Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 13,850 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a Psychology major right now, and I'm going to be a senior in the fall. I've been kind of worried recently about what my life will be like after I graduate. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like psychology is a very marketable degree. So I have been kind of worried about what I should do, because I don't want to go to graduate school, and even if I did, I don't really think I want to be a counselor. Basically, I have one year left, which is enough to get a minor in anything and still graduate on time. But I'm not sure what to minor in, but I've been considering a minor in Marketing or Business. I'm not really sure why I picked Psychology as a major, I just made the decision because I thought it was a good choice, and it sounded better than all the other majors. I never really cared about Business at all, but honestly, I don't want to graduate and move back into my parent's house, working at Best Buy. That would really be a shame, considering I spent 4 years studying and I end up working at a place you don't even need a high school degree for. I'm doing an internship at a psych lab right now. I guess I just need some direction. All I know is that when I graduate, I want to move out of my parent's house and make enough money to live on my own. And I want to work somewhere that is satisfying. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,480,532 times
A lot of psych majors head towards HR when they graduate. Consider looking into that. There are certainly jobs there.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:01 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,935,132 times
this isnt the place for your type of question.

you should be talking with a career counselor or somebody at your school.

you never mentioned what school you went to. that is integral to the advice you'll get on the forum.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM

12,114 posts, read 23,375,101 times
There aren't too many jobs in the psych field in which a four year degree is sufficient for employment. There are a number of managerial jobs out there in retail/customer service that require any kind of degree to be hired, and those are most likely the type of jobs you will be looking at/competing for. Ex., I know a guy who got his degree and is now a manager for a large chain grocery store, I know a woman with the same story, another guy I knew is a manager for a large chain car rental place, and another guy was a manager for a contract cleaning company. The degree will allow you to apply for jobs that other people can't apply for, but chances of doing anything degree related are pretty slim. Everyone wants to work someplace satisfying...most people don't have that luxury.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There aren't too many jobs in the psych field in which a four year degree is sufficient for employment. There are a number of managerial jobs out there in retail/customer service that require any kind of degree to be hired, and those are most likely the type of jobs you will be looking at/competing for. Ex., I know a guy who got his degree and is now a manager for a large chain grocery store, I know a woman with the same story, another guy I knew is a manager for a large chain car rental place, and another guy was a manager for a contract cleaning company. The degree will allow you to apply for jobs that other people can't apply for, but chances of doing anything degree related are pretty slim. Everyone wants to work someplace satisfying...most people don't have that luxury.
your wrong joe.

nobody can accurately address his question until he states where he is going to school.

a psychology degree from idaho state and a psychology degree from northwestern are two completely different things.

until we can make the distinction, its just a guessing game.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,254,285 times
We don't HAVE to know what school he is attending to offer some suggestions. A psych degree from Northwestern is probably better than one from Idaho St., but I don't believe psych from NW is certain to lead to a rewarding job.

I think the HR suggestion is a good one. Some universities teach HR.

Psychology impacts economics too. I think a minor in economics could be useful. A traditional large company might not hire him, but governments might. I hope the OP also has strong computer skills. Social networking is a huge area now, and much if it is driven by human behavior.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
We don't HAVE to know what school he is attending to offer some suggestions. A psych degree from Northwestern is probably better than one from Idaho St., but I don't believe psych from NW is certain to lead to a rewarding job.

I think the HR suggestion is a good one. Some universities teach HR.

Psychology impacts economics too. I think a minor in economics could be useful. A traditional large company might not hire him, but governments might. I hope the OP also has strong computer skills. Social networking is a huge area now, and much if it is driven by human behavior.
im an econ major, econ has nothing to do with psychology.

a common minor for an econ major is political science or business.

And a psych degree from Northwestern will give him more opportunities then the best engineering and business programs at 2nd rate schools.

Until we know where hes going, we cant offer him suggestions on career potential, or if he'll need a graduate program.

We have to know the school to make a determination.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM

7 posts, read 13,850 times
Hello, Sorry I didn't mention this before. I go to FIU, Florida International University. I was thinking about Human Resources or Marketing as options, too. My computer skills are okay, I can use Microsoft Office Suite and the Internet fine, and I can type pretty fast, but other than that not much else. I can't program or anything.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 PM

26 posts, read 56,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybuddy4848 View Post
Hello. I am a Psychology major right now, and I'm going to be a senior in the fall. I've been kind of worried recently about what my life will be like after I graduate. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like psychology is a very marketable degree. So I have been kind of worried about what I should do, because I don't want to go to graduate school, and even if I did, I don't really think I want to be a counselor. Basically, I have one year left, which is enough to get a minor in anything and still graduate on time. But I'm not sure what to minor in, but I've been considering a minor in Marketing or Business. I'm not really sure why I picked Psychology as a major, I just made the decision because I thought it was a good choice, and it sounded better than all the other majors. I never really cared about Business at all, but honestly, I don't want to graduate and move back into my parent's house, working at Best Buy. That would really be a shame, considering I spent 4 years studying and I end up working at a place you don't even need a high school degree for. I'm doing an internship at a psych lab right now. I guess I just need some direction. All I know is that when I graduate, I want to move out of my parent's house and make enough money to live on my own. And I want to work somewhere that is satisfying. That's all.

As a fellow alumnus of FIU, I can tell you that the probability of you working at Best Buy and not being able to move out of your parents us is quite high. I graduated with a degree in criminal justice back in 2006 with the intent of going to law school. After being accepted to law school I decided not go to and thus sought out employment. 5 years later, I am still in the same situation i was in when I first graduated (i.e no full time job). Getting a job that will pay you what you need to survive on your own in Miami is going to be tough. If your goal is to move out of your parents home and live in Miami, your better off seeking employment out of state. Miami is too damn expensive.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 AM

5,344 posts, read 6,186,705 times
FIU has a pretty good I/O Psychology department. I would see if you could get involved with Vish Viswesvaran, he is one of the top I/O Psychologists in the field. If nothing else you can get involved in his lab and he has tons of contacts in the field.

It will be difficult to do much with a bachelor's in psychology from most schools (including Northwestern). I believe FIU has a master's program in I/O Psychology (2 years) which will put you in a very good position to get a job in HR, or as an organizational consultant.

To be perfectly honest nobody cares about your minor. If you really want to do that you are going to need to double major. Regardless you are going to need an advanced degree whether you choose to take the business psychology (I/O) route or the business route (MBA).

To many people have MBAs today. If you want to work in business (unless you are a CPA or have your CFA) you are going to need an MBA to move anywhere within your company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities