Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 04:06 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,043,187 times

Advertisements

So, I was doing some research & discovered that the GRE will be revised beginning & will launch officially August 1, 2011. The test is being completely revamped. It will be longer and more difficult. The motivation for the test change is because admissions officials have long deemed the GRE to be too simple. So they are making the questions more difficult. There will be some questions that you fill in the blank (no multiple choice for these questions), others will have multiple responses that work ... and you must choose all of the ones that work. The original GRE is currently scored at 1600 but the "revised" one will be scored at 170. The good news is that all test takers will be in the same boat. As they will all be taking the same exam.

Thoughts?

Ugh, I hate tests & I'm upset that they are making it difficult I knew I should've taken the GRE a year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,919,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
So, I was doing some research & discovered that the GRE will be revised beginning & will launch officially August 1, 2011. The test is being completely revamped. It will be longer and more difficult. The motivation for the test change is because admissions officials have long deemed the GRE to be too simple. So they are making the questions more difficult. There will be some questions that you fill in the blank (no multiple choice for these questions), others will have multiple responses that work ... and you must choose all of the ones that work. The original GRE is currently scored at 1600 but the "revised" one will be scored at 170. The good news is that all test takers will be in the same boat. As they will all be taking the same exam.

Thoughts?

Ugh, I hate tests & I'm upset that they are making it difficult I knew I should've taken the GRE a year ago.
If it is still comprised of math, logic, and english, my advice is to blow off studying the english and really study the logic. If you aren't a math type then you will probably have to study that too. The logic is tricky and you have to practice modeling the questions. Either you know the english or you don't and studying for hours isn't going to significantly improve your score. But not practicing for the logic will kill your score.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,834,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If it is still comprised of math, logic, and english, my advice is to blow off studying the english and really study the logic. If you aren't a math type then you will probably have to study that too. The logic is tricky and you have to practice modeling the questions. Either you know the english or you don't and studying for hours isn't going to significantly improve your score. But not practicing for the logic will kill your score.
I think that the logic section got replaced about 5 or 10 years ago for a writing section.

And the test as it was did not accurately predict grad level performance.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM

550 posts, read 1,358,247 times
Well there goes my motivation to take the GRE for grad school lol. I've been putting grad school off for two years now. I can get into my alma mater easily but now I'll have to actually try to get into a decent grad program.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,224,182 times
Are you guys missing that if they make it harder, you will study harder and be better prepared for higher education? I think it's good that they're distinguishing between those who have it and those who don't

Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post

Thoughts?

It seems easier actually.

GRE Revised General Test: What You Need to Know

Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are you guys missing that if they make it harder, you will study harder and be better prepared for higher education? I think it's good that they're distinguishing between those who have it and those who don't
The general GRE test is as terrible an indicator for success in grad school as the SAT and ACT are for college. If you want to get in a top grad program you're much better off doing research (especially if you can do so with a highly regarded professor in the field your interested in), or having been employed in the field than you would be spending your time studying for the GRE.

Letters of rec, research experience, and GPA mean more than the GRE in a lot of the top programs in any department.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:25 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,110,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
From appearance, it does look easier. I took the soon to be old test in September 2010, and it was a pain. The random order of the questions and lack of selecting questions sucked. Now you can work on the easy questions, come back to the intermiadate questions, and if there is time, which there should be, do the difficult questions.

Also, the verbal portion was confusing in the old one. There were two, sometimes three, logical choices. I am thinking about taking the new GRE because my score on the old test, while not bad, they were not great (mid 400s verbal [just above the 50th percentile), mid 600s quantitative [near 60 percentile]). What made it worse is that at least 1/2 the stuff I studied was not covered on the test, especially in the verbal portion.

I wish they would offer paper based tests. I don't like being forced to test on a computer.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,292,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
From appearance, it does look easier. I took the soon to be old test in September 2010, and it was a pain. The random order of the questions and lack of selecting questions sucked. Now you can work on the easy questions, come back to the intermiadate questions, and if there is time, which there should be, do the difficult questions.

Also, the verbal portion was confusing in the old one. There were two, sometimes three, logical choices. I am thinking about taking the new GRE because my score on the old test, while not bad, they were not great (mid 400s verbal [just above the 50th percentile), mid 600s quantitative [near 60 percentile]). What made it worse is that at least 1/2 the stuff I studied was not covered on the test, especially in the verbal portion.

I wish they would offer paper based tests. I don't like being forced to test on a computer.
I agree. ETS does offer the paper based test on a limited basis but sessions fill up months in advance. My mind works better on paper based tests because I can flip back and forth between questions. Many times the questions are about semantics which, requires the test taker to approach from the test writer's perspective and not his own. It's like using "LOL" online. You don't know whether the author is really laughing out loud or just smiling. Paper based test helps me to get to know the author--I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities