Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Take a look at the officer.com forum-and search for "is a CJ degree worthless?

BTW trying to become a police officer-you certainly do not do well with people giving advice-not a good sign-do you really believe that people here are trying to sabatoge you? Give me a break
Hey, that's how most cops are so I got the right attitude lol They always paranoid and not trusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
NYPD starting salary is 45k. Are you saying that your cops start at 80k?
Yes, and that's not even the highest in the region, S.F cops start at about 90k.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
rimmerama-Now that's def a good idea. I will ask them. Like I said though, I am studying it because I like it, not because I wanna be a cop. Bus Admin is a broad subject and covers everything, and at the end you know a little about everything, instead of knowing one thing real good, I guess that makes it flexible, but it's also its weakness. Another reason I stopped with my Bus Admin degree is that I hated accounting and math. In regards to if I get hurt or don't like it later-then I can get into corrections/parole/probation.
If you say so, but I wouldn't be so sure - putting all your eggs in one basket, and all that. Also, I'm using Business Admin. and Accounting as examples, since they are very marketable degrees, you don't necessarily need to major in those as the alternative to C.J.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
If you say so, but I wouldn't be so sure - putting all your eggs in one basket, and all that. Also, I'm using Business Admin. and Accounting as examples, since they are very marketable degrees, you don't necessarily need to major in those as the alternative to C.J.
I don't think there are any degrees out there that don't have much math involved, but are very marketable at the same time.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Depends on the person and what you do with your life post-graduation. I know someone who earned their BS in CJ at 29 and MS at 31 and now,(age 43), is a senior State Dept. Security Manager. No prior military, no prior law enforcement. Did it all on on ability.

I notice these threads on CD tend to leave out the human element in securing a position and career advancement. The focus is solely on the initial degree.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
People usually don't want to wait around 10 or 20 years to make good money. I know quite a few people without degrees who are security managers, but they put in decades of low-paying work as security officers and supervisors. They weren't former military or police officers. As was mentioned before, people can move up in the criminal justice field through security, corrections, and community supervision. They can even move up with business administration or public administration experience. These jobs usually just don't drop in your lap right out of college just because you got a criminal justice degree. It sounds like your friend advanced through experience. How low did he or she start?

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I've seen security management jobs ask for degrees in criminal justice or business administration because upper level management positions at security companies have more to do with business than security. I interviewed for a job at a security company that was listed as an account manager job, but it turned out to be an operations management job. They wanted me to be able to do human resources, accounting, and sales. I didn't have the experience or education in any of those because I studied psychology and criminal justice and my supervisory experience is in security operations, not business or human resources operations.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:58 AM

Zero experience in a security related company but top student in his graduating class. Genuine commanding personality. Solid letters of reference from the professors assisted in securing employment. Began as an internal investigator at a private firm which does Gov't contract work then started own company training investigtors. Then actual Gov't career employment. It is overseas and our Gov't does not stint their people in diplomatic positions when it comes to pay or privileges. His acquaintances in the TOO are primarily retired SF or combination of relevant military and college backgrounds. None are younger than 40. Bootstrap types is what the term used to be.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-08-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Investigations is considered to be apart of the criminal justice/security industry. The government and government contractors are more likely to hire new graduates without experience than your typical private company in the security industry. The defense contractors regularly hold recruiting events at colleges. Of course, some people get lucky. I live in a military town with a lot of defense contractors and I have yet to see an opening requiring a criminal justice degree. It's the same with claims investigator jobs at insurance companies. Bolshoi says he's seen a lot where he lives, but I have been searching everywhere for jobs in my city and the claims investigator jobs are nowhere to be found. It's not like I live in a small town. I live in the 7th largest city in the U.S. with several insurance companies employing thousands of people here. I'm not in a position to leave Texas because I'm trying to save money by attending a Texas school for a master's degree and receiving in-state tuition.

Your friend graduated from school with a BS 14 years ago. The job market is much different now. Even outside of the criminal justice industry, most of the jobs I come across require experience. I will not be studying criminal justice in graduate school. I'm studying a field that's highly in demand by the CIA, FBI, DIA, NSA, and defense contractors. If I wanted to, I would be just as capable of obtaining jobs in the criminal justice field. I can't say that an MA/MS in criminal justice would be as flexible.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 AM

610 posts, read 3,016,089 times
Here is an excellent overview of CJ degrees:

What a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice Can Do For You… And What it Can’t (http://www.tjlxwbw.com/what-a-bachelors-degree-in-criminal-justice-can-do-for-you-and-what-it-cant/ - broken link)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Investigations is considered to be apart of the criminal justice/security industry. The government and government contractors are more likely to hire new graduates without experience than your typical private company in the security industry. The defense contractors regularly hold recruiting events at colleges. Of course, some people get lucky. I live in a military town with a lot of defense contractors and I have yet to see an opening requiring a criminal justice degree. It's the same with claims investigator jobs at insurance companies. Bolshoi says he's seen a lot where he lives, but I have been searching everywhere for jobs in my city and the claims investigator jobs are nowhere to be found. It's not like I live in a small town. I live in the 7th largest city in the U.S. with several insurance companies employing thousands of people here. I'm not in a position to leave Texas because I'm trying to save money by attending a Texas school for a master's degree and receiving in-state tuition.

Your friend graduated from school with a BS 14 years ago. The job market is much different now. Even outside of the criminal justice industry, most of the jobs I come across require experience. I will not be studying criminal justice in graduate school. I'm studying a field that's highly in demand by the CIA, FBI, DIA, NSA, and defense contractors. If I wanted to, I would be just as capable of obtaining jobs in the criminal justice field. I can't say that an MA/MS in criminal justice would be as flexible.
Yes my brother did well. But there is no luck when it comes to careers. You make your own. A top person in their field has a considerable advantage compared to a medicore performer. That level of standing is earned and not by luck.

I do not know if we are disagreeing on any point of substance otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities