Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,856,497 times

Advertisements

I'm so sick of my stupid math class. It's taken all of my energy all semester, it has taken me away from the classes I'm interested in, and I'm still barely passing. And I have to take not one but two more math classes. I would love to find out what moron decided that I have to take all this math??? It's pointless, dragging down my GPA and a waste of my time as far as I'm concerned. I wish math would douse itself in gasoline, light itself on fire, drink antifreeze and asphyxiate itself, drown itself in the ocean, dig a grave and bury itself, light a bomb and blow itself up.

Phew!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM

51 posts, read 363,128 times
Have you tried going to tutors or your teacher?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,964,128 times
Are you at a 4 year university? If so, try to take the math classes you need at a community college nearby this summer. You'll likely get smaller classes, and the grades probably won't effect your university GPA (they'll transfer over as credit, but they weren't averaged in for me).

I did the same thing with my accounting classes. I hated them, they were frustrating for me, so I took the ones I could at my local CC. 6 weeks with 15 other people and I was done, which was so much more appealing than a whole semester in a 300 person lecture.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,856,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit Knots View Post
Have you tried going to tutors or your teacher?
Only once. It's not so much that I have trouble understanding it, I just hate doing it, and it's a really demanding class that takes me away from the classes I'm actually interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Are you at a 4 year university? If so, try to take the math classes you need at a community college nearby this summer. You'll likely get smaller classes, and the grades probably won't effect your university GPA (they'll transfer over as credit, but they weren't averaged in for me).

I did the same thing with my accounting classes. I hated them, they were frustrating for me, so I took the ones I could at my local CC. 6 weeks with 15 other people and I was done, which was so much more appealing than a whole semester in a 300 person lecture.
I'm going to a community college right now. The class is small and the teacher is really good but I just have no interest in this darn class whatsoever. Thanks for replying.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:22 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,834,730 times
You're sabotaging yourself.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:31 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,574,000 times
Learn it. Love it. Live it. Be the math.
Now then, for your reading pleasure......Jeremiah Dyke

Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 AM

25,157 posts, read 54,024,039 times
I understand what you are saying. I hated any classes that forced technical math on me. It wasn't what I wanted to major in. And it was a waste of time and money because I would just go through the motions and hate every minute of it.

College curricula are idiotic money sucking "stratagems" anyway. You don't get to pick the classes you want to take most of the time. Defeats the purpose of learning. You know your aptitudes best: not some spaced out professor in an ivory tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I'm so sick of my stupid math class. It's taken all of my energy all semester, it has taken me away from the classes I'm interested in, and I'm still barely passing. And I have to take not one but two more math classes. I would love to find out what moron decided that I have to take all this math??? It's pointless, dragging down my GPA and a waste of my time as far as I'm concerned. I wish math would douse itself in gasoline, light itself on fire, drink antifreeze and asphyxiate itself, drown itself in the ocean, dig a grave and bury itself, light a bomb and blow itself up.

Phew!

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-13-2011 at 03:17 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,482,634 times
Suck it up and learn the math. Sometimes you have to work at things. You'll learn this in the working world if you want to earn a decent wage.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 PM

143 posts, read 378,457 times
Suck it up. I had to take organic chemistry in college. A soul sucking experience if there ever was one. You will go on to more interesting stuff, and maybe the math you took will come in handy in the far future.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,868,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

Phew!
I went all the way from remedial math to College Algebra when I was in college. I don't remember a thing about it, except how glad I was that is was over in the end.

But if we didn't have math, you wouldn't have the proper mixture of gas or antifreeze to burn and poison math, wouldn't be able to caclulate how much oxygen math requires before it passes out, how much weight you would need to counter math's bouyancy in salt water, how much money to pay the grave digger without being cheated, how much explosives would be necessary to blow math up and be able to experience the priceless joy and confidence that comes from overcomming and maybe even mastering something that you find intensely difficult.

Chin up and all that, nothing worth doing was ever easy. Unless you are going to school for math-heavy scientific training, discipline and confidence is the subject's ultimate value and worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities