Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times

Advertisements

I was able to take statistics classes in lieu of regular math classes. Check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Mathematics is perhaps one of the most important subjects.....one can hardly call themselves educated without knowing it. In terms of it being boring? Huh?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Just a post to comisserate with you....math was always my most difficult and despised subject. Perhaps the opposite side of your brain is dominant.....more into say visual arts?

Hang in, one day it will be all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I'm so sick of my stupid math class. It's taken all of my energy all semester, it has taken me away from the classes I'm interested in, and I'm still barely passing. And I have to take not one but two more math classes. I would love to find out what moron decided that I have to take all this math??? It's pointless, dragging down my GPA and a waste of my time as far as I'm concerned. I wish math would douse itself in gasoline, light itself on fire, drink antifreeze and asphyxiate itself, drown itself in the ocean, dig a grave and bury itself, light a bomb and blow itself up.

Phew!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
I do not agree. This person shouldn't have to take a math courses if he is going into human resources, art, history, etc. This person just needs to learn the technical skills for his or her major and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I went all the way from remedial math to College Algebra when I was in college. I don't remember a thing about it, except how glad I was that is was over in the end.

But if we didn't have math, you wouldn't have the proper mixture of gas or antifreeze to burn and poison math, wouldn't be able to caclulate how much oxygen math requires before it passes out, how much weight you would need to counter math's bouyancy in salt water, how much money to pay the grave digger without being cheated, how much explosives would be necessary to blow math up and be able to experience the priceless joy and confidence that comes from overcomming and maybe even mastering something that you find intensely difficult.

Chin up and all that, nothing worth doing was ever easy. Unless you are going to school for math-heavy scientific training, discipline and confidence is the subject's ultimate value and worth.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Do you work in the medical field? Because if you do then it's a different story.
Those who do not work in the medical field do not need to take organic chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
Suck it up. I had to take organic chemistry in college. A soul sucking experience if there ever was one. You will go on to more interesting stuff, and maybe the math you took will come in handy in the far future.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
Suck it up. I had to take organic chemistry in college. A soul sucking experience if there ever was one. You will go on to more interesting stuff, and maybe the math you took will come in handy in the far future.
Eh, I've heard the horror stories about orgo, but to be honest, I found it easier than gen chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I was able to take statistics classes in lieu of regular math classes. Check it out!
When I took statistics, it was a 200 level math course. I thought it was a pain, there was a lot of math, but I got an A-. Then I transferred into a college that placed statistics into a different category. Logic, I believe.

But yes, humanities majors generally have the option to take a logic or reasoning course in lieu of a "regular math class".

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do you work in the medical field? Because if you do then it's a different story.
Those who do not work in the medical field do not need to take organic chemistry.
Eh? Organic chemistry is concerned primarily with the making and breaking of carbon bonds. Granted, this would include living organisms, but it also includes synthetic compounds, too. So it is highly useful to say, someone working in the oil industry or or another aspect of environmental science.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
I do not agree. This person shouldn't have to take a math courses if he is going into human resources, art, history, etc. This person just needs to learn the technical skills for his or her major and move on.
A few things.

Someone in human resources should absolutely be proficient in math (possibly above other subjects).

How can you adequately do your job in human resources if you can't calculate the NPV of a potential candidate? How can you hire someone if you can't calculate the opportunity cost of hiring in house vs. outsourcing? How can you pick a medical plan if you can't calculate the true cost to the employee of a group plan rate?

And you should probably have math courses if you major in history or art as well. I mean...what if the cash register goes down at Taco Bell? You have to be able to calculate an order's total in your head.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the American (read:easy) way. Ever wonder why our educations are worthless compared to the rest of the world when we're done? Math is about the only semi-hard mandatory subject left.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Some people do not have an innate aptitude for math - others do - I am one who does not. I was able to get a Bachelor of Science from a well-known private school and only took statistics courses, no math, per se . . .

In business, I can do the basic calculations, spreadsheet stuff (including simple Algebra), etc. I never had a problem not being a genius in math in my entire business career - For me, the actual classes are torture - all the rote practicing and problems - and on tests, yikes! I detest word problems - my brain does not function in a way to be able to grasp them, easily.

Too bad schools cannot recognize that everyone does not need higher level math to succeed in life.

Let those with the natural aptitude excel.

The fact that the U.S. is slipping has very little to do with forcing square learning styles into round test holes and more to do with the schools just boring the crap out of kids so they cannot even think straight when they get out - as the Paul Simon song Kodachrome notes so well.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:13 PM

YouTube - Paul Simon - Kodachrome + lyrics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities