Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:44 PM

74 posts, read 135,284 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have driven by the local community college only a mile from my home a million times over the years but never stopped to look around. We like to go hiking around the neighborhood but for some reason we never stopped and looked around campus. Until last evening!

Whe were true busy buddies and walked into many of the class room buildings and peeked into many of the classroom full of students. In the front of the room was the Instructor/Professor doing a lecture. Sitting in the seats were some of the most bored looking people I had ever seen. This was not just one class but many classes. You could just tell that the students were bored silly but must have felt that they had to put up with it to get that piece of paper.

I don't remember being that bored when I was in college? Were you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,772,632 times
I only took a few classes at a community college in the summer, but in most of those classes, yes, I was that bored. Nothing I ever took at a CC was anything I wanted to take, just some lower level requirements that I could transfer to my university. It was easier and less expensive than taking them at my university. That said, I felt the same way taking the rest of those classes at my university too. I loved my core courses that pertained to my major. They held my interest because I wanted to be there, but stuff like English and biology, that all freshmen were required to take, those were pure torture.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
OP--I would say your observations are true for just about every college in the country.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:40 PM

72 posts, read 224,898 times
You may need to take a larger sample in order to generalize to all colleges. Community colleges are taught at a much lower level intellectually and academically because there are no admissions standards. Of course the students look bored, you need to understand the population of students who end up at community colleges. You have a mix of students who had no initiative and made no effort in high school and students who were smart enough to get into a 4-year college/university but chose to attend community college because of the cost. Either way you see people who are bored out of their mind or just don't care.
You might try observing a highly ranked 4-year college/university and see if the students are more engaged. Admissions standards have a lot to do with shaping the student body. There are many variables involved - class size, subject matter and college/university prestige would all shape what you'd see in a classroom.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,048 times
do you just post threads to get a reaction?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
Not all colleges are the same. We all hope that colleges engage their students in cutting edge research and analysis beyond the classroom. But the reality is that many colleges are just an extension of high school (textbook material). This applies to both, 2 year and 4 year institutions.

OP, are you hypothesizing or concluding by the use of inductive methods?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,841,398 times
I hope to die in excitement.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,590,036 times
I went to a top school and used to actually fall asleep in many classes. It's always been that way.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 AM

74 posts, read 135,284 times
While some of the teachers may be less than inspiring, I suspect many students don't understand that not everything is going to be as exciting as the movies or television and knowledge for the sake of learning is important. I suspect most of them if given a chance to get the degree or diploma by not even showing up they would.

I understand lecture is not all that interesting but every class needs some lecture to present complex information. You can't do role playing, group problem solving or case studies until the students are presented enough information to understand the topic.

If they are only interested in their major classes then they should have gone to a certificate or trade school that did not require andy general education or liberal arts.

Last edited by chit chatter; 09-26-2012 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 AM

10,052 posts, read 18,098,797 times
I am a little surprised that professors at community colleges would be LECTURING instead of using teaching methods that would be more likely to get students involved and engaged. BUT I also wish that students would realize that not all classes are going to be ENTERTAINING. Sometimes the material is just not that interesting, but it's important so you have to get through it anyway. (EG I teach Research Methods, which I find fascinating but which I also know is NOT fascinating to most students! I have developed a lot of exercises that we do together in class, so at least students are DOING something instead of just listening to me drone on.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities