has 4 years in a field experience working their way up and you don't have the experience. Experience is killing a lot of people when most new graduates don't have work experience like they use to.
I agree.

I think a college degree has become the standard in many fields but not all. That is perhaps a more accurate way of stating it than doing an unfair comparison to a high school diploma 50 years ago. Jobs and life in general were different 50 years ago!

When I first started working as an administrative assistant, most of the people I worked with were secretarial school graduates and college dropouts like me. There were a few with college degrees. By the time I left the field, it was more common to have a degree and work as an assistant. But there were still a lot of jobs where it was not needed. Whether the job required it or not, I think it was irrelevant. I left work on Friday, graduated on Saturday, went back to work on Monday and my job performance didn't changed because I had a degree. However, there were many more employers who were willing to look at me because I had it.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyslp View Post
I disagree. You have to apply for a job that you are qualified for, and that qualification may or may not have anything to do with a college degree.

For example, I have 3 college degrees. But if I applied for a job where my husband works, he would get it before me and he has only a high school diploma but has the experience and credentials needed to do the work that he does.
He's talking about a general situation. Anyone can find a personal situation they know about but that means nothing. If you did his example with a thousand people the results will be pretty clear.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,975,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Funny you say that. One of my best friends in college graduated in 2008 magna *** laude economics major/history minor from a Houston-area university, 3.6+ GPA, was apart of two honor societies (business and economics) and works at a Houston-area Macy's.
For how long? It doesn't count if s/he worked there a few months after graduation.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:23 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,716,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would rather frame it this way. One can not raise a family, pay the mortgage, a car loan, support your children with out AT LEAST an Associate Degree.

What went on 50 years ago was, well 50 years ago.
It has no relevance to today.

It is what it is and people should just deal with it.
We are not going back to jobs that pay 20 or more dollars per hour for High School Grads.

The college degree is NOT like a "high school diploma."
It is also not useless.
With no post secondary education, you will go no where.
I can't believe there are people who actually still believe the college myth in 2011. My ex-brother in law makes a doctor's salary working barely 20 hours a week WITHOUT any college education. He is one of the best car salesmen in the state at Carmax and is an expert at smooth talking people into signing premium insurance policies. My other buddy from high school who never went to college works for Verizon and has a comfy living wage desk job where he doesn't really work and surfs the net all day and Verizon is going to pay for him to go to school and pay him six figures once he gets out.

Getting a job has nothing to do with education. It has to do with what you can offer a rich man/corporation to make his company more profitable. Having an excellent work history sans a college degree will get you a job. Having a college degree coupled with an anorexic portfolio will get you an embarrassing job interview with no call back. Most companies aren't taking risks on unproven fresh college grads unless they are the business owner's best friend's son. Once too much time has past since graduation and you haven't landed a full-time job, you can pretty much kiss a career in that field goodbye. This is what happened to college grads in Japan in the 90's which created their Lost Generation.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I can't believe there are people who actually still believe the college myth in 2011. My ex-brother in law makes a doctor's salary working barely 20 hours a week WITHOUT any college education. He is one of the best car salesmen in the state at Carmax and is an expert at smooth talking people into signing premium insurance policies. My other buddy from high school who never went to college works for Verizon and has a comfy living wage desk job where he doesn't really work and surfs the net all day and Verizon is going to pay for him to go to school and pay him six figures once he gets out.

Getting a job has nothing to do with education. It has to do with what you can offer a rich man/corporation to make his company more profitable. Having an excellent work history sans a college degree will get you a job. Having a college degree coupled with an anorexic portfolio will get you an embarrassing job interview with no call back. Most companies aren't taking risks on unproven fresh college grads unless they are the business owner's best friend's son. Once too much time has past since graduation and you haven't landed a full-time job, you can pretty much kiss a career in that field goodbye. This is what happened to college grads in Japan in the 90's which created their Lost Generation.
Why people like yourself can't grasp that your personal examples mean nothing in the big picture is really hard to phantom. There are exceptions to every rule. You just named two that make up about .00001% of the people who didn't go to college.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM

944 posts, read 2,042,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Why people like yourself can't grasp that your personal examples mean nothing in the big picture is really hard to phantom. There are exceptions to every rule. You just named two that make up about .00001% of the people who didn't go to college.
Right on. Anecdotal evidence does not trump data based on huge numbers of people. There are people without college degrees that beat the odds and do very well, but I might puke in the lap of the next person with a "Bill Gates did it" example. Anomalies like him are not representative of the masses that don't have a degree.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,452,667 times
For a woman a college degree is almost mandatory to get a good paying job. For a man a bachelors degree doesn't hurt but it's not really necessary as far as making a good living is concerned. many educated people like teachers and social workers are surprised to find out that there electrician or there mechanic makes a lot more money than they do. many of these blue collar workers serve an apprenticeship while making a livable wage only to get there certifications ensuring them a solid middle class income without having to pay back a huge college debt. statistically a bachelors degree will earn you more money over a lifetime so one would think that college degree is still worth more than a high school diploma but typically you have to major in something like accounting, or engineering if you want a high paying job with just a bachelors degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities