Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 PM

83 posts, read 247,628 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for a while and you guys seem very knowledgeable so maybe you can answer a question I have regarding the CPA Exam.

I'm currently an undergraduate student at UNLV and I hope to finish my bachelor's degree in accounting by next year. I know there is a 150-credit requirement in Nevada to sit for the CPA exam, so I was wondering if I should go for the MBA or just take the rest of the classes at the CC.

My dilemma is that UNLV is not a great school and it keeps getting more expensive every semester. Also, since I obtained a bookkeeper certificate from a CC before deciding to go for the bachelor's degree I'm probably going to have around 130 credits by the time I graduate.

So what would be the smartest choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:19 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,116,559 times
If you want to get into counsulting or management get the MBA. If you want to stick to auditing and reviewing financial records take some additional course and go for the CPA. If you go the route of the CPA take some courses in marketing and or economics to broaden your knowledge plus some accounting courses to stay sharp.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,051,333 times
Take an extra business administration class or get a management certificate. Nobody cares for MBAs. Employers want experience only.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,491,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isostasy View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for a while and you guys seem very knowledgeable so maybe you can answer a question I have regarding the CPA Exam.

I'm currently an undergraduate student at UNLV and I hope to finish my bachelor's degree in accounting by next year. I know there is a 150-credit requirement in Nevada to sit for the CPA exam, so I was wondering if I should go for the MBA or just take the rest of the classes at the CC.

My dilemma is that UNLV is not a great school and it keeps getting more expensive every semester. Also, since I obtained a bookkeeper certificate from a CC before deciding to go for the bachelor's degree I'm probably going to have around 130 credits by the time I graduate.

So what would be the smartest choice?
I would wait on the MBA and focus on landing a job. It's tough, but you can find something if you are patient and prepare well. Then develop a set of experience that makes you competitive for a well-reputed MBA program. As an MBA absolvent myself from a pretty good school - not a Harvard by any means - I can tell you that a lot of the degree value is the name behind it and the network you develop while at school. And most good MBA programs all but require work experience before accepting you - some have 4-5 years or more. In summary, you can make a big difference in your bang for the buck by waiting to get an MBA from a more competitive program.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 PM

360 posts, read 1,021,550 times
I think in your situation you might be able to mix it up a little. Yes, generally, you should have 4-5 years work experience before going for an MBA, but if you know you'd like to do one in a few years taking a few classes as a nonmatriculated student that could eventually transfer to an MBA program would be more beneficial than taking a lot of CC classes that won't. There's a huge difference in tuition and a limit on how many MBA classes you can take as a non-matriculated student (usually around 12 credits) but if you think you'd want the MBA eventually (even if you don't want to do it now) having some of the classes out of the way now would help.

Given you're a new grad though, I'd STRONGLY recommend you try to get work experience first and this should be your priority above all else. Degrees without practical experience mean very little in this economy, especially in business.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,244,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Take an extra business administration class or get a management certificate. Nobody cares for MBAs. Employers want experience only.
I disagree with that statement. For entry level work it might not matter, but once you start aiming for senior management positions, companies do look for MBAs.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM

286 posts, read 701,404 times
An MBA is is helpful if:
1) You want to work in the Northeast, where credentialism is rampant.
2) You want to work in a business advisory role (investment banking, management consulting, etc.). It often gives you a veneer of credibility and a way in with institutional clients.

If not, skip it.

The educational value of an MBA is dubious. The admissions criteria are laughable. Most importantly, the opportunity cost--particularly for someone who is young and can afford to take risks--is enormous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities