Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,624,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGrande View Post
Yes, for profit schools like U of Phoenix are basically scams supported by guaranteed student loans. The credits don't transfer anywhere and the degrees they grant are generally looked on as garbage.

Lots of not for profit schools have started offering classes (and sometimes entire degrees) online and these are generally looked on the same as their brick and mortar classes.

The only not for profit I know of that is entirely online is Western Governors University, and it is quite a bit cheaper than the for profit schools.
The credits do transfer, I have credits with Post University online and am able to transfer them to another school, which I will be forced to do since they have raised their tuition through the roof this month.

I was looking into WGU as a possibility, they seemed to be a well regarded school, and passing the classes is no joke. They require you to have a webcam during final exams to be sure you're not cheating.

Also, some online schools actually ARE looked down upon. For instance while doing research, it was interesting to find out that some employers look down on a degree from DeVry, because the school is known as a joke as anyone can pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities