Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:12 PM

961 posts, read 2,029,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
With the exception of the rigors involved in Accounting and Economics, "business degrees", e.g. business management, business administration, finance etc while useful (to some extent) are not exactly academically rigorous programs. They are more about practicality than they are about intense research, writing academia related skills much like social work and other like minded degrees.
And in turn, people from hard sciences (Engineering, Computer Science or Programming) tend to look down on Liberal Arts types as foo foo and studying wishy washy stuff that's off no use and that is very easy. Economists too, I work with them, and my dad is an economist too, they really view Liberal Arts types with contempt (economists) almost like they're academically illegitimate. It's possible though that this might just be true of economists/computer scientists/engineers from developing countries and/or emerging markets like India or Africa, to be fair I haven't detected such vibes from Americans.

Back to what you are saying--accounting is as rigorous as economics?

Not "just anyone" can become an economist or do economist. But I see many people that "do accounting" or just go ahead and get the CPA just like that (not saying there aren't good accountants, just that people seem to get them without too much stress).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,595,339 times
The trouble with Liberal Arts is that you have to have some other experience. Mostly business, marketing, or computers, I think. Unfortunately, being good at computers doesn't usually help, you need some form of certification. Nowadays everything is over-specialized.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,481,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
And in turn, people from hard sciences (Engineering, Computer Science or Programming) tend to look down on Liberal Arts types as foo foo and studying wishy washy stuff that's off no use and that is very easy. Economists too, I work with them, and my dad is an economist too, they really view Liberal Arts types with contempt (economists) almost like they're academically illegitimate. It's possible though that this might just be true of economists/computer scientists/engineers from developing countries and/or emerging markets like India or Africa, to be fair I haven't detected such vibes from Americans.

Not "just anyone" can become an economist or do economist. But I see many people that "do accounting" or just go ahead and get the CPA just like that (not saying there aren't good accountants, just that people seem to get them without too much stress).
*Is in accounting* Haters are gonna hate.

But seriusly, I think it is stupid to look down on other majors. Not everyone wants to be an engineer, and not everyone can. I switched my major to accounting because accounting seemed fun and looked like something that I could actually use outside of school. I could have chosen engineering or computers, but they bore me to death. I hate any math that is calculus level or above. I am not saying I can't do it, I just hate to do it. It is better for people to choose careers based on what they like and are good at then by what may or may not "make the most money" or is "harder". Being an economist isn't necessarily a meal ticket either. That being said, I do enjoy economics and if I could I may want to get another BS or MS degree in it. I love my current econ classes, but learning econ doesn't make one a genius.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,107,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtalk View Post
Business degrees now perform worse in regards to income compared to Philosophy, Political Science, and history. So business, for the most part, fails in every category.

"What's ironic about this glut of business majors is this: The students, often egged on by their parents, are pursuing their vocational degree because they assume that it's the ticket to a six-figure income. The evidence, however, suggests otherwise.

When PayScale conducted its latest annual survey of starting and mid-career salaries for college grads in dozens of college majors, business came in as the 60th best-paying college degree. It fared worse than such supposedly impractical degrees as history, political science and philosophy."
Really?

Didn't see that little tidbit at all. As a matter of fact, PayScale lists the top seven (7) degree's. All but one is business. Updated as of 12 Apr 2011.
PayScale - United States Country Salary, Average Salaries by Degree

Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,120,679 times
If you hate any mathematics above calculus than economics is a really bad idea....

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
How so? A business degree from an elite school may get you a better job, but its still a vapid degree program.

Sure it is. Sure. I'm sure a degree in watching paint dry or translating a 1000 year old dead language is much LESS vapid.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Didn't see that little tidbit at all. As a matter of fact, PayScale lists the top seven (7) degree's. All but one is business. Updated as of 12 Apr 2011.
What you linked to wasn't the "top seven degrees", here is their list of top paying undergrad degrees:

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

You'll find that business is low on the list.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What you linked to wasn't the "top seven degrees", here is their list of top paying undergrad degrees:

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

You'll find that business is low on the list.
Err, no. Look at your list. They're all what....B.S.'s?! Take another look at what I linked....they're Bachelor of Science degree's. I did make a mistake though. It should be 5 of 7, not 6 of 7 were business related.

And the first one down your list that isn't segment business related is Food Science. Which in all honesty surprised me. Everything above it is either business or science related. Which fall into the degree's I linked to above.

Thanks for helping.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

Yes but majoring in Economics and becoming a bonafied "Economist" (the actual job title) can be two very different things. Generally speaking, for all intents and purposes, "economists" generally hold PhDs--or atleast some level of advanced degree holding. The quality of the undergrad degree program can be entirely based on pedigree of the institution's quantitative rigors. Accounting is not so much like that at the undergrad degree level--the margin of difference between programs is pretty small, and the rigors of the discipline itself is pretty consistent regardless of the institution.

In regards to the perception of LAs degree programs, I pretty much agree with your assessment, however from what I've gathered about those who are involved in more of the demanding majors such as Engineering, "Hard" Sciences and the like is split between those who see no practical use for the liberals arts, and those whose strengths are not within the confines of the demands of developing in depth reading and writing skills.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Err, no. Look at your list. They're all what....B.S.'s?! Take another look at what I linked....they're Bachelor of Science degree's. I did make a mistake though. It should be 5 of 7, not 6 of 7 were business related.
No what? The top paying degrees aren't business related, they are math and science related. What you linked to doesn't tell you anything in terms of particular degrees, "Bachelors of Science", etc isn't a particular degree, its a very general grouping of degrees (schools don't even use the "BS" title consistently).

The comment was about business undergrads doing worse than liberal arts undergrads, not science undergrads doing worse than liberal arts undergrads. Payscale confirms what the other poster stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities