Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,563 times

Advertisements

I just saw another post on the forum that online schools like University of Phoenix are a waste of time because employers consider them a joke.

A little background. I am three years into my accounting degree at NAU (which is like U. of Phoenix). It has been a VERY expensive degree to get, but I thought was justifiable because I would be able to get a good job afterwards. I already work for a large company, and I was hoping to use the degree to move into the financial area of the company (I have worked in another department for ten years).

Have I really wasted my time? Am I not going to be hirable in this field?

I am really freaked out, and upset right now that all the work/money/time may have been wasted.

Any advice is MUCH APPRECIATED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,175,027 times
What is NAU?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

NAU is National American University. It's an online college similar to University of Phoenix.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,720,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineflower99 View Post
I just saw another post on the forum that online schools like University of Phoenix are a waste of time because employers consider them a joke.

A little background. I am three years into my accounting degree at NAU (which is like U. of Phoenix). It has been a VERY expensive degree to get, but I thought was justifiable because I would be able to get a good job afterwards. I already work for a large company, and I was hoping to use the degree to move into the financial area of the company (I have worked in another department for ten years).

Have I really wasted my time? Am I not going to be hirable in this field?

I am really freaked out, and upset right now that all the work/money/time may have been wasted.

Any advice is MUCH APPRECIATED!
You're already 3 years into it. Don't quit, just finish it.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 PM

217 posts, read 641,508 times
Agree with shiphead. At this point, you may as well complete.
A question - does the company you work for PAY for this degree? If they are willing to pay for it, then that means they will take your degree seriously.
The company I work for will not pay for an "online" degree - they do have benefits that will pay for work-related college, but you have to physically attend.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 PM

My company is paying tuition reimbursement. They only pay a percentage, roughly 25%, and do not mind if it is an online degree.

I agree with you, that would indicate that they would take the degree seriously, but it concerns me that your company won't pay for an online degree. If something happens at my company (even great companies are going under these days) I want to be hirable elsewhere.

Should I look into transferring to my local university? This would be difficult time-wise (I go online because I have a family and a full time job) and I might lose credits in the transfer.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,175,027 times
Well if your job doesn't mind you're good. Especially since they are paying a portion and you're more or less done.

Also, chances are your credits wouldn't transfer anyway. Like, none of them.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,959,579 times
don't worry so much. have you LEARNED a lot? if you have improved and are now a better employee and more knowledgeable about your field, that will show and you will be fine. especially since you are staying in the same company - that is worth a lot. don't worry and congrats on your hard work so far.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM

22,697 posts, read 47,906,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post

Also, chances are your credits wouldn't transfer anyway. Like, none of them.
Credits not transferring is probably the case, so you might as well finish there.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM

285 posts, read 870,743 times
I think online learning is great. It is becoming so commonplace that even people who dislike it will have to accept it. As more and more hiring managers have degrees that were earned via distance learning, things change.

I earned one degree online, one on campus, and one mostly on campus with online classes toward the end. However, the schools I went to were traditional brick-and-mortar colleges and so I don't think I felt the stigma that is often attached to online learning. I was reimbursed for online classes for the first degree (which was all online toward the end) and since the school was local, no one ever asked me if I attended in person.

If you had asked me this question before you started an online program, I would have advised you to find a local college that had an online program. Accounting is not uncommon and there are many of options for you. I think that every school has positives and negatives, but some schools have more of a stigma attached in certain industries.

Since you have so much time into this degree, I will advise you differently: stick with it. You have so much time in and I don't think it makes sense to spend more money and time because your employer might not accept it. We borrow too much money to please one employer. By the time you find another school and start again, you might be at a totally different job where the hiring manager doesn't care if you earned your degree on planet Mars (LOL) as long as you have the knowledge and training.

Seriously, don't give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities