Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM

52 posts, read 74,022 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I guess I'm here for advice again.

As the title states, I no longer wish to attend college. I'm 20, and I've attended community college for...I don't know how many classes/semesters/whatever. I think two semesters, and I dropped out after each. I've always hated school, I felt like it was a waste of time and effort ("Do all of that just to get a diploma/degree? Okay, so what exactly is the point besides the fact that society teaches you that it's required to be successful in life?"). My father has pushed me to go, and as I've said, I've gone, but it wasn't something I enjoyed. Everyone said I would like it, that it was better than high school. It was better because I didn't have to be there all day, almost every day, but I didn't "like" it.

I feel like college is kind of a joke. Everyone gets all excited and applies to tons of colleges, trying to get into "the best", "their favorite", whatever. I don't really understand why people care which one they go to, besides location, cost, and how good the education provided is supposed to be. They get in, they take a bunch of classes, pay tons of money, join clubs, sports, go to football games, make friends, drink, go to class hungover, etc. I don't care about any of that, but that's what most people my age seem to care about. The only reason I would go is because it's been pounded into my head that I need to go to be successful in life. But I don't I agree with the college system, I think it is just more like a circus and a gimmick. I feel like there are other options, and I want to explore those.

I'd like to just get out there and get on with life. College makes me feel like I'm stuck, stagnating, suspended. I want to learn something, use it, and most of all, enjoy it. The only college-requiring career I'm interested in is Psychology, but seven years of school is just not something I think I could handle. I was kicked out of high school because I hated it so much I stopped attending (I enrolled into an alternative school and got the same diploma), so another seven years just doesn't seem like something I should even attempt. I've heard that a four year degree in Psych will not get you a job in that field, which bothers me.

So far, it doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of options, but I KNOW I want to learn a skill and use it, not just go get some job and stick with it forever. I like body modification and I've considered learning to be a body piercer. After learning, I'd build a name for myself and eventually open my own shop hopefully. I know it's easier said than done, and the demand for that is...well, I don't even know. I'm sure it's incredibly low. It's not a very well respected profession, either. Along side it, for extra money, I'd like to use the one thing I am good at to make money which is writing. I would like to do freelance writing, which is just another thing that would be hard to make money doing.

I guess other than that, I don't really know what I could do or what I'd like to do. My interests are simply animals, body modification, and writing I guess. If there is some sort of career working with animals (especially exotic) that would require only a two year degree, I would do that. A four year is just pushing it for me.

This is becoming more and more unorganized. I guess I don't even know what kind of advice I'm looking for. I suppose...is my dream even plausible? How would I go about using writing as a means of making money? A two year degree related to that to help generate more income is something I would consider as well. I would be interested in other jobs in human service work that don't require as much education, or none even, though I don't know if there is such a thing.

I just seek to live a simple life. Learn a skill, get out, use it, live, be happy. Any career suggestions related to my interests that I've mentioned that require little-to-no college? Where would I start with wanting to be a freelance writer, or to use my writing to make a living?

Sorry for the unorganized-ness and length. My brain is a jumbly mess, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
It's all good.

The advice I can give, if you are not into it and think school it is pointless you will be wasting your time. Is still say at least half the stuff you deal with in college are total bull****. A lot of people do say a degree just says you can deal with bull****.

As for a career. If what you listed is what you want to do. Go for it, but go into it with as much knowledge about that field/ career etc... To help you.

IMO... School is a tool to help you in your life. Use it accordingly, maybe there is a trade school for you.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I think body modificatio is a great idea- could you expand into tattoos? What are the licensing requirements where would work (if any)?
Regarding writing, get in line, as you know. I used to work in news journalism, know a lot of writers, and know that it isn't a plan, it's a hope and you really have to work on it a lot to get anything anywhere. When you say "freelance writing," what kind of writing do you mean? A friend of mine worked in journalism for his whole life (now laid off at 62) in copyediting, reporting, translating. He decided it was time to write that Great Novel, now that he was laid off, and after a year, noticed that he has no idea of how to write a novel and doesn't want to keep trying. He's a journalist, not a novelist. Etc.
I'd look into the requirements for piercing/tattoos (aren't they often the same shop), see if I could apprentice or how you get licensed, or whatever. One's own shop could come later.
Best wishes. I think it's a great idea. I can't stand school, have always been good at it (if it doesn't involve hard sciences/math) and have only gone back to post-high-school for jobs.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The time spent partying at college accounts for the average student taking 5+ years to graduate, but most of them do eventually.

A good percentage of college students feel the same way you do, but manage to keep at it and get through with a degree. That's why employers consider it to be a plus even when no degree is required, it shows some self discipline. There are many jobs you could do without it but these days with so much competition for every opening it's going to be hard. The advantage to trade schools is that you are trained for a specific kind of work, without the general education requirements you must take to graduate from college.
If you can find a trade that interests you, the school will be a lot more fun.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:03 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
So dont go. There are a lot of options out there . Go to trade school, join the military or peace corp.
Or you can go right into the work force which many people do..They are always hiring at gas stations and contstruction sites (well not as much now)..Seriously, maybe just take time off and think about it .

Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM

574 posts, read 1,065,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unstable View Post
Hello all. I guess I'm here for advice again.

As the title states, I no longer wish to attend college. I'm 20, and I've attended community college for...I don't know how many classes/semesters/whatever. I think two semesters, and I dropped out after each. I've always hated school, I felt like it was a waste of time and effort ("Do all of that just to get a diploma/degree? Okay, so what exactly is the point besides the fact that society teaches you that it's required to be successful in life?"). My father has pushed me to go, and as I've said, I've gone, but it wasn't something I enjoyed. Everyone said I would like it, that it was better than high school. It was better because I didn't have to be there all day, almost every day, but I didn't "like" it.

I feel like college is kind of a joke. Everyone gets all excited and applies to tons of colleges, trying to get into "the best", "their favorite", whatever. I don't really understand why people care which one they go to, besides location, cost, and how good the education provided is supposed to be. They get in, they take a bunch of classes, pay tons of money, join clubs, sports, go to football games, make friends, drink, go to class hungover, etc. I don't care about any of that, but that's what most people my age seem to care about. The only reason I would go is because it's been pounded into my head that I need to go to be successful in life. But I don't I agree with the college system, I think it is just more like a circus and a gimmick. I feel like there are other options, and I want to explore those.

I'd like to just get out there and get on with life. College makes me feel like I'm stuck, stagnating, suspended. I want to learn something, use it, and most of all, enjoy it. The only college-requiring career I'm interested in is Psychology, but seven years of school is just not something I think I could handle. I was kicked out of high school because I hated it so much I stopped attending (I enrolled into an alternative school and got the same diploma), so another seven years just doesn't seem like something I should even attempt. I've heard that a four year degree in Psych will not get you a job in that field, which bothers me.

So far, it doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of options, but I KNOW I want to learn a skill and use it, not just go get some job and stick with it forever. I like body modification and I've considered learning to be a body piercer. After learning, I'd build a name for myself and eventually open my own shop hopefully. I know it's easier said than done, and the demand for that is...well, I don't even know. I'm sure it's incredibly low. It's not a very well respected profession, either. Along side it, for extra money, I'd like to use the one thing I am good at to make money which is writing. I would like to do freelance writing, which is just another thing that would be hard to make money doing.

I guess other than that, I don't really know what I could do or what I'd like to do. My interests are simply animals, body modification, and writing I guess. If there is some sort of career working with animals (especially exotic) that would require only a two year degree, I would do that. A four year is just pushing it for me.

This is becoming more and more unorganized. I guess I don't even know what kind of advice I'm looking for. I suppose...is my dream even plausible? How would I go about using writing as a means of making money? A two year degree related to that to help generate more income is something I would consider as well. I would be interested in other jobs in human service work that don't require as much education, or none even, though I don't know if there is such a thing.

I just seek to live a simple life. Learn a skill, get out, use it, live, be happy. Any career suggestions related to my interests that I've mentioned that require little-to-no college? Where would I start with wanting to be a freelance writer, or to use my writing to make a living?

Sorry for the unorganized-ness and length. My brain is a jumbly mess, as usual.
I swear I thought my own child wrote this post. Word for word, even the interest in writing and taking Psych classes. My kid feels the same way and has been asking if you can get rich and not have gone to college. His issue is the same as far as disliking school and doing the necessary work to pass. He is very lazy and immature in his thinking for an 18 year old. He has only been in Jr. College since the beginning of school in Sept and is already thinking of dropping out. He thinks he wants to own a plumbing company. How he came up with this I have no idea. He has no idea on how to handle finances or what things cost. He works part time at a local market.
Our dilemma is if he intends to drop out, things need to change around here and prepare him more for the real world and the cost of living by charging him rent, have him pay entirely for his car insurance and anything else he wants or needs. He doesn't pay for the necessities, we do including his portion of car insurance. Maybe you could give me advice about what you think is fair for a parent to do in this situation so we don't end up with a lazy, partying part time working kid sitting on the couch most of the day? We feel school is important for more than just an education. It's something that shows employers you can be taught new things and catch on fairly quickly and that you followed through with something. An 18 year old thinks they know everything and doesn't want advice from their parents because we know nothing, right? If he won't listen to us, who then? His other friends that dropped out? Sorry to take over...just such a coincidence that this should be posted today.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Thank you for your responses.

Brightdoglover - I would like to do tattoos as well but I can't draw so...yeah, that wouldn't really work out. I've been looking into the body piercing idea more. There is very little money in it (as I had already guessed) and it should be paired with another source of income (my idea was writing). In my state, it is completely unregulated but they're working on changing that. As for what I'd like to do with writing, I don't even know. I don't really have a plan there, but it's something I've always enjoyed and have been told that I'm good at (by teachers and such), so I might as well take the one single thing in life that I can do well and use it to my advantage. I just don't really know where to go with it.

Hemlock140 - I guess I didn't realize that a lot of others feel the same way I do about college. I don't know how they can stand keeping it at it. It drives me nuts, really. And you're right, there are jobs that don't require degrees but because of the few jobs that are available, I'd be fighting over the positions with people who have degrees. It's tough to get jobs without them, and that's what scares me. I am thinking about the trade school thing. I need to look into it more.

Novadhd5150 - As I mentioned, I'm going to look into the trade school thing. Military would not be for me as I'm just some weak little female and from what I've heard, you have to be quite fit and like being told what to do, which is not something that suits me, though it is an excellent suggestion. Pathetically enough, I don't know what peace corp actually is. I think I'd rather go to college then get a job that doesn't require any skills like working at a gas station...so I may just end up going. A two year degree is something I would put up with, so I'm looking into that as well.

Thanks again all.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM

284 posts, read 499,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The advice I can give, if you are not into it and think school it is pointless you will be wasting your time.
Quoted for truth.

No one says that everyone and their uncle has to go to college. If you don't want to be there, don't go. Find what you want to do (body modification? great), learn to do it, and do it! I mean, I hear you about not needing to conform to what society says you've gotta do. My needs are simple as well, and I don't want to be rich. However, I had to go to college to do what I want to do (teach English to adults). It sucked rocks until I got to the point where all I studied was English, as opposed to math, science and all the other crap they shove down our throats so we can be "well rounded" individuals. /rant

Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Bbekity - Sorry, I was typing my reply when you posted yours! I read your thread about your son actually, and I thought of how he sounded like me. I can say that I know where he's coming from. To put it plainly, it all sucks. And I'm sure he thinks that, too. I would first tell him that there aren't many people who get rich who have gone to college, nevertheless those who have not. I'd like to dream that big myself but I believe I will never be rich, no matter what I do.

I'm not sure what I should advise you to do. By junior college, does that mean community college? Maybe he'd like a four year better. I hear those offer a better experience for those seeking a lot of social activity, though then you'd have to worry about him drinking and such, but I guess that's what most of them do these days.

You could ask him about the idea for a plumbing company. Ask him where he got the idea and just details on where he'd like to go with it. I agree with you on thinking that things need to change regarding rent and stuff. I feel bad because I am currently not working, going to school, or paying rent and I live with my parents. I feel as though I am just stagnating and I need to do something - and fast.

Is it weird of me to say that I think you should charge him rent, that you should make him pay his car payment, etc? I think it is entirely reasonable. I think he should be expected to figure out a game plan and work on getting himself out of your house if he isn't getting some sort of education which requires your support. I know that is what I need to myself.

You could also let him know about some of the suggestions people have given me. Maybe he would be interested in the military, peace corp, trade school, or just a two year degree instead of four years. I think he should look at himself and really think about what interests him and what he would really like to do with his life. Really think about the possibilities and what he thinks he could do that would make him happy. That's what I did and I came up with body piercing, writing, and work with animals in some way. I hope to do all of them in some way in my life.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with just jumping into the job world with no skill, no trade, or no education. I want to have something special to offer. I understand why you think he should get an education because of that reason alone. It's important to have something to offer in this world.

I get why he wouldn't want to listen to his parents, as that's just how teenagers tend to be (haha), but we do hear you and listen perhaps more than you think. My father wants me to go for Psychology and completely disagrees with the body piercing idea, but not for good reasons. He just thinks is wrong, disgusting, etc and that just makes me want to go for it even more (I admit, I resent him).

How are your son's friends that dropped out doing? You could have your son go out and start working full time. I did that for about 5 months and I did like the job for a while but after that time period, I was ready to go and get my education again, even though I hate college. That says something. The job I had was good. Every job I've had since that one I gave up on after less than two months. It's misery. If you really want him to go to school, let him see for himself why. Make him live like how he will live without any skills or education. Make him pay rent, car payment, etc and work full time. Maybe make him buy his own food even? Just let him see how hard it is to get by with a typical job nowadays. It really isn't enough, and I know that. After a while, he may realize that doing a dead end job for years and years would really suck so it's better have a skill or degree. It worked for me.

Sorry my post is so weirdly organized...or just plainly disorganized. Hopefully I don't sound hypocritical in my suggestions. Feel free to post more about your situation. I don't see it as taking over

Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM

574 posts, read 1,065,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unstable View Post
Bbekity - Sorry, I was typing my reply when you posted yours! I read your thread about your son actually, and I thought of how he sounded like me. I can say that I know where he's coming from. To put it plainly, it all sucks. And I'm sure he thinks that, too. I would first tell him that there aren't many people who get rich who have gone to college, nevertheless those who have not. I'd like to dream that big myself but I believe I will never be rich, no matter what I do.

I'm not sure what I should advise you to do. By junior college, does that mean community college? Maybe he'd like a four year better. I hear those offer a better experience for those seeking a lot of social activity, though then you'd have to worry about him drinking and such, but I guess that's what most of them do these days.

You could ask him about the idea for a plumbing company. Ask him where he got the idea and just details on where he'd like to go with it. I agree with you on thinking that things need to change regarding rent and stuff. I feel bad because I am currently not working, going to school, or paying rent and I live with my parents. I feel as though I am just stagnating and I need to do something - and fast.

Is it weird of me to say that I think you should charge him rent, that you should make him pay his car payment, etc? I think it is entirely reasonable. I think he should be expected to figure out a game plan and work on getting himself out of your house if he isn't getting some sort of education which requires your support. I know that is what I need to myself.

You could also let him know about some of the suggestions people have given me. Maybe he would be interested in the military, peace corp, trade school, or just a two year degree instead of four years. I think he should look at himself and really think about what interests him and what he would really like to do with his life. Really think about the possibilities and what he thinks he could do that would make him happy. That's what I did and I came up with body piercing, writing, and work with animals in some way. I hope to do all of them in some way in my life.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with just jumping into the job world with no skill, no trade, or no education. I want to have something special to offer. I understand why you think he should get an education because of that reason alone. It's important to have something to offer in this world.

I get why he wouldn't want to listen to his parents, as that's just how teenagers tend to be (haha), but we do hear you and listen perhaps more than you think. My father wants me to go for Psychology and completely disagrees with the body piercing idea, but not for good reasons. He just thinks is wrong, disgusting, etc and that just makes me want to go for it even more (I admit, I resent him).

How are your son's friends that dropped out doing? You could have your son go out and start working full time. I did that for about 5 months and I did like the job for a while but after that time period, I was ready to go and get my education again, even though I hate college. That says something. The job I had was good. Every job I've had since that one I gave up on after less than two months. It's misery. If you really want him to go to school, let him see for himself why. Make him live like how he will live without any skills or education. Make him pay rent, car payment, etc and work full time. Maybe make him buy his own food even? Just let him see how hard it is to get by with a typical job nowadays. It really isn't enough, and I know that. After a while, he may realize that doing a dead end job for years and years would really suck so it's better have a skill or degree. It worked for me.

Sorry my post is so weirdly organized...or just plainly disorganized. Hopefully I don't sound hypocritical in my suggestions. Feel free to post more about your situation. I don't see it as taking over
Thank you for the advice. One of the kids that dropped out of Community College (it is the same as Jr. College) wants to be a professional DJ. He also does a variety of other things. My son does nothing except party with friends and work about 20 hours at a market. He had called in sick at least once a week since starting and says his manager is cool with it and very flexible. Ha. The only other friend not going to college just got back from staying with family in Brazil and supposedly his parents don't have the money to send him to college just yet. Isn't that what loans and grants are for? His other best friend goes to a very prestigious music school in the city and is very talented.
Getting the money from him for anything he owes us is painful. It was easy when we had joint accounts but now that he is an "adult" he has his own account. As it is right now, he always runs out of money days after getting paid and his friends enable him by loaning him money. At $9 an hour for 15 to 20 hrs a week, that isn't much. I guess if I do the deal of having him pay for rent, insurance, etc. and he doesn't pay up, out his little ass goes? His skills are writing but he says he doesn't want to ruin the fun of it by making it a job. He has no other talents except he is a great manipulator and loves to argue. Always thought if he liked school, he would be an amazing lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities