Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,719,805 times

Advertisements

I've always heard that the Ivies are pretty generous with aid while the private SLACs aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,371,266 times
You are also paying for name recognition, connections, reference letteres and alumni networks.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,290,387 times
None of these schools are worth it when there are better, cheaper, state schools to attend.

And the idea that you will get connections is kind of laughable-- connections in undergrad? What with the other 18 - 21 year olds?

Often you will find the same "connections" at good state schools-- if not more connections due to the large amount of alumni they have. A school with more than 60,000 students will definitely have a bigger alumni network then one with < 20,000.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM

326 posts, read 873,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
None of these schools are worth it when there are better, cheaper, state schools to attend.

And the idea that you will get connections is kind of laughable-- connections in undergrad? What with the other 18 - 21 year olds?

Often you will find the same "connections" at good state schools-- if not more connections due to the large amount of alumni they have. A school with more than 60,000 students will definitely have a bigger alumni network then one with < 20,000.
I don't necessarily agree with that. I think that some industries - ie finance, management consulting - are overwhelmingly dominated by alums of elite private schools and that said industries tend to be fairly incestuous in hiring from those same schools.

Of course, this distinction doesn't apply to every school on this list, either. Only a select few.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,290,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that. I think that some industries - ie finance, management consulting - are overwhelmingly dominated by alums of elite private schools and that said industries tend to be fairly incestuous in hiring from those same schools.

Of course, this distinction doesn't apply to every school on this list, either. Only a select few.
Do they care for a harvard BA. (undergrad)

Or is it only a harvard MBA (grad school)

Cause that makes a big difference!

As I understand it, for finance, management and consulting-- they are looking for MBA's from top schools. Getting an MBA from a top school is a completely different story as far as connections go. Connections with undergrad seems kind of silly.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,789,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Do they care for a harvard BA. (undergrad)

Or is it only a harvard MBA (grad school)

Cause that makes a big difference!

As I understand it, for finance, management and consulting-- they are looking for MBA's from top schools. Getting an MBA from a top school is a completely different story as far as connections go. Connections with undergrad seems kind of silly.
This really depends. The "MBA" that the public perceives...and the "MBA" that is out in the industry are quite different. Although Big Name/Top-Tier MBA programs and graduates are in demand and earn 6-figure salaries upon graduation, that is not the goal or point of the majority of MBA programs or even degree seekers. Your average MBA student is looking to increase their salary by 1/3. Keep in mind, many of the students in the Top-Tier programs already have a career established where they make anywhere from $60K to $90K already. Although this is changing (as more top-tier programs are considering top-notch students right out of their undergraduate programs).

So Top-Tier MBA programs are a beast of their own...mainly because of the caliber of the students involved. HBS (Harvard) has an admission rate of 12%...so you're really talking about the cream of the crop. Therefore I don't think it is a choice for most people who want to pursue an MBA.

Undergrad can be good for connections because you spend 4-years there as oppossed to 1-2 years in an MBA program. I know when I really get to know people in my program (usually happens once I have two classes with them), they are ready to graduate. Yes, you can get some more career-focused networking and internships in....but I still keep those ties to my undergraduate institution.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,266,069 times
Not silly at all - my university isn't on that list, but undergrad connections and opportunities were absolutely huge at my university in the finance & engineering fields

You network with alumni, industry professionals, etc.

I worked for a trading firm that had a strong ivy presence and they definitely did have an ivy preference, but you could get in while an undergrad and make connections that would secure you an honest shot and even a leg up when it came to post-graduate employment

I had a buddy who got into cambridge for post-grad studies because one of our professors was a cambridge graduate and they became close

Outside of my university I had a friend who went to an ivy - he picked up an internship with a major law firm that also had ties to one of the 4 major sports .... after graduation he worked with the major sport corporate offices and then went onto law school .... he was then able to lean on his connections to help get a foot in the door for a very prominent clerkship .... these connections were made at the undergraduate level

Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,309,855 times
My undergrad institution was in the top 15, although I understand that there is a serious discount rate, and only the wealthiest student pay full sticker price.

Unfortunately, the tuition pays for a lot more than education. There is plenty of fat to cut without affecting the classroom experience.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,876,568 times
FYI, a lot of the schools on that list, particularly those that are not nationally known, have a reputation for being colleges that cater to a fairly, upscale wealthy crowd. The sort that went to a K-12 private school (fancy campus, small classes, wears uniforms, full of rich kids). Lots of those kids prefer those colleges on that list because they resemble their high school rather than a mega 30,000 student state college campus full of middle class students. Plus, their parents often can afford to pay the tuition.

If you are a middle class student where cost is a major factor, and you can't get a scholarship at those schools, then it doesn't make sense to go to one of those private schools (except for Standford, MIT, etc).

Yeah, those schools are pretty generous with scholarships and so they have a decent amount of middle class and poor students, but it isn't anywhere near what it is at a state school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities