Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,721,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I suspect that 18-24 is the prime excess alcohol consumption age group, regardless of college enrollment status. Pretty common in the blue collar/service industry sector for people that age who didn't go to college to drink pretty excessively as well.
True. But Blue collar workers are expected to perform at a professional level from the start. Blue collar workers are expected to fix cars and toilets and air conditioning units. Too much partying would get in the way of learning advanced Blue collar mechanical skills. Vocational schools are about teaching Blue Collar skills. College has never been about teaching marketable skills. Since the days of Ancient Greece, college has been about instilling a classical education in creating a well-rounded individual. This is the reason why art students are forced to take basic mandatory math and science classes and math students are required to take art classes. In recent decades, College for many has become a coveted "experience" that involves getting drunk, getting laid and getting high; all the time. Look at these honest definitions of college life obviously written by young adult college students:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=college

Strangely enough, many of my friends with good jobs who didn't go to college never were heavy binge drinkers but they tell that they feel like they missed out on the partying aspect of college by entering the workforce (and the real world) right away.

College used to be taken seriously, but grade inflation and a plethora of fluffy majors has lessened the value of a college education for some. However, it is understood that most of the college majors today have been greatly watered down to accommodate the millions of more kids that have enrolled in college in recent decades. Hundreds of thousands of kids don't belong in college because they aren't good at academics. Most of the only good jobs that are available to American college graduates today in 2011 are hard sciences and math based careers. History and Music majors usually can't get good jobs without connections. Many college kids take classes like Bowling, Walking and have classes that involve nothing but pontificating about the world with ex-Hippie professors for hours on end. When I was in college, there was a mandatory class that involved nothing but watching weird indie movies in a perpetually dark auditorium at night and reading a textbook that was literally written like a comic book. You bet a big percentage of kids went to that class obviously rip-roaring drunk. Only a minority of college students are enrolled in majors that require serious math and science. An even larger percentage of students in "hard majors" have no aptitude for that field of work and may not find out until they have spent tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars pursuing a career in which they cannot perform. For most college majors, no one actually fails out anymore if they perform poorly. Many college kids know that they can get wasted every night and slap something together for their final project over a few hours and still get a passing grade. The argument many people on here are stating is that the American education system has become nothing but a big business not dedicated to teaching kids, but has become a four to six year booze filled vacation. The problem with college alcoholism is much worse today because students, on average, spend much less time studying than they did in previous decades before the quality of American higher education had eroded:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...ry-much/21485/

According to a 2009 study, many college students spend more time drinking weekly than studying:

http://www.outsidetheclassroom.com/n...s/09Naspa.aspx

Last edited by goldenchild08; 06-14-2011 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

42,018 posts, read 75,442,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Blue collar workers are expected to perform at a professional level from the start. Blue collar workers are expected to fix cars and toilets and air conditioning units. Too much partying would get in the way of learning advanced Blue collar mechanical skills.
It also would result in their being kicked out of their apprenticeship, just like my showing up for work drunk would result in my losing my job. Once college kids get out of school and get jobs, they find out very quickly that the partying life and the workaday life do not mix.

I'm surprised you can't see that. Or maybe I'm not, since you seem to think the Urban Dictionary is the last word on definition.

What are you so ticked off about?

Quote:
Since the days of Ancient Greece, college has been about instilling a classical education in creating a well-rounded individual. This is the reason why art students are forced to take basic mandatory math and science classes and math students are required to take art classes.
And this is a bad thing ... how? You can't learn two things -- courses directly related to your career choice, and courses to make you a well-educated individual -- at once?

Quote:
Most of the only good jobs that are available to American college graduates today in 2011 are hard sciences and math based careers.
Yeah. Nevermind those with social work, education, business, journalism, marketing, criminal justice ... Folks with these majors can't get "good" jobs? Of course they can, and anyone who says they can't is either naive or stunted.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,730,123 times
Quote:
I graduated college a year and a half ago. I went to a "nerd school" much more known for its academics than partying. Yet still, there was a bar located on campus at my school above the cafeteria that was packed with drunken students five days a week! I couldn't imagine what it would be like to attend a real party school if that is how it was at a school that was called an "Honors University". In 2011, it seems like the partying aspect of the college experience has become the main selling point for millions of 18-24 year olds nationwide. Propaganda-esque pop songs celebrating this aspect of American higher education like Asher Roth's smash hit song "I Love College" illustrate this point (youtube the song, he isn't rapping about Calculus). It doesn't help that popular TV shows like Jersey Shore glamorize drunkeness to a naive generation of people in their late teens and early twenties who don't know the serious consequences of messing around with alcohol.

According to a recent study, more than one out of three college students meets the criteria of having an alcohol problem . It also has been estimated that only 10% of all college students fully apply themselves in academics. It is also estimated that 40-50% of all American college students are completely disengaged from the education process in college. Is the American higher education system just churning out heavily indebted unemployable alcoholics?

More Than One in Three College Students Can be Diagnosed with Alcohol Disorders

The Five-Year Party
You could have written this in almost any decade.

The problem is not alcohol use. The problem is that it has become acceptable to excuse people for stupid behavior resulting from ANYTHING. We now excuse people from lewd behavior because we have invented sex addiction, so that people can be politely excused from normalcy, and subsequently, treated (at huge expense, covered by health insurance).

The problem that we have today isn't related to alcohol. It's related to primary and secondary schools producing a bumper crop of inattentive, irresponsible, undisciplined, disorder-laden "students", who have never been asked to pay attention to anything longer than a txt msg. The problem is colleges that accept these people. The problem is parents who excuse kids from the responsibility of poor decision making, and fail to promote achievement. The problem is universities that continue to lower the bar, so that they can keep pumping out graduates.

Blaming alcohol is, IMO, merely a distraction from the real issue--the poor quality of the students themselves.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,982,654 times
This thread is silly IMO. Alcoholism reflects an individual, not an entire student body.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:53 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,716,177 times
Quote:
I graduated college a year and a half ago. I went to a "nerd school" much more known for its academics than partying. Yet still, there was a bar located on campus at my school above the cafeteria that was packed with drunken students five days a week! I couldn't imagine what it would be like to attend a real party school if that is how it was at a school that was called an "Honors University". In 2011, it seems like the partying aspect of the college experience has become the main selling point for millions of 18-24 year olds nationwide. Propaganda-esque pop songs celebrating this aspect of American higher education like Asher Roth's smash hit song "I Love College" illustrate this point (youtube the song, he isn't rapping about Calculus). It doesn't help that popular TV shows like Jersey Shore glamorize drunkeness to a naive generation of people in their late teens and early twenties who don't know the serious consequences of messing around with alcohol.

According to a recent study, more than one out of three college students meets the criteria of having an alcohol problem . It also has been estimated that only 10% of all college students fully apply themselves in academics. It is also estimated that 40-50% of all American college students are completely disengaged from the education process in college. Is the American higher education system just churning out heavily indebted unemployable alcoholics?

The Five-Year Party
Drinking and college (and youth in general) share a relationship that predates Asher Roth and Jersey Shore. Animal House wasn't about calculus either.

Look up some old newspaper articles from 50 years ago and you'll see the same kind of "back in my day" fist shaking as you do now.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,356,525 times
Quote:

The Five-Year Party
I am probably amongst that statistic. lol. I never wanted to go to college. I hate school in fact. I make pretty good grades (over 3.0 gpa) but I just hate school. Its extremely hard work that you don't get paid for (you actually have to pay for it) and all the reward you get is a letter on a piece of paper. It just so happens though that when I realized college wasn't for me and I dropped out the economy took a dump. I couldn't find work so I bit my lip and went back to college for another year. My hatred of school only grew so I dropped out again. Once again, I ended up umemployed, so I just went back to school the next semester. Now, six years into this slavery, I am actually only a part time semester away from finishing my degree.

As for the drinking thing. Dude, college is full of a bunch of sexually hyper young adults. Do you really expect alcohol and drugs to not be a part of that equation? lol.

Don't be upset that 40-50% of people in college aren't "engaged" in the education process. Those people (including myself) don't want to be in school, but we simply have nothing else to do with our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities