Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM

75 posts, read 121,829 times

Advertisements

This is my first post, although I've lurked off and on for a few years. I am a 41-year-old married mother of two (oldest on his own; youngest is 13yo) and I have just enrolled in my local community college with the intention of getting a degree in exercise physiology and sports nutrition. Although I enjoy many aspects of my job, it doesn't pay well at all and I've finally decided I'm tired of our lifestyle living on the edge of utter destitution as a norm. It kills me that I can't provide for my kids in the way I'd like to, nor keep up with even the basic bills and necessities. I'm okay with not having a lot, but it'd be nice to not have to stress out over deciding whether to fix the car, buy groceries or pay the rent on a regular basis. I have a pretty good life aside from that: wonderful family, stable job with great coworkers, and I'm healthy and relatively happy. Just not fulfilled.

Although I am intelligent and a hard worker, I was very immature as a teen and didn't do as well in school as I could have and dropped out of community college when I had my son because lacked the discipline and emotional maturity to do what I needed to do. I feel like I have much more motivation these days to succeed in school and I'm very eager to learn. I have considered my interests and aptitudes and chosen a major based on that. I have enrolled in community college and begun researching degree programs that fit my goals. I'm nervous, but excited.

Since our income is so very limited, I'm concerned with achieving a degree as efficiently as possible. My credit rating is abysmal (though no consumer debt) and I'd prefer to finish the degree with as little debt as possible, although I know at some point that may become necessary.

I've looked at local colleges and none have programs that have the scope of education I'm looking at, so I've branched out to state schools around the country. My family is willing, although somewhat reluctant, to relocate to facilitate my education. I'm also unhappy with the cost of the tuition at my cc; it seems unnecessarily significantly higher than elsewhere around the country. I'm not even certain how much of my education at this community college will transfer to a university degree program elsewhere. There seems to be more prerequisites to get accepted into the programs on my list than what this community college offers.

I am considering if I should consider relocating now and establishing residency, so that I may attend a university of my choice at residential rates once I transfer. Is that feasible or advisable? What are my options?

FWIW, I'm in the South looking to move to the Pacific Northwest, either Washington, Oregon or northern California. Although, we like it here, we are transplants and have no ties to this place; I grew up in SoCal and my husband is from southern Ohio. The colleges that have programs that look interesting are Washington State University, Cal State East Bay and Oregon State University.

My husband and I would like to live in an environment where we can be healthy and live more simply. We like to bike, run and recreate outdoors. We abhor car-centric, expensive consumer driven communities. We have one vehicle and would prefer as much pedestrian and cycle commuting as possible. We are trying to live a greener, healthier, more conscious lifestyle and would like to be in a community that makes this easier.

Any advice and insight is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 09:31 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
My only advice is to not get yourself nose-deep in hock to pay for your degree. I finished my BA at age 30 (3 years ago) and am still working at the job I was doing while at school. I suffered and scrimped, but I managed to get through without taking out any student loans... And it's a good thing too, because my life didn't magically change after graduation and money is just as tight.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon_Girl View Post
This is my first post, although I've lurked off and on for a few years. I am a 41-year-old married mother of two (oldest on his own; youngest is 13yo) and I have just enrolled in my local community college with the intention of getting a degree in exercise physiology and sports nutrition. Although I enjoy many aspects of my job, it doesn't pay well at all and I've finally decided I'm tired of our lifestyle living on the edge of utter destitution as a norm. It kills me that I can't provide for my kids in the way I'd like to, nor keep up with even the basic bills and necessities. I'm okay with not having a lot, but it'd be nice to not have to stress out over deciding whether to fix the car, buy groceries or pay the rent on a regular basis. I have a pretty good life aside from that: wonderful family, stable job with great coworkers, and I'm healthy and relatively happy. Just not fulfilled.

Although I am intelligent and a hard worker, I was very immature as a teen and didn't do as well in school as I could have and dropped out of community college when I had my son because lacked the discipline and emotional maturity to do what I needed to do. I feel like I have much more motivation these days to succeed in school and I'm very eager to learn. I have considered my interests and aptitudes and chosen a major based on that. I have enrolled in community college and begun researching degree programs that fit my goals. I'm nervous, but excited.

Since our income is so very limited, I'm concerned with achieving a degree as efficiently as possible. My credit rating is abysmal (though no consumer debt) and I'd prefer to finish the degree with as little debt as possible, although I know at some point that may become necessary.

I've looked at local colleges and none have programs that have the scope of education I'm looking at, so I've branched out to state schools around the country. My family is willing, although somewhat reluctant, to relocate to facilitate my education. I'm also unhappy with the cost of the tuition at my cc; it seems unnecessarily significantly higher than elsewhere around the country. I'm not even certain how much of my education at this community college will transfer to a university degree program elsewhere. There seems to be more prerequisites to get accepted into the programs on my list than what this community college offers.

I am considering if I should consider relocating now and establishing residency, so that I may attend a university of my choice at residential rates once I transfer. Is that feasible or advisable? What are my options?

FWIW, I'm in the South looking to move to the Pacific Northwest, either Washington, Oregon or northern California. Although, we like it here, we are transplants and have no ties to this place; I grew up in SoCal and my husband is from southern Ohio. The colleges that have programs that look interesting are Washington State University, Cal State East Bay and Oregon State University.

My husband and I would like to live in an environment where we can be healthy and live more simply. We like to bike, run and recreate outdoors. We abhor car-centric, expensive consumer driven communities. We have one vehicle and would prefer as much pedestrian and cycle commuting as possible. We are trying to live a greener, healthier, more conscious lifestyle and would like to be in a community that makes this easier.

First, let me say that my youth was similar to yours, started a family early, did school because I had too, never excelled. when I was divorced w/ 5 children in 89 I took 2 classes. I transferred across state and went fulltime, working my schedule around my youngest child. Once he started school full time, so did I. I have to say, when you go to college as an adult your whole perspective has improved. You will do very well, I can sense you are intelligent, and that you have the drive needed. It won't be easy, financially as a student you may still be struggling but when there is a light at the end of the tunnel, it makes it easier to bare. I would strongly suggest that you check into Oregon. The lifestyle you describe sounds like a good fir. My Son moved there 2 years ago from Denver. He loves it. He says that the city is beautiful, lots of parks. People are into recycling and environmental issues. The have lots of folks who do not own vehicle, so many that there is a program where you can rent cars just for a shopping trip. I certainly think you should go visit an area prior to moving, but I do believe the from the family interests you've described, Oregon should be your firt consideration. Good luck, oh and btw I graduated w/ honors, so it can be done even w/ being a busy mom.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My only advice is to not get yourself nose-deep in hock to pay for your degree. I finished my BA at age 30 (3 years ago) and am still working at the job I was doing while at school. I suffered and scrimped, but I managed to get through without taking out any student loans... And it's a good thing too, because my life didn't magically change after graduation and money is just as tight.
Thanks for the advice. And congratulations on getting your degree without debt.

I can't afford to borrow for school and will only do so to the extent that I can complete my degree after investing much time and effort. My plan is to stay in community college as long as possible and continue working while going to school.

This semester my Pell Grant and state tuition assistance covered everything but books and I'll find used books on the internet to save money. I am hoping that with very good grades, I'll become eligible for other grants and scholarships as I move to the more expensive university setting to complete my degree.

Reducing cost is also why I'm considering relocating sooner to the Pacific Northwest. All of the states I'm considering have schools I'm interested in and they also have a reciprocal agreements as to residency, so if I move to Oregon and decide to attend WSU, I'll still pay resident tuition.

Additionally, it's much easier to tell if the classes I take in community college there will transfer to university. Here, I'm not so sure, so I may end up paying for classes (or using time and grant money) for classes that won't count toward my degree, necessitating more time and money down the line. Any idea how much this situation occurs?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 AM

JanND, your post is so inspiring for me! You had it much harder than I do. My husband is very supportive of this and I only have one child to support while I finally pursue my dreams. The hardest part is going to be financial. My husband's background is military, no college degree, and used to be that was enough to get a job that could support us. But in this economy and the fact that most of his work has been offshored, he can't compete with college grads. So, he and I are both working part-time retail and that just doesn't pay the bills. With no future prospects, it became readily apparent it was time to invest in a better future. I just don't want to live on welfare ever or indefinitely. So, FWIW, we have two incomes albeit very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would strongly suggest that you check into Oregon. The lifestyle you describe sounds like a good fir. My Son moved there 2 years ago from Denver. He loves it. He says that the city is beautiful, lots of parks. People are into recycling and environmental issues. The have lots of folks who do not own vehicle, so many that there is a program where you can rent cars just for a shopping trip. I certainly think you should go visit an area prior to moving, but I do believe the from the family interests you've described, Oregon should be your firt consideration. Good luck, oh and btw I graduated w/ honors, so it can be done even w/ being a busy mom.
Yeah, I'm liking Oregon a lot. Also, it looks like some of the smaller towns are more affordable than Portland. I may actually be able to transfer with my current employer. I'm just excited to see bike lanes!

BTW, I'm impressed with your success despite your challenges. You should be so proud of yourself. What an example to set for your children. Well done!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Look at more than just tuition but the stats on how many students who receive scholarships and need-based aid. US News and World Report is a very good source. For example, the average need-based scholarship at Oregon State is less than $3500 and the tuition is $7500/2200 (in-state/out-of-state). By contrast, California State/East Bay's average need-based scholarship is over $9,000 and the tuition is only $4800/16000. Washington State's average scholarship is similar to California State's but the tuition is almost double. Looking at just this one criteria, your education would cost the least at California State University, assuming your financial aid package was average.

But of course there are many things to consider. Hayward California has a much higher cost of living than either Corvallis or Pullman so in the end it may not be cheaper to go to school there. And Hayward is a car-centric suburb of the bay area which may not be the lifestyle you are looking for (yes there is public transit but it's not easy to live in the east bay without a car).

I would suggest you not try to postpone enrollment just to get in-state tuition, unless all of the schools outright refuse to offer any kind of financial aid. Postponement just means delaying the start of a higher-paying career and more time working at low-paying jobs.

I applaud your goal of completing your degree debt-free but do keep in mind that school debt does not have the same effect as consumer debt on your credit rating. In fact, it can help your credit rating. It's a paradox but student loan debt is considered one of those 'good debt' things to have on your credit report and can offset negative things on your credit score.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM

kodaka, that's a very helpful analysis. WSU, my first choice, looks promising from a financial pov. The difference between estimated assistance (~$13K) and total cost ($22K) is less than the estimate for room and board. I fully expect our housing budget to come out of our own pockets and I've learned how to live on a thin dime after all these years. Cost of living is very much a factor in that case, which I've been looking at as well.

The main thing I've been looking at is rent since its easy to compare to what I'm currently renting. Walkscore is a great website for determining the feasibility of getting around without a car and the larger cities have crime data to view for safety. I've also checked out taxes. While Washington doesn't have income tax, sales taxes are pretty high; Oregon has income tax, but low sales tax; and California is just high taxes all around.

As far as postponing enrollment to establish residency, that shouldn't be necessary if I move at least a year prior to enrolling in a university. Quite honestly, my community college tuition is so high here, I could easily pay less as a non-resident in a community college in the PNW and can establish residency while attending general studies classes at the CC. By the time I am ready to transfer, I will have established residency.

As to student debt, how much should I be looking at as reasonable if I have to take on some loans? I don't know what type of job I'll be looking at, but according to glassdoor, the salary range for even a personal trainer is $25k-$49k and should I decide to go clinical, it's a bit higher than that. So, assuming I can get a job right out of school for $25k annually, I would think a reasonable debt load would be around $15-$18k? I don't know; I'm pulling numbers out of my a$$. What's a good debt to income ratio for student loans?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
If you are getting Pell Grants and financial aid to go to a community college, there is a very good chance you will get all or close to all of your school paid for at a 4 year university, even high priced ones. Don't let cost deter you until you get a financial aid offer from the schools. Yes, some of that aid may be in the form of loans but not much of it will most likely. I think you are wasting your time and money at a community college for the career path you are seeking.

Also, have you researched the job market for your field? Is there any chance of getting a job in that market?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
CG, what kind of jobs are available for someone with a degree in exercise physiology and sports nutrition? Are these jobs plentiful, and will they provide the kind of income boost you are expecting? The reason I ask is because the personal trainers at the gym where I belong (a large one) do not make a great, steady salary... at least that's what they tell me.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon_Girl View Post

I think you should consider all of your options locally, first. If you like NC, what is a few more years? You are already an established resident.

The other thing to consider is that would you move to the PNW even if you would not attend college there? I mean, is that where you want to live regardless of college? I ask because you mention that you are "living on the edge" and with having to make decisions like fixing the car or buying groceries, I am not sure how you plan on surviving in the areas you mention seeing as how the COL is higher in these places.

You have a 13 yo to consider. If you can swing it financially, then go for it. If not, then either wait until you can save up enough $$ to do so (even if you have jobs lined up in the PNW) or until you finish your degree.

I can tell you as a California native who went to college out-of-state (after doing a year at a California CC) and wanting to return to school in California later in life that it is really hard to [re]gain residency status in California. Well, harder then with most other states, anyways.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as a mother who is returning to college later in life, you have many, many scholarships available to you. There are also tons of blogs by women just like you. Do a Google search, and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities