Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM

8,056 posts, read 10,651,352 times

Advertisements

Get out of retail at the store level - it's not what it used to be.

I don't have a degree, but worked as a department manager for a major store for 15 years. I felt so sorry for the assistant managers and store manager, who had retail related degrees. Here they had worked hard at college, only to have jobs being micromanged by district managers and the corporate office, threatened with their jobs if they didn't meet all kinds of "numbers", working crap hours (holidays, weekends, nights), and trying to do it all with skeleton crews of mostly part-time kids, and lousy pay to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
You've got to do your own research.

I majored in finance in 2004. Just because you have professors doesn't mean that they're very smart, or that they're experts in their field. I had professors who...A. Didn't know if we were in a real estate bubble or not (this was 2002-2004 California! Where 5% of the population could afford a home based on income). What they were teaching about stocks, finance, etc was pretty nebulous.

There can be a big difference between teaching something and getting a paycheck, and the real world. Depends on the subject. 70% of the people I had didn't know much outside of the textbook. I think its true in a lot of fields.

You've got to think for yourself. Don't hand your future over to a school or professor. College is basically an aide, like someone giving you a push if you're on a boat going out on the water.
I agree. I always found it amusing when a professor gave me career advice when he/she has never had a job, let alone worked in the field.

Many professors like to find students with whom they can turn them into little clones of themselves, and will blindly follow their views without question. I was not that student.

ANyway, when I was in my 3rd year, I thought about changing majors, but I was about 30 years old, and I was ready to get on with my life. In addition, the major I was considering would have added another 2-3 years. I decided I would finish, and I could always go back to school later in life.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:07 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,415,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Get out of retail at the store level - it's not what it used to be.

I don't have a degree, but worked as a department manager for a major store for 15 years. I felt so sorry for the assistant managers and store manager, who had retail related degrees. Here they had worked hard at college, only to have jobs being micromanged by district managers and the corporate office, threatened with their jobs if they didn't meet all kinds of "numbers", working crap hours (holidays, weekends, nights), and trying to do it all with skeleton crews of mostly part-time kids, and lousy pay to boot.
ya, my manager at my last job had very little retail experience. I was more qualified for her position. Regardless, she wound up getting fired right before me and she's a good person, she's one of my friends now. She just wasn't experienced enough I guess. Either way, that description is what I've seen at my other retail jobs and its completely turned me off from working at the store level when I graduate..corporate sounds way better, at least I hope so.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,415,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I agree. I always found it amusing when a professor gave me career advice when he/she has never had a job, let alone worked in the field.

Many professors like to find students with whom they can turn them into little clones of themselves, and will blindly follow their views without question. I was not that student.

ANyway, when I was in my 3rd year, I thought about changing majors, but I was about 30 years old, and I was ready to get on with my life. In addition, the major I was considering would have added another 2-3 years. I decided I would finish, and I could always go back to school later in life.
I've actually had professors who are either currently working in the field they're teaching or used to.

But ya, I'm like you, I think on my own terms and some professors don't like that challenge, hah oh well. My anthropology teacher loved it though, I wound up with an A in that class!

Well, I'm not 30 yet (almost 25), but my only ticket out of this podunk town is a degree and I'm already terrified to start over at 27/28 years old as a woman in a brand new city..maybe if I was a man, it wouldn't seem so bad to start over that late. Either way, I'm not sure how much financial aide I can continue to receive if I change my major again so that's why I'm being very careful with any decisions I make.

John-I've actually been doing a ton of research. Found a few companies I'd be willing to intern for/possibly work for. I want to stay on the west coast and there's a ton of companies out here. There are even some corporate offices in my field, just 2 hours away in Phoenix if I decide I'm not ready to move too far when I graduate (I already have a social circle in Phoenix so meeting people there wouldn't be hard). I'm finding a lot of information! There's also two clubs at the U that I want to join that'll link me to a lot of companies and recruiters and that will also look good on my resume.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:43 PM

632 posts, read 1,181,120 times
Quote:

I agree with the bolded portion. At my school I have a few professors who, instead of teaching focus more on marketing there major that they're involved in and getting students to follow suit.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM

177 posts, read 405,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I'm working on my Bachelor of Science degree in Retailing and Consumer science. There are a few things that I want to do with it, but I guess the reason why I'm having doubts is because I have been working in retail, at the store level for almost 4 years now and things always start off really well, and then politics begin to interfere. I know what I need to do, but I'm not sure if its me, or if this field is just not right for me, therefore getting me caught in the politics of everything. I really would like to work more at the corporate level in buying/merchandising offices, but ultimately I'd like to use that experience to open my own business down the road. I'm still only in my pre-major classes so I'm about half way done, meaning I still only have my general requirements to work on (I have only a few general classes left) so there might be a chance I can still change my major if I must. I start the University of Arizona in the Fall to take my prereqs and I don't want to waste my money if I wind up changing my mind after that, while I'm getting ready to apply for admittance to my major.

I realize that politics is every job in every field, but the level of politics I'm finding in the retail world, is disgusting to me and its making me very nervous about pursuing this degree and working in this high drama field for the rest of my working life. I'm too simple and easy going for such high strung people.

The worst part is, I'm about to turn 25 and I can't keep fussing around, I NEED a degree so I'm scared to change it, not to mention, I don't know what else I would do, or if I can just stick with my major and go into a similar, less drama filled field.

The only other field that remotely interests me, is public health, but I really have no idea if I'm smart enough for it, nor what exactly I could do with it. One of my best friends is getting her masters in it and everything she tells me about it sounds really neat, but again, I'm not sure I have what it takes. Aside from that, I'm not sure what classes I already have would transfer into it the major.
First off do what makes you happy. Try speaking with an academic advisor or counselor to discuss your career options. Take a career assessment test to see where your strentgths and weaknesses are. Since you don't know exactly want you want to do yet don't waste time & money taking courses. Google "what can you do with a degree in public health" and see what comes up. If it interests you, then go for it. If not, look elsewhere. You'll find something compatible! Good luck!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,895,840 times
Quote:

I think the hidden truth about college. Professors are there...

50% for a steady paycheck
25% for some kind of power or influence...i.e. following their ideology, making little clones of themselves. Some kind of influence or sway over the student body.
And....maybe 25% because they're really experts in their field.

I had a really good business law professor. He was 60% good law professor. And 40%, he wanted to be a good teacher. 0% ideology or making people into clones of himself.

But I had professors that were 70% steady paychecks, and 30% book smarts. No real world smarts. A lot of business theory is very nebulous and tentative. Much easier to teach marketing or retail, than to be Sam Walton or Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs. I think much of whats taught in business gives you a false sense of confidence...that you know what has created a success or failure. But much of business is unknowable, or out of your hands. I.e., govt regulation, changes in the economy, changes in trade. Who wants to deal with all that?? Thus all these "expert" professors.

Much easier to teach than get killed by China producing your widget 50 cents cheaper.

In terms of doing your own research, study sales techniques, public speaking, presentation giving, networking, etc on your own. Don't rely on college to provide the complete "package" for career success. Study the economy on your own. Draw your own conclusions.

They should be incorporating the economy in general education in highschool. I.e. my cousin wanted to be a welder after highschool. But, what's that tied to? Construction. What's that tied to? Housing. Is that sustainable. Low and behold now...he's out of a job.

College is there to give you a push out onto the water.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM

177 posts, read 405,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think the hidden truth about college. Professors are there...

50% for a steady paycheck
25% for some kind of power or influence...i.e. following their ideology, making little clones of themselves. Some kind of influence or sway over the student body.
And....maybe 25% because they're really experts in their field.

I had a really good business law professor. He was 60% good law professor. And 40%, he wanted to be a good teacher. 0% ideology or making people into clones of himself.

But I had professors that were 70% steady paychecks, and 30% book smarts. No real world smarts. A lot of business theory is very nebulous and tentative. Much easier to teach marketing or retail, than to be Sam Walton or Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs. I think much of whats taught in business gives you a false sense of confidence...that you know what has created a success or failure. But much of business is unknowable, or out of your hands. I.e., govt regulation, changes in the economy, changes in trade. Who wants to deal with all that?? Thus all these "expert" professors.

Much easier to teach than get killed by China producing your widget 50 cents cheaper.

In terms of doing your own research, study sales techniques, public speaking, presentation giving, networking, etc on your own. Don't rely on college to provide the complete "package" for career success. Study the economy on your own. Draw your own conclusions.

They should be incorporating the economy in general education in highschool. I.e. my cousin wanted to be a welder after highschool. But, what's that tied to? Construction. What's that tied to? Housing. Is that sustainable. Low and behold now...he's out of a job.

College is there to give you a push out onto the water.
Agreed. Most people don't check the job market before selecting a major or course of study. They're so wrapped up in getting into the 'best' school and they're not worrying about nothing else. College is a stepping stone, not a guaranteed gig after you graduate. I have met several people who majored in one thing & ended up working in a completely different field all togther. I strongly believe in certain sectors the masters and above count for a lucrative position. Not the undergrad, it's just there to give you a boost to see what your interests & likes are. I'm one of those people. I'm enrolled in a bachelors of legal studies degree but, once I finish I plan to obtain a masters in either criminal justice and/or public administration.

I'm sorry for your cousin, at least he didn't waste 4 years of schooling & thousands of dollars in tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities