Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM

41 posts, read 44,876 times

Advertisements

Truth be told, unless your going to school to be a nurse
or a lawyer every degree is weak and a waste of time
and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,350,153 times
Perhaps study times for business students is less than LA students because business students are smarter?

I am a Business major myself. I have a much higher GPA in my liberal arts classes than I do in my business classes. I aced every one of my writing classes throughout college (with the exception of my last writing intensive class, which I am currently taking, and I will probably get a B- in because the teacher is a fat -insert terrible word-).

In my university (University of South Florida), every business student has to take core business classes before they can proceed into deeper levels of their discipline. As such, even though I am a business management major, I have had to take numerous classes in mathematics, accounting, and finance. These classes were not easy and had me thrust into depression numerous times due to their difficulty. Is this the standard for most colleges? Or do other universities just make a business management major take business management classes only? If the latter is the case then I agree that a business management major wouldn't have to study as much because the classes strictly referring to that discipline are not all that difficult.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,481,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The point is that modern economists is highly mathematical....so if you hate "math above calculus" you're going to hate economics as well.
My point is that if I have to learn it, then I will learn to like it.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,120,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
My point is that if I have to learn it, then I will learn to like it.
Good luck with that.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 AM

158 posts, read 239,548 times
yeah i tried that too..epic FAIL lol..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,350,949 times
Quote:
What you linked to wasn't the "top seven degrees", here is their list of top paying undergrad degrees:

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

You'll find that business is low on the list.
My degree is on that list and has a mid-career salary in the low 60s. I make over 90k and I'm not even 40 yet. So while that list can be an interesting guide it sure doesn't cover every situation. A liberal arts degree doesn't always equal career fail.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM

41 posts, read 44,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My degree is on that list and has a mid-career salary in the low 60s. I make over 90k and I'm not even 40 yet. So while that list can be an interesting guide it sure doesn't cover every situation. A liberal arts degree doesn't always equal career fail.
Your a rare one though. For the majority of people who get these types of
diplomas it does equal a career fail.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,485,175 times
Considering the type of people that major in business, it's not a surprise. Business majors are popular with athletes looking for an easy major, as well as lazy students that like to party. I will admit there are some smart, serious, hardworking students that major in business. But those people are few and far between.

But liberal arts majors aren't exactly intellectual either. One of my pet peeves is when people major in something like philosophy and they like to show off and think they're such an intellectual. The ironic part is many of these liberal arts majors couldn't do math if their life depended on it. Yeah, go ahead and study that philosophy. Meanwhile, I will study something practical.

The engineering majors are the most intellectual at my college. For a lot of them, their life revolves around schoolwork.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,120,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The ironic part is many of these liberal arts majors couldn't do math if their life depended on it. Yeah, go ahead and study that philosophy. Meanwhile, I will study something practical.
Many philosophy majors are going to be able to do mathematics, philosophy and mathematics require similar skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The engineering majors are the most intellectual at my college. For a lot of them, their life revolves around schoolwork.
Huh? You are equating intellectualism with time spent on school work, that makes little sense. Although they may spend a lot of time on school work (largely busy work created by their professors), engineers aren't on average intellectual.

Also, in terms of Mathematics, Engineers aren't particular apt at mathematics as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,485,175 times
Quote:
Many philosophy majors are going to be able to do mathematics, philosophy and mathematics require similar skills.
There's a philosophy major at my college that took a 300 level English class her first semester, but got placed into Math Appreciation. Clearly, there is a huge imbalance between her math skills and her reading/writing skills.

There is also another philosophy major at my college that took Math Appreciation.

And it's not just philosophy. Other subjects like English and art are the same way...the students might be good at their major but they're bad at math.

I'm no math genius. But I could handle Pre-Calculus. And I'm not the best when it comes to reading/writing skills, but I'm not the worst either. My skills are about equal in Math and English, which was reflected in my SAT scores.

I'd rather be like me than be someone with a huge imbalance between math and English skills (whether we're talking the philosophy major that can't do math or the engineer that can't write a paper).

Quote:
Huh? You are equating intellectualism with time spent on school work, that makes little sense. Although they may spend a lot of time on school work (largely busy work created by their professors), engineers aren't on average intellectual.

Also, in terms of Mathematics, Engineers aren't particular apt at mathematics as well.
I'm equating intellectualism with how much time people need to devote to their major. Liberal arts majors might need to do a lot of reading and writing. But in my experience, out of the people I know at my college, the engineering majors have the most demanding workload. The term "intellectual" is typically used to describe liberal arts majors, but engineers are smart in their own way.

You're saying engineers are bad at math? Please elaborate. Because anyone else would say the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities