Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 06:18 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,252,369 times

Advertisements

With the loan costs, the economy the way it is, and the difficulty of finding jobs, how are schools still able to make the admission process exciting? how are they still able to attract students?

Are teens still shouting out "I GOT INTO CORNELL!!" after opening up the admission letters? or are they like "cool, ok now the work begins!"

Are they excited because the get to follow their friends and move to a beautiful campus? is it the sororities? frats? sports teams?

Why arent the younger generation looking to alternatives after graduating high school? do colleges have a monopoly on the American Dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Oh course they do. They are 18 they are not really aware of all of the loans and whatnot.

Besides if a kid gets into the IL their tuition is based on the parents ability to pay. I had 4 students go to the IL last year and 2 of them went for free.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh course they do. They are 18 they are not really aware of all of the loans and whatnot.

Besides if a kid gets into the IL their tuition is based on the parents ability to pay. I had 4 students go to the IL last year and 2 of them went for free.

Thats true, but college is a pre-req for grad school these days. So they likely will have to deal with loans later.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Thats true, but college is a pre-req for grad school these days. So they likely will have to deal with loans later.
What a nonsensical argument. Grad school and loans are not synonymous. I went to grad school mostly on scholarship and paid the balance (about 15%) in cash. I didn't acquire any loans.

And of course kids these days are thrilled when they get into their top choice schools. They still have optimism no matter how downtrodden and pessimistic their parents (or more specifically, you) might be. Not all of them are going into debt for their education, either.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Yayaya! They show up to school in their college tee/sweat shirts too so everyone else knows where they are going! It's fun to see

Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
What a nonsensical argument. Grad school and loans are not synonymous. I went to grad school mostly on scholarship and paid the balance (about 15%) in cash. I didn't acquire any loans.

Re-read what I posted.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

And of course kids these days are thrilled when they get into their top choice schools. They still have optimism no matter how downtrodden and pessimistic their parents (or more specifically, you) might be. Not all of them are going into debt for their education, either.
Good for you. In general, professional programs, e.g. medical school, physical therapy school, law school and the like do not have a ton of scholarship money available.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Of course they do and if you research this, Ivy Leagues are the CHEAPEST option out there right now for 99% of the country.

Student loan dept to starting income ratios is actually LOWER then when I was in school, sure, the number is bigger but so are the average starting salaries. What HAS changed is that these kids come out of college, what their "dream apartment our house" right out of the gate, don't live with roommates for a few years to pay off their loans, etc. and then blame their lack of ability to buy a home on their student loan debts.

Rent a cheep apartment, get a couple roommates, save your pennies, pay off your loans. If most people did that they would have their loans paid off in under 5 years like we did way back when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities