Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I can see how it seems like that.

I try to push that self-improvement can have it's payoff in terms of income. Whether it be a solid education, trade school or taking opportunity to break the comfort zone at work.... it can all lead to you having more control over your life. I don't try to push that it's easy. I know it's hard, but hard work pays off. Otherwise, you let external factors play too large of a role in your own life. I went through some struggles before realizing this.
Or not... with that high cost of living!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Or not... with that high cost of living!
Just like any region, cost of living and income are balanced out.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,705 times
You'd think so but this economy and housing market are throwing all sorts of stuff out of whack. And gentrification is killing cities.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
You'd think so but this economy and housing market are throwing all sorts of stuff out of whack. And gentrification is killing cities.
"Gentrification is killing cities." Oh dear lord. I thought it was the abandonment and disinvestment -- pretty much the opposite of gentrification -- that nearly killed them. Anyone else here old enough to remember when New York was all but written off as ungovernable? And now gentrification is the problem?

If NJBest comes off as a snob, you come off as the opposite side of the coin -- envious and resentful of those who have the means and the will to invest in a better future for themselves.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 AM

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you're on. When your rent isn't suddenly skyrocketing because someone has decided your neighborhood is the next hotspot, and you living there is the only hitch, I bet it's great.

And maybe it's not killing cities, but it's a problem for a large portion of them.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
It makes me sad to think of all the kids graduating with huge loans. Yes, part of the issue is the increasing cost of college attendance. But, there is another part of the problem that I think many have disregarded. Parents who put things like expensive homes, cars and vacations ahead of saving for their kids college educations.

My parents (neither of whom had the opportunity to attend college) made it very clear that I was expected to attend college. They expected me to do well in school and they expected to pay for my college education. When I had kids, had the same expectations of them and of myself. DH and I always made college savings a priority in our budget and were able to pay for our kids to attend college. Why is it that so many whose parents scrimped and saved to send kids to college back in the day are not willing to do so for their kids? Is this just another symptom of Americans not valuing education?

I'm part of the Baby Boom generation, (although some think that those of us at the tail end (1960-1964) really don't belong in that generation since those born at the beginning of the Baby Boom (1946) could literally be our parents) and I think many of us have failed to pass on the gift of the "free" education we received.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM

The problem is the increased cost, and at least a few years ago, the ease of getting a student loan. I mean a few years ago there was a commercial about a bank offering student loans every commercial break. Sometimes different banks back to back. It was insane.

And in a way that's still the case, only now instead of banks offering loans it's for profits using federal loans. Phoenix will let you take out enough money to buy a decent house in some places. Whether you default on that loan or drop out isn't the issue. They've got the money.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post

These kinds of threads are getting really old. I don't understand the sudden attack on higher education.
The attack is coming mostly from a bunch of people who pick worthless majors at crappy schools, skate through and don't even bother to get a 4.0 in those majors, and get mad because someone didn't show up and offer them a $100k job the day they graduate.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 AM

I wouldn't put it exactly like that because you come off as a bit of a d***, but yea. Schools aren't honest about what the job market and earning potential are for certain major from THEIR school, in THEIR area.

Which is why I think that whole, get a degree, earn a million more should be changed. Changed to, get a degree from these schools in these majors and work in these locations, get a million more. And then everyone else should stop lying and using those bogus Us department of labor statistics that say construction workers will see a rise in employment going forward, even today.

No one wants to tell a potential student that a degree in x from school y won't get you the earnings you want.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 PM

547 posts, read 939,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The attack is coming mostly from a bunch of people who pick worthless majors at crappy schools, skate through and don't even bother to get a 4.0 in those majors, and get mad because someone didn't show up and offer them a $100k job the day they graduate.
No one expects to get paid 100k right out of school unless you're working in the medical area as some sort of doctor. As the person above me said, you come off as a di**/jackass when you say that.

A decent wage one could assume after they graduate from college could be 14-15 dollars an hour, work full time, gain more skills and experience, and grow as a person within the company. Sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities