Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,687 times

Advertisements

Go away if you can or live on campus if you live near your school. Social life is part of the college experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Going away, 500 miles from home, was the right choice for me, for many reasons. Actually, though, while to some, the "Going away is the more fun option" argument holds true, for me, it sucked a lot, especially in the beginning. I chose a school where I knew nobody, had no support system going in, and was horribly homesick and lonely in the beginning. However, it got better, and ultimately, there was a lot of personal growth that would not have occurred as it did had I been living at home and commuting to school (which would not have been possible to do, realistically, in my case, as the nearest 4-year university was over an hour away, and all others were 2-3 at the closest).

And learning how to attend to your responsibilities despite on-campus social distractions is a big part of growing up...a crash course in personal responsibility...not a bad thing to learn. Some students are not ready or prepared to live away from home, and can't handle the level of self-regulation necessary...but others become ready by just buckling down and doing it.
I agree with you. And as for myself, going 400 miles away did the same.

Many educators think that commuting actually requires more self discipline, as well as an equal amount of money.

If you want to leave home, you want your children to have this amazing experience or you do not know of how possible this is, you just have not really exhausted what is out there.

There is honestly no other time in your life when more people of the same exact age as you will be doing the same exact thing!
It's actually one of the easiest times to do this and to make this "semi-break"

Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Go away if you can or live on campus if you live near your school. Social life is part of the college experience.
Agree completely!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,902,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I stayed at home all four years of my undergraduate career and I don't regret it.
Pretty much. I considered moving away twice, but both times chickened out when I saw how much the complete package cost. I am very glad I made those decisions. I still managed to have a social life and study abroad. I think the only thing I missed out on was racking up a lot of debt.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Going Away to College
I must be from a different planet.
Imagine even having the choice to go away... (And what defines College age? age 14 to 99+ AFAIK)

I was caring for a disabled parent, a farm, and working 3 jobs during my entire college programs (3 engineering degrees). Many of my friends were in similar situations. Some went a few hours away to school and came home Friday-Monday to care for parents and farms. Several would go away and work in AK or international and get enough bucks to support their parents and siblings, then later college for themselves. I put my Sis through college BEFORE I went myself.

BTW... I Commuted (only 1hr daily so I could be to work on time (2pm - 2AM-F + most weekends)). Good thing was that I had NO time to spend money, so I bought my first house at age 19. (Currently on house #24 and degree #5)

Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Commuter colleges have their purposes, but residential was definitely a better choice, for me. It wasn't really something that impacted me largely, financially, either...my scholarships covered nearly all my room, board, and tuition.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post

You were lucky if you could afford a social life in college. My parents asked me to leave when I was 18 and since they made quite a bit of money, I didn't qualify for ANY type of financial aid. I had to work a full time job, a few part time jobs and go to school full time (while trying to figure out how to support myself and pay for tuition/books etc.). I hardly had time to sleep much less socialize!

I was attending an University less than 30 minutes away from where I grew up, I couldn't afford to move far away.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
At the end of the day it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how much the student takes advantage of their education.

I disagree with all of your points, and I don't think that going away improves any of those besides #4

Most college students are still helpless and rely on their parents even 500+ miles away. I learned more in high school than most of these college kids.
I agree with burgler. I've had classmates in their mid 20's living back with their parents because they had too much fun away from home.

Every student is different.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,686 times
In my experience, the bond you make with others when you go away is powerful. Students cling to each other when they are away from family and friends. You grow to rely on each other and feel strong connections. Everyone else is in the same boat.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
At the end of the day it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how much the student takes advantage of their education.

I disagree with all of your points, and I don't think that going away improves any of those besides #4

Most college students are still helpless and rely on their parents even 500+ miles away. I learned more in high school than most of these college kids.
This is how I feel as well My 18 year old is currently debating if he wants to live on campus or commute. I don't want him to be distracted w/ the drinking, partying, etc. that is notorious on college campuses. My primary concern is that he really gets a lot out of the education, or it's all pointless.

I know of kids who went hundreds of miles away to college, lived in the dorms, partied like there was no tomorrow & now are back home,
working for minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities