Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 06:56 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Those numbers were using $80k income for a family of 4 that own their home. I was trying to estimate for the middle class. Obviously someone with a lower income will be able to go for less.
Run that for income <$30k.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Run that for income <$30k.
Income 29,900 for family of 4.

Parent's Contribution $0
Student's Expected Summer Savings 1,030
Student's Asset Contribution 0
-----
Total Estimated Family Contribution $1,030

Total Estimated Aid $53,800

Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I teach Management classes in the Business Program at a large Community College as an Adjunct Professor as a second job in the evening.
Orthodox business management theory is predicated on false assumptions, since workers' ownership and management is more efficient than hierarchical management, as evidenced by Worker participation and productivity in labor-managed and participatory capitalist firms: A meta-analysis: "Using meta-analytic techniques, the author synthesizes the results of 43 published studies to investigate the effects on productivity of various forms of worker participation: worker participation in decision making; mandated codetermination; profit sharing; worker ownership (employee stock ownership or individual worker ownership of the firm's assets); and collective ownership of assets (workers' collective ownership of reserves over which they have no individual claim). He finds that codetermination laws are negatively associated with productivity, but profit sharing, worker ownership, and worker participation in decision making are all positively associated with productivity. All the observed correlations are stronger among labor-managed firms (firms owned and controlled by workers) than among participatory capitalist firms (firms adopting one or more participation schemes involving employees, such as ESOPs or quality circles)."

When you can't sleep, you should think about how you can challenge the inaccurate foundations of BA theory.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-30-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that a tenured quantum physics professor who spends all day and night in research in the field will know less than someone who works in the real world? An adjunct professor typically is only allowed to teach based on textbook and experience. Not on ongoing research. Which is the purpose of a tenured professor.

I was going to say that tenure doesn't really matter in something like history, however, I quickly realized that it does. We're constantly learning more about history, and there's a lot of debates over what happened in history. As a result, tenure status can play a role here as well.

There most likely are many tenured professors who don't deserve to be, however.
Not suggesting anything... What I said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname
More someone better at paying the political game!

Other than that:
It depends on the subject.

Something like History, Perhaps.

Something which changes... Those who are enshrined in the Halls of Academia with no connection to what is going on in the 'real world' will know less than a part time professor who is active in Homeland Security, Legal issues in Emergency Management etc...
From my observation (And my Parents met as College Profs) Those who do all the research... are RARELY (With notable exceptions) good teachers.

But that's just anecdotal... and not where I was going earlier, although the point WAS made earlier by another poster (Think it was this thread) that they will at best have a VERY NARROW area of knowledge, vs someone who is holding down a REAL job... (Outside academia)

Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,706 times
Quote:
Income 29,900 for family of 4.

Parent's Contribution $0
Student's Expected Summer Savings 1,030
Student's Asset Contribution 0
-----
Total Estimated Family Contribution $1,030

Total Estimated Aid $53,800
Interesting. I'm not surprised that the 09/10 data is outdated, but I'd have thought they'd update their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
But that's just anecdotal... and not where I was going earlier, although the point WAS made earlier by another poster (Think it was this thread) that they will at best have a VERY NARROW area of knowledge, vs someone who is holding down a REAL job... (Outside academia)
No, the point was that the process of completing a dissertation doesn't make a graduate student more qualified in all areas of an academic discipline. Hence, TA's are often perfectly qualified to teach lower-division courses.

That same research experience can be very relevant to upper-division courses, which is where attending an AAU-caliber research university pays off.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Interesting. I'm not surprised that the 09/10 data is outdated, but I'd have thought they'd update their website.
I don't know how they compiled the averages on that chart. The calculator actually takes into consideration liquid assets. For my estimates, I put in a liquid assets of $1000 to consider families in the worst scenarios. If a family making $30,000 with liquid assets of $500,000... surely they wouldn't get as much aid.

But I like how the school is affordable across all incomes.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I teach Management classes in the Business Program at a large Community College as an Adjunct Professor as a second job in the evening. I have also taught full time students in the day time too.

Sometimes when I can't sleep I get philosophical about the thousands of students who have come through my classes in the last 15 years. Many are nice enough and many put in some effort but in general America is in serious trouble if these people are going to someday work in responsible positions in corporate America.

What hits me is how many of the Community College students just don't care, are lazy and not so bright. Many even in their 20s and 30s are incredibly naive about academics, organization and education. They also seem incredibly naive about what awaits them in the real world if they graduate.

Most of the students who come through my Management 101 class will take a handful of classes at the Community College and then drop out and then go into a number of dead end jobs for the rest of their life.

My situation is not unique. My fellow Professors report the quality of students are at an all time low and each year the group gets worse and worse. All in an era when we are facing incredible competition from Asia.

Tell me the students are better in a four year college!
I saved a hell of a lot of money by doing my generals at a community college and transferring to a 4 year university, but anyone who thinks they are gonna go for a walk down easy street with only an Associates Degree would probably be better served (and have more fun) if they spend some time flushing $100 bills down the toilet instead.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I agree. My small private school had the professors teach. They also had the students engaged in research activities starting from the first semester.

We did have TAs grading for some of the classes, however... but they basically followed the rubric provided by the professor.
Well, and what do you think TAs at a large college do? Make up their own rubric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe where you live but here, CC are NOT the same classes. They are not even taught by full professors. Sorry, they are not even close to the same.

Here classes don't automatically transfer and none of the private schools here accept CC credits....those 2 years at a CC would be a waste of money.

Can you hop over to the MN board and post this on the "Carleton Students" thread If you add in room and board for a CC student, even living at home they cost money, your costs are probably close to the same.
I looked around on google and couldn't find anything to confirm or deny what you said about CC credits transferring in MN. However, I'd be real skeptical that "none" of the private schools accept CC credits. Most of them accept IB/AP, and CC courses are most definitely the equivalent or more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Most private schools don't accept CC credits and the more selective colleges won't even accept transfer credits from other 4 year schools.
The statement in bold is absolutely not true. I know many students who went to elite private colleges who took summer courses at the U of CO for credit.

Quote:
I guess my statement went a little too far. Tenure allows for higher quality professors than non-tenured professors. However, not all tenured professors are higher quality (although, it can very subjective).

It's in the best interest of the student to review the work and publishings of a professor before attending their classes.
At many colleges, you don't have much choice over whose section you get assigned to. At large colleges, there are simply too many people taking the courses to individulaize it to such an extent, and at small colleges, sometimes only one prof is teaching the class.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Well, fancy this! I just had to look a little harder:

Hibbing Community College - HCC - Hibbing, MN | MN Transfer Curriculum

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) have developed a common general education curriculum called the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum or MnTC. Completion of all or part of defined 40 credits, distributed among ten goal areas, at one institution enables a student to transfer lower-division general education coursework to any Minnesota public college or university

Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
I think students tend to undervalue the importance of tenure. When selecting classes (at any good school), it is always in the students best interest to choose a class taught by a tenured professor.
Meh. I have had classes with pretty awesome visiting professors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities