Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Online universities provide a more convenient means to obtain an education. They are legitimate options, especially for working adults with families and businesses to run. Not everyone can go to a B&M school, especially with budget cuts forcing some schools to give preference to out-of-state and foreign students for the high tuition fees they pay. These schools are money-driven. These attacks on online schools because they're "for-profit" are really are ridiculous as the birther movement.

We're in the 21st century now, and fortunate to have the online option so education is available to more people.
Many BM schools have online programs now. There is nO reason to go to a for-profit and pay more for an inferior degree. The main reason for going is they let anyone in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM

69 posts, read 268,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Many BM schools have online programs now. There is nO reason to go to a for-profit and pay more for an inferior degree. The main reason for going is they let anyone in.
Who do you think would get hired?

1. Someone with 10 years work experience in the field who graduated from an online for-profit university or someone with 1 year work experience in the field who graduated from a brick and mortar school?

2. Someone who has a down to earth persona during the interview or someone who has the "know it all" persona during interview?

Once you have an experience in your field, do you really think that the school still matters for the hiring person?

During interview, the MAJORITY of hiring authorities think, "I can work with this person and we will get along well" or "This person will be a pain in the ass to work with".

Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practical111 View Post

1. Someone with 10 years work experience in the field who graduated from an online for-profit university or someone with 1 year work experience in the field who graduated from a brick and mortar school?

2. Someone who has a down to earth persona during the interview or someone who has the "know it all" persona during interview?

Once you have an experience in your field, do you really think that the school still matters for the hiring person?

During interview, the MAJORITY of hiring authorities think, "I can work with this person and we will get along well" or "This person will be a pain in the ass to work with".
All you need to do is look at salary and employment data for those that graduate(not many do) from a for-profit. When a school has no requirements the students are poor. Simple as that.

No one who can get into a real school is spending more money for an inferior eduction.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Hundreds, if not thousands, of non-profit schools have online programs. I got my BA at a public college and I'm attending a public university (in-state) for my master's all online. I plan on applying to an online PhD program that's at a public university. The people who think for-profits are their only option have not searched very hard. Do more than just look at t.v. commercials, billboards, and Google ads.

There is absolutely no reason why someone should spend $715 per credit hour to get a master's degree at University of Phoenix unless they can't get in anywhere else. It doesn't matter if the degree is seen as legit by employers. There are plenty of higher quality online programs around that price or less. I attended UoP's Axia College for over a year when I was 19 (unfortunately young and dumb). There was nothing but busy work and my classmates were nearly illiterate. Community colleges are filled with illiterate students too, but at least they're cheaper and I wasn't saddled with irrelevant, busy work.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Okay, I will rephrase my statement:

ALL schools need MONEY.

The categories are:

State-funded public colleges and universities: They get their MONEY from taxes paid for by the working Americans.

Non-Profit colleges and universities: They MUST spend the MONEY that they earn to improve the school like buying new buildings, expanding the programs, reconstruction of the old buildings, etc.

For-profit colleges and universities: The MONEY that they make are spent to their Board.

ALL SCHOOLS are business. ALL business needs profit to keep it open. Otherwise, the business will CLOSE DOWN if there is no MONEY from any source.

Compare the tuition of a non-profit school, National University's online classes at $1422 per course for non-military. Compare it to American Military University or American Public University that is a for-profit school at $750 per course whether you are military or non-military.

Get what I mean?
I get what you're trying to say, but you're wrong. A non-profit university is not a business no matter how you look at it.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,076,286 times
Quote:

I wish this were still true. Unfortunately, in recent months we have known several people who were awesome applicants, highly experienced, interviewed well, but not hired because they do not have a 4 year degree. Something is changing in Corporate America. I'm not sure what it is or why... it probably boils down to money: the more experienced people expect higher pay and benefits while the fresh out of college person is just happy to work their tail off for scraps even if they don't know what they are doing. This is what we've seen with large telecommunication companies, anyway. They are probably trying to phase out benefits and want fresh applicants who don't know any better and they can offer them less.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,076,286 times
All schools are businesses, sure, but not all are run the same. Just like all 4-year schools offer degrees, yet not all are held in the same regard.

The more I have thought about this issue... the less I feel sorry for the people who sign up for these schools. It's their life, their debt, their choice.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 PM

366 posts, read 732,734 times
Non-profit doesn't mean "Nobody Profits".

Old 06-23-2012, 02:34 PM

81 posts, read 153,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
There's a huge difference with an on-line for-profit college and a brick and mortar college that offers on-line classes. Berklee is a well respected brick and mortar college, no wonder the classes were good. The OP is talking about colleges like University of Phoenix.

Yes, for profit schools like U of Phoenix are basically scams supported by guaranteed student loans. The credits don't transfer anywhere and the degrees they grant are generally looked on as garbage.

Lots of not for profit schools have started offering classes (and sometimes entire degrees) online and these are generally looked on the same as their brick and mortar classes.

The only not for profit I know of that is entirely online is Western Governors University, and it is quite a bit cheaper than the for profit schools.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGrande View Post
Yes, for profit schools like U of Phoenix are basically scams supported by guaranteed student loans. The credits don't transfer anywhere and the degrees they grant are generally looked on as garbage.
While I do not like UoP, it does not help your argument to throw out false statements. UoP is regionally accredited and their credits do transfer to many non-profit schools. Even Texas A&M accepts UoP credits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities