Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsons211 View Post
And what are the requirements for being admitted to your college?
Don't you know?

According to the posters on city-data...
- All private universities are free for everyone who makes less than $80K
- Everyone can get into Princeton and comparing Princeton to other private universities makes total sense.

What a magical web of fairy tales we weave on city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

According to the posters on city-data...
- All private universities are free for everyone who makes less than $80K
- Everyone can get into Princeton. And going to any other university makes you a moron...
I disagree on these points. While private universities have more generous tuition aid packages than public universities and can often yield in lower debt, it's not necessarily free. Nor is it always the best choice.

I don't know how hard it is to get into Princeton, but there's lots of good schools.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM

753 posts, read 843,866 times
Attending a CC, then transferring is good for most. However, if future plans are undecided you simply can't expect that every credit will transfer.

Part of the initial college (especially CC) experience is finding out the best career choice while getting those core course out of the way while they're fresh on the mind. Most all core curriculum course from an accredited Community College are going to transfer to most 'standard' 4-year schools. If you decide to go to some random, private or unaccredited university after that, then credits may go haywire.

My story (from experience as a student and higher ed. administrator) is to plan ahead. I knew going in that my CC credits were going to transfer to my University because they had an established partnership for transfer students. It's becoming commonplace for most all public schools. That said, student's must understand that there are limits for quantity of credits to be transferred and each school may transfer things a bit differently.

I decided not to seek an AA because some of the courses required would not transfer and be credited toward my BS. That was a personal decision but I didn't want to take anything that I didn't need in order to keep the cost down. I didn't have to seek student loans at all during CC. That really helped to be more economical in the long run.

Granted, I was seeking education and music degrees not planning for medical school.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I disagree on these points. While private universities have more generous tuition aid packages than public universities and can often yield in lower debt, it's not necessarily free. Nor is it always the best choice.

I don't know how hard it is to get into Princeton, but there's lots of good schools.
It was sarcasm and exaggeration.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Quote:
It was sarcasm and exaggeration.

Have read the TOS? Neither of those is allowed on C-D!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Another point not discussed about starting at a CC is going "away" for college, especially the first 2 years is an important step for kids to take toward adulthood, many things learned outside of the classroom being on a college campus, having to take care of yourself, for the most part, without your parents close by. There is also the lack of the college experience, making friendships, living in dorms, etc. that can't be duplicated living at home and attending a class or two at a community college each day. I think these things are AS important as what you learn in the classroom while you are in college as well.

Then, we want our kids to do a study abroad, not possible if you do 2 years at a CC then transfer unless you are going to add a semester or more--which then negates any "savings" one MIGHT have realized attending a CC.

Participating in club teams, sports, various organisations, etc. doesn't happen at the CC level for most kids either. What if you want to play in the band, I don't know of any CC that has a music program. There is just a lot MORE at a 4 year college.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM

191 posts, read 486,009 times
Quote:
Because it is often a more expensive route. If you go to my alma mater, you are graduate with no debt. That cannot be guaranteed for the 2+2 plan.
In my opinion, of course not from my personal experience, but from viewing other friends experience who attend/have attended private universities, it's more expensive to students in middle-class households. If you are considered to have low income, then you may likely to get a great financial aid package, and if you are considered to have higher income then you can pay for your tuition out of pocket.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsons211 View Post
In my opinion, of course not from my personal experience, but from viewing other friends experience who attend/have attended private universities, it's more expensive to students in middle-class households. If you are considered to have low income, then you may likely to get a great financial aid package, and if you are considered to have higher income then you can pay for your tuition out of pocket.
I'll give numbers for my school. A family of 4 with a household income of $80k is expected to pay $5,830 out of pocket per year. This covers Tuition, fees, room, board, books, personal expenses and transportation cost. I used $80k as I was trying to target middleclass. That $5,830 is split up into $4,300 from the parents and $1,530 from a summer job.

The rest is paid by aid in the form of grants totaling $49,000.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
I'll give numbers for my school. A family of 4 with a household income of $80k is expected to pay $5,830 out of pocket per year. This covers Tuition, fees, room, board, books, personal expenses and transportation cost. I used $80k as I was trying to target middleclass. That $5,830 is split up into $4,300 from the parents and $1,530 from a summer job.

The rest is paid by aid in the form of grants totaling $49,000.
Which works out to be about $430/month for 10 months from the parents--about what I spend on extra food for my teenage boy

Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
And if your parents make more than $80K?
For $150,000, the family is expected to pay $17,530. $16,000 from parents, $1,530 from summer job. In this scenario, the student is expected to contribute an additional $2,900 by working a campus job. The aid in form of grants is $34,400.

This covers the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities