Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times

Advertisements

I started my GRE review studying this past week.

I'm too worried about the verbal.

Math, however, is the wild card. I am not a math person. I understand algebra but do not get geometry, didn't 20 years ago & after my review last night, not getting it now. How do I deal with this?

Can I make up in verbal what I'm goin to be pretty much guessing at in math?

Thoughts/suggestions?

I plan to take the GRE in either Sept or October. Trying to devote 2 hours a night (during week) for the next three months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM

157 posts, read 493,900 times
I thought GRE math is all highschool stuff?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM

I graduated college in 1985.

Never had to take any math at Michigan State nor use any geometry anywhere in my life.

It is "high school" math...which I haven't done since high school. Go figure.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
The GRE math isn't hard, but I completely understand about promptly forgetting all of it immediately after leaving high school! Keep plugging away at the math, as I think at least some of it should start to come back after you give it some more review. It sounds like you have a lot of time set aside for studying, and that should really pay off in the end. I'm also assuming that you're not going into a program that requires a lot of math. I don't think my program paid much attention to the math scores at all; they simply weren't that relevant. I had very good scores in the other areas, and only average math scores, but still got into a great grad program with full funding. Good luck! (and I, too, might have to brush up on that geometry myself - I'm considering going back to finish up a PhD and realized that my scores recently expired. And here I thought I'd never have to do algebra ever again...)

Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
I would get a Geometry for Dummies book. I haven't seen that particular one, but it might give you a basic understanding so you can do better.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Some math summer class at your local Community College maybe?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:54 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,220 times
I took the GRE last year at age 37, and I also had not really had any math since high school. I looked into a lot of different summer classes, none of which seemed suitable, and ended up hiring a math tutor from my university's math department. We met once a week and went over a chapter in the GRE prep book I purchased. I did no studying aside from that - nothing for the verbal - and ended up being thrilled with my scores. I'm in a fully-funded art history program.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
You should look at Princeton Review's: Cracking the GRE. I think that they give a lot of good pointers on geometry. Also, the Geometry for Dummies may be a good book to look at. Luckily for you, research shows that the math scores are easier to improve than are the verbal scores. So, definitely keep plugging away at studying. Both the quantitative and verbal scores will be important. However, I have heard many say that you need to get at least a 1000 (verbal + quantitative) to be competitve. And of course, stronger programs may look for higher scores. If you can get at least a 500 on the quantitative section, and get something higher on the verbal, then you probably should be fine. For Ph.D. programs, the GRE score is an important part of the equation. But, please do not underestimate the "Statement of Interest." That is also an extremely (and I do mean extremely) important part of the equation.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM

Thank you for all the terrific replies & suggestions!

Will be getting some math tutoring over the summer and continue to study dilligently.

I'm returning to school for Counseling & Rehab with my focus on substance abuse. Will be attending a day long seminar this weekend for students looking to apply to grad school. It sounds like it will be very informative & give me a focus on the whole process.

I need a cumulative 1000 on the GRE in accordence with their admittance policy. My GPA was probaby a 2.75 in my last couple years of school.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM

157 posts, read 493,900 times
your GPA is going to be your main concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities