Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,653,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Problem is to become a cop or be in law enforcement you DO NOT need a CJ degree. So I don't know why anyone would pigeon hole themselves with a very linear field of study. I could understand if you wanted to study something like crimenology which is different and somewhat unqiue.

But the NYPD requires 60 credits in anything. If you don't become a cop you may be extremely limited in your options after graduation.

If you insist on going NYPD then I'd recommend getting your degree and volunteering your time as a cadet or Auxiliary.
I will become a cop, and I don't know why someone in at least local LE wouldn't study something related to their career, such as cj, psychology, etc. Why I picked it even when it's not required? It's the only subject that interests me enough to keep me going to classes, AND it specifically has to do with cop work, like I said. It's not that hard to get into NYPD plus I got the second language they need. I don't need to volunteer.
Regarding other options, there is a bunch you can do, at least in NYC area-parole, probation, corrections, youth counseling, victim assistance, etc.
There is no reason I can't be a cop though so I am not focusing on those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,038,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I will become a cop, and I don't know why someone in at least local LE wouldn't study something related to their career, such as cj, psychology, etc. Why I picked it even when it's not required? It's the only subject that interests me enough to keep me going to classes, AND it specifically has to do with cop work, like I said. It's not that hard to get into NYPD plus I got the second language they need. I don't need to volunteer.
Regarding other options, there is a bunch you can do, at least in NYC area-parole, probation, corrections, youth counseling, victim assistance, etc.
There is no reason I can't be a cop though so I am not focusing on those.
Um getting into the NYPD in this day and age is not a cake walk. Sure it's nothing like becoming a fed, but due to budget contraints many people have been on holding lists for years now. Many people have not been pulled off the 09' testing lists. Sometimes it is beyond the applicants control.

I understand the fact that you would prefer to study something related to your career goals, but the problem is that your career goals don't necessarily need to be determined by your field of study in this case. Majoring in something else would simply give you more options. No harm, no foul.

As far as my advice with cadet programs and the Auxiliry police...from what I've been told, it's just much easier to get in with those programs, primarily because they are already structured by the NYPD anyway. Plus I believe the time counts towards your 18 month probationary period, which is great if you plan on moving up the chain.

Volunteering, Corrections etc etc are all good ways to gain experiences, but coming out of there you still have to move up the food chain with all the other new applicants.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Far as I understand, it just takes time and the whole process could take up to 3 yrs, however if you satisfy the requirements, you should get called up eventually. Also, there is no way for me to get in those programs you mentioned anyway, since according to them you have to live in NY to be eligible. I live in NJ.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by eventually. I know people who took the test, scored high and 2 years later they haven't even begun the process. I heard due to budgetary problems, the incoming recruitment class was around 100 or so during the Summer.

Either way, a lot can happen during the time that you're waiting and you'll probably need a job in the meantime. I personally don't think CJ gives much felxibility aside from places that count all degrees as being the same.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM

It can take more than 2 yrs. I talked to many people and everyone said that if you score high enough, got clean background, good credit and legit job history, you should get called up, especially if you speak a foreign language they need. I am still in school so its all good and I can wait and hopefully by the time I am done, I'll get called up. CJ might not give much flexibility, but if you don't intend to enter the related field like police, corrections, etc where it does help then don't get that degree in the first place. By the way, I used to wanna apply to ICE HSI special agents and they list criminal justice as one of the top desired degrees.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Well as I mentioned before, I knew a few people who scored very high, got their test results and are still waiting for a call 2 years later. All I'm saying is that there are factors that are beyond the applicants control. The NYPD is not really a fall back career anymore due to the increased pay and the current situation with unemployment. You have a lot of overqualified people looking to get in there these days.

I don't understand your logic about degrees though. You can still "intend" on entering law enforcement without a CJ degree. The benefit of not majoring in it is that you can apply to other fields if you had to.

As for the feds ( I think I spoke to you about this before), I would take the idea that they "prefer" any degree over the next with a grain of salt. I say that simply due to the fact that the initial testing, interviewing and polygraph testing itself is a way to weed out applicants--not college majors. If you can get through those steps, the type of degree you have means little if anything.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:28 PM

"As for the feds ( I think I spoke to you about this before), I would take the idea that they "prefer" any degree over the next with a grain of salt. I say that simply due to the fact that the initial testing, interviewing and polygraph testing itself is a way to weed out applicants--not college majors. If you can get through those steps, the type of degree you have means little if anything."

That's another story. I just pointed that one of the agencies listed it, which means it's not worthless. For overall you might be right, you could fall back on your non cj degree if you don't wanna do law enforcement, but in my case I already tried a lot of things, and I know this is what I'm gonna do so might as well study something that interests me and relates to the future job. If you are one of those unsure people that might get out of law enforcement later, another degree is the way, but if you're like me then you should get a relevant degree, as it applies better. You can't argue that. I will be better prepared for cop work than someone with a math, English, accounting or whatever other degree period It's like, I am studying the background and the basics now and once I start the job, it all applies to reality.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Yeah if it interests you enough I'd go with it. Usually when you study something that you want to actually study you tend to do well in it, which essentially could mean a high GPA. In IMO a high GPA in any subject will provide you with more options.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yeah if it interests you enough I'd go with it. Usually when you study something that you want to actually study you tend to do well in it, which essentially could mean a high GPA. In IMO a high GPA in any subject will provide you with more options.
Do many jobs check college transcripts?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,511,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
Do many jobs check college transcripts?
all federal jobs that require a degree do. I think most businesses just check that you have the degrees you claim on the app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities