Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,548,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
This is how I feel as well My 18 year old is currently debating if he wants to live on campus or commute. I don't want him to be distracted w/ the drinking, partying, etc. that is notorious on college campuses. My primary concern is that he really gets a lot out of the education, or it's all pointless.

I know of kids who went hundreds of miles away to college, lived in the dorms, partied like there was no tomorrow & now are back home,
working for minimum wage.
I think that the point of a college education is not only to get an education but to also figure out who you are and what you want out of life and how to make that work. That's what happens when you have to make your own choices without a parent looking over your shoulder.

My kids have each gone to colleges out of state, messed up, fixed their messes and are indeed productive adults. I trusted that we raised them with good values to make those right decisions. So far, so good.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I must be from a different planet.
Imagine even having the choice to go away... (And what defines College age? age 14 to 99+ AFAIK)

I was caring for a disabled parent, a farm, and working 3 jobs during my entire college programs (3 engineering degrees). Many of my friends were in similar situations. Some went a few hours away to school and came home Friday-Monday to care for parents and farms. Several would go away and work in AK or international and get enough bucks to support their parents and siblings, then later college for themselves. I put my Sis through college BEFORE I went myself.

BTW... I Commuted (only 1hr daily so I could be to work on time (2pm - 2AM-F + most weekends)). Good thing was that I had NO time to spend money, so I bought my first house at age 19. (Currently on house #24 and degree #5)
Sounds like you lived in a very different part of the country than where I did. There were no jobs without a college degree - certainly none that would allow one to buy at house at 19 (and this was a low COL area). I couldn't even find work while in high school because of the rapidly softening market - so I made doing well academically and getting merit aid and grants my job. I got more money in scholarships than my town's average household income in order to go 1000 miles away (to a place with public transportation) and double majored, double minored, learned one foreign language to fluency, and worked 2 jobs (one which involved a 3 mile commute on foot). All while, as I later found out, I had cancer that was sapping away my energy.

I sometimes wonder when people say things about not being able to go away to college. I could have gotten a full ride had I not gone to such a prestigious school - all because I did what I was supposed to do in high school. Even my brother got a fairly big scholarship, and he had a sub 3.5 GPA.

Commuting would have been much more expensive- involving buying a car, driving over an hour to the nearest college (which was not that well-regarded) and facing less scholarship money due to it's smaller endowment. Instead, I had most of my tuition covered and just had to pay for living expenses, books, meals, and a round trip flight once a year.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,678,288 times
I went away for undergrad. I was able to have independence and be able to meet classmates from all over the country. Those are two great things about going away. I had an overall great experience and I am glad that I did go away! However, I do believe that one should be mentally and emotionally prepared for going away!

I stayed home and commuted for grad school, because: 1) I still had the job, and needed the money, and 2) staying home was the most affordable. I went to a grad school where I was able to meet people all over the world! In addition, I got a great graduate education. For these reasons, I never regretted it!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think that the point of a college education is not only to get an education but to also figure out who you are and what you want out of life and how to make that work. That's what happens when you have to make your own choices without a parent looking over your shoulder.

My kids have each gone to colleges out of state, messed up, fixed their messes and are indeed productive adults. I trusted that we raised them with good values to make those right decisions. So far, so good.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

I agree with this.

I also applaud the expectations that the outcome may not be perfect, but that the experience, even the experience of messing up, can be educational.

I also trust that I have raised good kids with good values. If they make mistakes while away from home, that's not an indictment of them or of going away to college. It's part of growing up.

Young adults need a transitional place, and going away to college does more than just educate academically. It's an invaluable life experience.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I went away for undergrad. I was able to have independence and be able to meet classmates from all over the country. Those are two great things about going away. I had an overall great experience and I am glad that I did go away! However, I do believe that one should be mentally and emotionally prepared for going away!

I stayed home and commuted for grad school, because: 1) I still had the job, and needed the money, and 2) staying home was the most affordable. I went to a grad school where I was able to meet people all over the world! In addition, I got a great graduate education. For these reasons, I never regretted it!
Grad school is another thing. I think many people do what you did.

I agree that children need to be prepared for going away to college. I've done this since they were old enough to understand the concept. I also encouraged any opportunity to leave home, and to experience other cultures and people. From volunteer opportunities, to summer camp, I sent them to places where they were likely to realize that the world did not revolve around our home and our town.

Even so, my eldest was influenced by some friends that he met here in Pennsylvania, who were planning to commute.
While we felt flattered to some degree that he was happy at home, we took him to visit campuses that are out of state and diverse.

He is now excited about going away to college.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,629,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Pretty much. I considered moving away twice, but both times chickened out when I saw how much the complete package cost. I am very glad I made those decisions. I still managed to have a social life and study abroad. I think the only thing I missed out on was racking up a lot of debt.

I agree completely. I graduated with zero college debt by commuting.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,629,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I agree with burgler. I've had classmates in their mid 20's living back with their parents because they had too much fun away from home.

Every student is different.

I know many who moved back home after college due to the above. For anyone who says college kids need a social life by living away from home, mid 20-somethings need a social life even more by living away from home.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I know many who moved back home after college due to the above. For anyone who says college kids need a social life by living away from home, mid 20-somethings need a social life even more by living away from home.
I know kids who stayed at home and never graduated also. In the end it depends on the kid and how the parents have prepared them.

Last edited by Gatornation; 05-08-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I know kids who stayed at home and never graduated also. In the end it depends on the kid and what how the parents have prepared them.
I know of SO MANY MORE who stayed at home and dropped out.
Community Colleges right out of college are notorious for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities