Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,050,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMelissRoths03 View Post
Nursing is a great career choice. Don't worry about the "nursing shortage" rumors. I agree with the one of the above posters that said in this economy if you aren't geographically restricted, there are nursing jobs available to you. Nursing is projected to grow in the future. Here is some more information behind the demand and growth for nurses and nursing careers.
Whatever, Nursing is going to grow and the job is going to continue to deterioriate as nurses are going to be required to do more and more and take on more and more patients. Nursing is not a great career choice if you REALLY understand labor and capital. There are positives and negatives about a career in nursing but most of the people touting it as this holy grail of careers have either never worked as an RN or have some vested interest like community colleges and university nursing programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM

427 posts, read 1,391,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Oh yeah? And do you actually know anything about what you are talking about when it comes to nursing? I'm an RN. Graduated right before the economic bubble burst. Nursing is the next bubble to burst. I feel sorry for all these poor kids and adults going into nursing or going back to school for nursing. First off more and more hospitals which usually provide the best jobs for new grads are requiring a BSN. Many especially magnate hospitals won't even touch an ADN. This has changed only in the last few years. But yet the community colleges keep enticing and pumping out ADN nurses. Where are they all going to go? There aren't enough hospital jobs because there aren't enough hospitals being built in this country anymore. Hospitals are cutting back as Obamacare and new medicare mandate are killing their bottomline. So nurses are asking to do more with less. Nursing SUCKS! It's a great profession to get out there and make some money and have what's left of job security until you figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. But bureaucracy is killing healthcare just like every other aspect of our economy thanks to big government. The only jobs available to nurses are in crappy skilled nursing facilities or long term care. BSN RN's can go straight to work for a private company in insurance, sales, etc. But then why go into nursing if you're going to do that? You'd be better off going into business and forgetting about having to take boards and maintain a professional license. Nursing was the biggest mistake of my life and I'm glad I went into it LOL. I'm a very capable confident intelligent person and Im getting the hell out as soon as I can. Nurses even in this day and age are crapped on and shown zero respect. And they are THE BACKBONE of the US HEALTHCARE SYSTEM! WITHOUT US IT WOULD IMPLODE OVERNIGHT! Keep treating nurses the way our society does and when you all are older you'll be getting care from a third world educated African or a Fillipino on a green card/work Visa.

The US economy is being destroyed and assaulted from all fronts and all we as Americans can do is sit back and try to compete and out do each other more and more for the scraps. Sad really. So many young people going into debt while our country is sold off piece meal to foreigners and the rich............thanks to our politicians and WallStreet! But hey if you're lucky that 401k might allow you to retire at 85 years old and there might be a few hundred bucks for you in medicare and SS. Who knows America might even have roads to drive on, and bridges to cross that actually are safe and well taken care of.
There is some difference depending on where you live, I am in school now for respiratory therapy, and was at orientation for clinical, along with second year nursing students, and the hospital HR came in to encourage the students to apply, not only do they hire new grads, they actively go after them, they have 12 positions they are hiring for this summer, and they are a great hospital that pays really well. And it is not a BSN, degree, and they are not the only hospital in my area that is hiring either. The majority of the nursing students that graduate from my schools program have jobs before they graduate.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:56 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,752,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandavision View Post
I am currently going to Austin Community College and have decided I want to be a nurse. The only classes I have under my belt at this time are: Eng 1, Math, 2 Psychology classes, Speech, Philosophy, and Spanish 1. At ACC, you have to take an entrance test to get into the Human Anatomy class that I need in order to get started. I would have to take this next semester off to study for the entrance exam. Plus, I missed the deadline to take the test to get into the class for next semester. Should I go to a different college to get this class or find a school that will let me take Anatomy and Physiology together so I can get those both out of the way in one semester and get on with my degree? Any advice would help at this point. Thank you all ahead of time for you input.

There will ALWAYS be a need for nurses! The baby boomer population is aging.

I would not waste anymore time at this community college. The ADN (associate degree in nursing) is thought of by many as the fastest rout to an RN. In actuality, it is not.

Because the Community College must serve everyone in their county, there is a HUGE demand for seats in the nursing curriculum. They weed people out this way.
Some call it "Pre-Nursing" others do what your school is doing.

I would transfer to a four year college, ASAP. Private or public. Why spend four years of college (and the associated money - to get a two year degree? It does not make sense.

Forget their tests. All of the classes you have taken are transferable.
The only thing I might question is Spanish I - you MAY need to take the other half at that CC or lose it. You may not.

Do you want to stay in TX? Are you aware that there are grants and loans for nursing? Some are forgivable by working in an undeserved populations, and you never need to repay them!

What is your GPA? If it is a 2.5 or better, I know of several colleges and Universities that will take you as a transfer student, but they are not in TX.

If it is only a 2.O , know of a few that will also take you.

If it is higher,(3.00 or better) I know of many that will not only take you, but will give you money.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,142,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There will ALWAYS be a need for nurses! The baby boomer population is aging.

I would not waste anymore time at this community college. The ADN (associate degree in nursing) is thought of by many as the fastest rout to an RN. In actuality, it is not.

Because the Community College must serve everyone in their county, there is a HUGE demand for seats in the nursing curriculum. They weed people out this way.
Some call it "Pre-Nursing" others do what your school is doing.

I would transfer to a four year college, ASAP. Private or public. Why spend four years of college (and the associated money - to get a two year degree? It does not make sense.

Forget their tests. All of the classes you have taken are transferable.
The only thing I might question is Spanish I - you MAY need to take the other half at that CC or lose it. You may not.

Do you want to stay in TX? Are you aware that there are grants and loans for nursing? Some are forgivable by working in an undeserved populations, and you never need to repay them!

What is your GPA? If it is a 2.5 or better, I know of several colleges and Universities that will take you as a transfer student, but they are not in TX.

If it is only a 2.O , know of a few that will also take you.

If it is higher,(3.00 or better) I know of many that will not only take you, but will give you money.
Please stop spreading lies. I am a nursing student, and most of what you say is false.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM

24,165 posts, read 32,752,274 times
I am spreading information.

Community colleges offer the ADN and it almost ALWAYS takes 3 or 4 years.

NOT WORTH IT, IMO

You are a nursing student? Well I am an RN (in another state) and I have taught Human Growth and Development at a CC. in my former state. I worked for 15 years.

My BA and MA are not in Nursing. I attended a private hospital affiliated school between my first three years of college, and the completion of my BA and MA.

The Community College seems inexpensive and fast but due to volume, it is not.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,374,121 times
Actually, Austin Community College is an excellent choice for a student hopeful of an AAS in Nursing, but since the OP hasn't been back, it is doubtful that (s)he will be following anyone's advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities