Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,559 times

Advertisements

Before I explain, I'm well aware this wasn't a good career choice I've made so try to keep the chastising to a minimum.

My biggest passion in life was animation, I'm talking about the style that Disney did to the CGI we see today. There "used" to be openings for apprentices and paid internships before the turn of the millennium.

During my school years, they've been drying up... mainly outsourced to China or India since an animator's salary used to be pretty good, and jobs were stable... now you're lucky if you get contractual work.

So I'm feeling like I'm starting over, but don't want to bring myself to just toss what I've paid far too much money for. Which brings me to my question: What is the value of a computer science degree, and how can I apply it?

Closest thing I can think of is IT, but that field requires far more specialization. Were I live however positions are rare and lowballed, not to mention competitive. What can one with a BA of CS do to rectify him/herself in a poor job market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 06:38 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,549,537 times
Design an animation processor?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM

213 posts, read 422,459 times
Dude, I feel your pain. I plan on moving from Aviation into the IT security field, but my problem I have right now is finding the right two year school that can help me into a 4 year school. I could do it here, but I am fed up of Florida right now.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
CS? Get a programming job.

That's not really an appropriate degree for IT.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,549,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
CS? Get a programming job.

That's not really an appropriate degree for IT.
You follow he is trying to cross this with animation?

I am thinking that hardware -- Graphics Processors -- are already too established for much expansion, but maybe applications -- like medical imaging?

Maybe some sort of Animation Compiler?

Flight and other simulators?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You follow he is trying to cross this with animation?

I am thinking that hardware -- Graphics Processors -- are already too established for much expansion, but maybe applications -- like medical imaging?

Maybe some sort of Animation Compiler?

Flight and other simulators?
CS would leave one completely unqualified for a hardware job. Coding animation/rendering programs or games (tough to get into) could be a good use of both a CS degree and animation skills.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Animation has nothing to do with Computer Science unless you're talking about implementing graphics engines.

The good jobs in computer science require a decent level of mathematics knowledge, you don't see many BA programs in computer science. Is this some watered down computer science program?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Animation has nothing to do with Computer Science unless you're talking about implementing graphics engines.

The good jobs in computer science require a decent level of mathematics knowledge, you don't see many BA programs in computer science. Is this some watered down computer science program?
Lots of schools offer a BA in CS. And yes, it's just watered down normal CS.

Personally, I'd be very hesitant to hire them for a math-intensive position (like making graphics engines).

Old 05-28-2012, 12:02 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,515 times
A computer science degree (or anything technology or computer related) is very valuable no matter what people tell you about outsourcing. If anything, learning various programming languages allow you to create and maintain websites which I know several MIS students have gotten internships for.

On a personal note, I have so many business ideas but, they involve computers and programming which I don't have the skills for. At least with a comp sci degree you can turn a business idea into reality (for example, I was thinking about taking notes and making interactive eBooks for iPads and selling them to students VS selling conventional notes).

Good Luck!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Lots of schools offer a BA in CS. And yes, it's just watered down normal CS.
Though I've heard of them, I can't think of any college that actually offers one.

I don't know, a BA in computer science seems strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities