Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM

9,368 posts, read 13,034,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
And I don't think Hopkins and Georgetown particularly like taking on CC feeder students, them being snobby rich private schools.
This is way off-base. Not to mention, it reeks of sour grapes. That said, in response to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wouldn't worry about saving up for masters. Go to the best school you can get into. You only get to do it once. In your case, it's John Hopkins.

As long as you do good at John Hopkins, you'll have no problem getting funding for masters if you decide to go in the future.

Also, it's best to go to a well-funded school that excels in your field rather than an underfunded state school. Go where the talent and the connections are.
It certainly doesn't hurt to apply to the more expensive schools. Who knows, they could very well throw a hefty scholarship your way. But going into debt for the sake of prestige is beyond stupid. I'm not familiar with biology, but if it's like most academic fields, making the most of your resources at a good state school like UMD will not at all hurt you when applying for graduate programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
You know the OP has not been admitted to any of these colleges yet. This is all speculation and personal preference. They are all well regarded.

She is making a leap (not exactly a quantum leap, but a leap none the less) when she is transferring from a Community College to a competitive to most competitive private school. It's not about snobism as much as it's about how each individual school will regard a 3.45 (or whatever) from a CC as opposed to a 3.45 from their own school - or another one on that list.

I forget the entire list, but other than American, there are not too many safety schools in that group. I am not in any way disparaging AU, but it's not as difficult as say, Hopkins.

There will be some adjustments in the GPA, and I would suggest that she add someplace like College Park and a few others into the mix.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
I would talk to some people at the National Zoo and find out which schools they recommend as they will probably be a good resource for that. I was going to recommend the University of Minnesota as they have a very nice cooperative agreement with the Minnesota Zoo until I got to your geographical limitations.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM

176 posts, read 288,948 times
Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

As far as getting admitted from CC into a competitive university, I know of students from my CC who have gotten accepted into Columbia, and none of the schools I listed are as good as Columbia so I know it is possible.

Mason is pretty much my backup. They have good research programs and work with Smithsonian and they specifically work with my CC (NVCC) so I've definitely got a spot there no matter what.

Just trying to get a handle on my other options. I especially appreciate some of you giving me info on colleges I haven't considered. The more information the better.

Also, as far as expensive schools, they have more money to give away than public schools. Our CC actually tells us it can work out to be far cheaper to go to a school like Georgetown vs. George Mason.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
Also, as far as expensive schools, they have more money to give away than public schools. Our CC actually tells us it can work out to be far cheaper to go to a school like Georgetown vs. George Mason.
It might work out that way, it might not. But either way, it's definitely worth the application fee.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,806,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
Alright so I’m in the need of a little advice. I’m trying to figure out what school I want to go to and I’ve narrowed it down to six options. Since many of these schools are extremely competitive I also need some advice on how to get into them!

The options:
John Hopkins University
Georgetown University
George Washington University
University of Maryland College Park
American University
George Mason University

I know there are some major differences between all of those, so here’s some background information on me:

I’m currently attending Northern Virginia Community College to get my associate’s degree. I’m a biology major, hoping to specialize in zoology, mainly conservation research and ethological research but I’m pretty much in love with all things wildlife so I can broaden my interests easily. I’m in my second semester right now, with a 3.76 GPA (with some honors courses), and hope to get that GPA up even more. I do NOT have a high school transcript as I dropped out at an early age and got my GED. I’m a Phi Theta Kappa member and plan on getting involved in the community through them. I don’t have SAT or ACT scores but plan on taking them in the future.

I live in Washington, DC (inner city, not suburbs) and because of my job (fulltime), my long term boyfriend, and my love of the city I do not want to move any time in the future though I am willing to commute to John Hopkins. This is why I haven’t included any schools outside of the DC area.

What do you all think the best fit would be for me considering the profession I want to go into? How can I raise my chances of acceptance into the more competitive schools (Georgetown, John Hopkins, etc.)? From a zoological standpoint what it the best choice?

Before anyone asks money is not really something that I feel will affect my decision. I honestly don’t have or make enough money to pay for ANY of these schools myself so no matter what I choose it will involve aid, grants, scholarships, and loans.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Honestly, a call to the admissions office at any of those schools is going to give you MUCH better information than the internet. Show up in person if you can and be a frequent visitor so that people will recognize your name and be able to put a face to it. Recognition can be a tie-breaker. (don't blow off the importance of personal interaction)

From what you've told us, your application is going to have a strike or two against it. You're going to be much more competitive if you make yourself known to the admisions office.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,119,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
This is way off-base. Not to mention, it reeks of sour grapes. That said, in response to the following:
Actually, I got into Hopkins.

In my mind, Princeton is on a level of only Harvard and Yale where so many doors are open just by getting an undergraduate degree from there, no matter what you got it in.

There might be a couple of other schools on that level, but Hopkins is not one of them.

Just my opinion...

Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Actually, I got into Hopkins.
I guess you're just prejudiced then. I know a lot of great people who went to both schools.

Hopkins may not be Harvard, Yale, or Princeton, but it's a damn fine school. It's usually not worth going into heavy debt for a bachelor's degree, but the same can be said for every school.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
There are a handful of schools that stand above the rest. In my opinion, Hopkins is one of them.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,733,935 times
I have a close relative in this field so I know something about this.

University of Maryland has one of the best and most respected programs in conservation, environmental science, and zoology. Not all schools offer a zoology major. John Hopkins is not the school for this major. They are better for molecular bio.

For this field, it is ESSENTIAL that you acquire field experience. Lab experience is important as well. U. of Maryland has wonderful on-site and off-site opportunities for hands-on study. Many of the top researchers in this field graduated from U. of M. They also have one of the few vet schools in the country. This is a highly specialized field of study and you cannot just pick the school based on its prestigious name. Pick a school that offers the most classes and hands-on opportunities for this course of study. Do you know what you want to specialize in? Zoology? Animal Behavior? Neurobiology? Ecology? Environmental Science? Marine Animals? A Ph.D. will also be necessary if you really wish to make this your occupation.

Other schools to consider would be Duke, University of San Diego, and U of California-Davis, depending on your specific area of interest.

Since you are super lucky to live in the DC area, I strongly suggest that you apply to volunteer/intern at one of the conservation insternships offered at the National Zoo and the Smithsonian. The National Zoo internship is supposed to be awesome.

The Zoology and the Ecology, Evolution, and Organism majors are usually a specialized major within the biology department. It is quite different from the more common molecular or pre-med route. Most jobs will involve either working at a university or for the government.

There's a lot of research being done on the Cheasapeake Bay right now. Check out volunteer and student research assistant opportunities.

Last edited by Coney; 02-09-2012 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities