Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:37 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,921,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Why are students not calling up hiring managers in industry X beforehand to gauge where they hire from? Why are they asking the college salesmen?
I'm not perfect I guess, it didn't even occur to me as I was thinking that restaurants were everywhere and there were tons of opportunity for culinary grads. You know what ? Shoot me, 'kay ?

I suppose you think the treatment I suffered and the lies the restaurant used to make me bust my ass even harder were perfectly ok. Let's pick on the victim. Americas favorite pastime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:40 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,794,482 times
I was a business major. I would advise anyone to avoid the for profit schools like the plague.
Attached Thumbnails
Convince me that college is not a scam-image443.jpg  

Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM

784 posts, read 2,733,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I'm not perfect I guess, it didn't even occur to me as I was thinking that restaurants were everywhere and there were tons of opportunity for culinary grads. You know what ? Shoot me, 'kay ?

I suppose you think the treatment I suffered and the lies the restaurant used to make me bust my ass even harder were perfectly ok. Let's pick on the victim. Americas favorite pastime
Everybody needs to be accountable for their own actions. Supply and demand. The restaurant knows that if you quit, they can easily hire someone to take your place. This was not slavery - and you could have quit anytime you wanted. Nothing illegal was done.

We need to start teaching basic economics to high school students.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:51 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,686,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
College can either be a good or bad thing, depending on what you major in. I would put more stock in someone going to a two year community college in learning a skill that people will need more so than having someone go to school 4-5 years to get a degree in something that does not guarantee a thing. Majority of people who go to college go there because they've been told that in order to get a good paying job, one must invest in getting a college degree. However, with the depressed economy and a horrible job market, I would choose wisely why I need to go to college and if I do, what degree can I get that can get me a job.

Students in high school or who just graduated high school don't put to much stock in what job they might want to do if they go to college. A few know what they want to do and if it requires going to college, great, but if it doesn't, then great also. Why go to college to get a degree that will not help you.

I realize people are going to be on here and say things like "why can't people go to college for the sake of knowledge, increasing the mind, blah, blah, blah....". That's good if you're rich, but people don't have money to waste just to say they went to college and got a degree. Or someone might say "a high school diploma doesn't cut it anymore". On the contrary, people with high school diplomas still make money. Furthermore, there are people with bachelors degrees, masters degrees, and doctorates degrees who are either underemployed or unemployed and are trying to find a job. To say one is better with a college degree compared to a high school diploma even though there are many people out there with higher education degrees who are trying to find a job is only looking at one side of the picture, not the entire piece. Someone who might have a high school diploma might get a job that only requires a high school diploma verses the one with a college degree because the hiring manager is thinking the person with the college degree will want too much money. So the guy with the degree is back in trying to find a job while the person who has a high school diploma has the job, even if it is low pay.

Nobody can convince anyone of something if they don't want to hear it. If you don't want go to college, then don't go to college. I went to college, graduated with a degree 6 years ago, and regretted it. It simply doesn't help me with employers who are choosy with whom they want to hire.
I went to college and regretted it as well. I have elementary education degree and can't find a job. As a matter of fact, I am applying for minimum wage jobs. Teaching jobs, especially elementary teaching jobs, are not there. The field has been and always will be severely oversaturated even after the Baby Boomers retire.

College sell teaching degrees and are still spouting the teacher shortage bull sh$#. At the university I attended in Indiana, you would have to be a total moron not to be able to get into the teacher education program. You could easily get in with a 2.3 GPA. Any one can get into the teacher education program even if you party through out school. Unfortunately, there are many folks out there that are going into to teaching because the classes in the teacher education program are easy. Not to mention, you can have any ole liberal arts degree and get an alternative license to teach. I mean, you can get a degree in something easy and go through Teach for America and get a job. Teach for America is now flooded with applicants. Teaching degrees are TOTAL SCAMS. You are better off waitressing and teaching yourself a skill than going for a teaching degree.

There are college degrees that are not scams and have good chances at employment afterward. For example, physician's assistant, occupational therapy, and physical therapy to name a few. All graduate degrees, but good job prospects.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,921,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Everybody needs to be accountable for their own actions. Supply and demand. The restaurant knows that if you quit, they can easily hire someone to take your place. This was not slavery - and you could have quit anytime you wanted. Nothing illegal was done.

We need to start teaching basic economics to high school students.
I think you need to read my entire post more carefully, please. In NO place did I say anything illegal was done. But just because something isn't illegal doesn't make it RIGHT. Also, I'm not sure you understand what an externship actually IS. It is part of your schooling that you are REQUIRED to complete so many hours of free work. You can't quit or you forfeit the whole thing and get no diploma.

How you can think it's ok for a restaurant to dangle the carrot and stick for a job that doesn't even EXIST is completely beyond me. Whatever happened to empathy and compassion in this country ?

Your kind comments SO warm my heart. Appreciate them deeply, thanks.

P.S. Your "everyone needs to be accountable" comment I have to ask if that includes EVERYONE to you ? Meaning the schools & places of business for how they TREAT real human beings. Are they accountable as well for the effects of their duplicity on the sucker who bought into the lies that this country continues to perpetuate. Top of the list Lie being the "If you work hard and get a good education, then you too can live the good life" bull****.

Last edited by Bandon; 05-28-2011 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Additional comment

Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM

784 posts, read 2,733,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I think you need to read my entire post more carefully, please. In NO place did I say anything illegal was done. But just because something isn't illegal doesn't make it RIGHT. Also, I'm not sure you understand what an externship actually IS. It is part of your schooling that you are REQUIRED to complete so many hours of free work. You can't quit or you forfeit the whole thing and get no diploma.

How you can think it's ok for a restaurant to dangle the carrot and stick for a job that doesn't even EXIST is completely beyond me. Whatever happened to empathy and compassion in this country ?

Your kind comments SO warm my heart. Appreciate them deeply, thanks.

P.S. Your "everyone needs to be accountable" comment I have to ask if that includes EVERYONE to you ? Meaning the schools & places of business for how they TREAT real human beings. Are they accountable as well for the effects of their duplicity on the sucker who bought into the lies that this country continues to perpetuate. Top of the list Lie being the "If you work hard and get a good education, then you too can live the good life" bull****.
I understand what an externship is. I understand that you can quit. Nobody put a gun to your head and said you must finish or you must get a diploma. I also understand that it also doesn't guarantee you a job. Sure, they said you would get a job afterwards. But was it in writing? Is there a legal contract that states this?

Welcome to the real world buddy. With sky-high unemployment, compassion and empathy are dead. Just because a company says X, doesn't mean they are legally bound to follow through, unless it was in writing.

As far as I am concerned, the school and business did nothing wrong in a legal sense. Morally, it is arguable, but morals don't pay the bills. "If you work hard and get a good education, then you too can live the good life" - I don't believe that it is bull. I also don't believe that culinary school falls under the umbrella of a "good education". Supply and demand.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:27 PM

547 posts, read 941,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I went to college and regretted it as well. I have elementary education degree and can't find a job. As a matter of fact, I am applying for minimum wage jobs. Teaching jobs, especially elementary teaching jobs, are not there. The field has been and always will be severely oversaturated even after the Baby Boomers retire.

College sell teaching degrees and are still spouting the teacher shortage bull sh$#. At the university I attended in Indiana, you would have to be a total moron not to be able to get into the teacher education program. You could easily get in with a 2.3 GPA. Any one can get into the teacher education program even if you party through out school. Unfortunately, there are many folks out there that are going into to teaching because the classes in the teacher education program are easy. Not to mention, you can have any ole liberal arts degree and get an alternative license to teach. I mean, you can get a degree in something easy and go through Teach for America and get a job. Teach for America is now flooded with applicants. Teaching degrees are TOTAL SCAMS. You are better off waitressing and teaching yourself a skill than going for a teaching degree.

There are college degrees that are not scams and have good chances at employment afterward. For example, physician's assistant, occupational therapy, and physical therapy to name a few. All graduate degrees, but good job prospects.
Sorry to hear that. My mom works for a school district they were either laying off people or not hiring anybody for next year. They didn't even have a job fair this year because the school district doesn't have any money in the budget to hire more teachers.....

It's like that everywhere with school districts laying off/not hiring teachers. The states that fund public education just don't have the money and probably won't for several years to come.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:49 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,794,482 times
Elementary Ed was a place for the math illiterate to hide, as the only numbers course required was Math 107--Math for Elementary Teachers. Their student's test scores reflect their incompetence.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,461,801 times
Default College: it's not for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm not going to get too long winded, I'll give the cliff notes version of my points. I live in SC, the starting pay for a teacher with a bachelors is around 27K. Depending on where I would go to school, I could pay as much as 27k a year for my education, or more (Furman), thus leaving me hundreds of thousand of dollars in debt, which will take me decades to repay because the field pays so poorly. But it's not just education, almost all fields pay much less then it took to earn a degree in said field. So how is it logical to pay so much money with such a poor return on my investment? College is illogical.

For some folks, it truly is.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,146,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There are career areas that will offer you more than the cost of advanced education, especially over the course of a lifetime. As proof, I offer myself. I work in financial planning and analysis for a large corporation. I went to college and later to grad school (took on $50k in debt). I'm in my early 30s with about seven years of experience. I've hopped around strategically and felt with layoffs. Today, I make low 100ks before bonus. My wife, who also went to college and works in management at a biotech, makes more. We have over $200k in savings and liquid assets in addition to our bank accounts. I have $17k of debt left, which should be gone by end of year.

We're not millionaires, and the future is always risky. But I strive hard to continue my skill development and network so that I'm in the sweet spot for potential opportunities in case I have to make a move.

Nothing is guaranteed for me, but I can tell you one thing: we wouldn't be making this kind of money and pulling together these kinds of savings if we had foregone higher education and spent the last seven years in a job that would have us saying "do you want fries with that?"

While I'm back in school, and Will be getting my Masters degree, I have to laugh at statements like this one.

I see over and over that the people on here seem to think that there are only minimum wage jobs, and College degrees.

No Skilled tradesmen, Truck drivers, small business owners etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities