Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think it says as much about the quality of their education as it does the value of their education.
I'm not sure what sort of distinction you're trying to create, a high quality education will have value.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm not sure what sort of distinction you're trying to create, a high quality education will have value.....
The way that I look at it is an business degree from Yale is more valuable than an business degree from a lower end college such as Penn State University, even if Penn State University provides a better quality education (where the graduate is more capable).

By higher value, I mean an organization is likely to hire the graduate from Yale for a higher paying position than the graduate from a lower end college.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
The way that I look at it is an business degree from Yale is more valuable than an business degree from a lower end college such as Penn State University, even if Penn State University provides a better quality education (where the graduate is more capable).
Okay, but only a business with pathetic hiring practices would prefer artificial prestige over actual educational quality. After all, only the latter actually helps their bottom line.

Quote:
By higher value, I mean an organization is likely to hire the graduate from Yale for a higher paying position than the graduate from a lower end college.
Organizations are likely to hire the graduate from the superior program....

Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 AM

495 posts, read 684,755 times
I don't know were all these high paying jobs are coming from.If 7 out of 10 jobs created in the next 20 years are low paying service work, what will the 70% of high school grads that that go to college do?The numbers just don't add up.We all can't be high paid professionals.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
I don't know were all these high paying jobs are coming from.If 7 out of 10 jobs created in the next 20 years are low paying service work, what will the 70% of high school grads that that go to college do?The numbers just don't add up.We all can't be high paid professionals.
People do retire. Older workers who can't keep up have been laid off.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,705 times
And just because someone goes to college, does not mean they graduate.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I am coming way late... but schools are not all the "higher learning" pristine places they pretend to be. Money is an important factor.

One way I like to summit colleges, If you don't think they are worried about money at all, try and get your grades released/graduate, with a $0.15 library fine.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM

50 posts, read 197,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I am coming way late... but schools are not all the "higher learning" pristine places they pretend to be. Money is an important factor.

One way I like to summit colleges, If you don't think they are worried about money at all, try and get your grades released/graduate, with a $0.15 library fine.
I think I was able to graduate with close to $40 in library fines. Not sure what the cutoff was.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:24 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,594 times
These threads are getting ridiculous. I suspect that they are started by people who either failed out of college, couldn't get in college, or didn't try and now regret it...

The plain fact of the matter is, people with a college education...ANY degree....will earn significantly more over their lifetime than someone who doesn't have one.

This is not a guarantee that a college education will get you a great job, or a great salary. Life has no guarantees. That said, take 100 people with degrees, and 100 without...which group is going to be better off after, say, 10 years down the road?

This whole thing about colleges ripping you off, college degrees aren't worth it...complete and utter poppycock spouted by people who don't know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities