Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM

301 posts, read 805,271 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to meet some! I'm a French major and am just curious to see what others have done with similar majors.

I'm not really sure what I will do after college. I thought that I wanted to be a high school French teacher for a really long time (up until this year really). Now I'm not so sure. I'm still considering teaching because I think deep down, that's really my passion. Education has always been very important to me. Even when I was a little kid I wanted to be a teacher. It has been a lifelong dream. I also eventually want to open up my own schools one day. I'd love to start a secondary private school, especially if I could get funding for it so that all students could attend regardless of money. I'd also love to start an immersion elementary school in my hometown where there are limited public choice options.

At the same time, I'm also considering law school as well as work in the Theatre business (behind the scenes). I don't see French being particularly useful for either one. :-/

So anyone else? I'd like to see where others are going with their degree or what they have done with their degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
At the same time, I'm also considering law school as well as work in the Theatre business (behind the scenes). I don't see French being particularly useful for either one. :-/
Why law school?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM

130 posts, read 365,998 times
just a dose of reality, when a person majors in language they do so because they have become enamonred with the language and the culture itself and there is nothing wrong with that, however, i hope you like teaching because that will be the ONLY thing that slip of paper is good for. I know several foreign language majors, they either double-majored or they ended up as teachers. Those that just got the degree itself and didnt teach, one of them is now at walmart, hating life and his job. I am just saying. As an ex foreign language major myself, tread lightly and think carefully about what you are doing. I would recommend a strong double-major or minor

Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,171,432 times
eh imo the foriegn language majors who struggle in finding gainful employment do so because they had no idea what kind of job they wanted in the first place, not because the degree itself was useless. just having a degree in general will get your foot in the door for many careers, esp if you are intelligent, hardworking, and start doing serious work on career-searching/networking starting your senior year in college at the latest.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 PM

really? maybe it depends on location ..i come from a small town..another person i know worked in the payroll dept of a company. She also had a degree in spanish but then i found out she got the job BEFORE she got the degree...and brocco..what jobs would be suited for foreign language majors besides teaching?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,171,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post
really? maybe it depends on location ..i come from a small town..another person i know worked in the payroll dept of a company. She also had a degree in spanish but then i found out she got the job BEFORE she got the degree...and brocco..what jobs would be suited for foreign language majors besides teaching?
hm i know some in finance/investment banking, consulting, gov jobs, risk management, research, business, marketing, legal claims (those are all the jobs that are unrelated to the major anyway). a lot do go on to grad school and/or get sucked into academia. there are definitely plenty of jobs still that only require a degree in general and not a degree in anything specific. of course if you're dumb and lazy like many college students these days you will probably struggle

Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
It depends on the language. People with knowledge of E European langs, Central Asian langs, Arabic, Chinese and Spanish can get jobs with US gov't security agencies, like the NSA. You can get a job as a Romance Languages Department administrator in a university. If you like teaching, you should go into teaching, the public schools need good teachers, if you don't mind "classroom management", the discipline side of teaching. For job security in the schools, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a second discipline, like Spanish or English as a Second Language, or Special Ed (those last two rarely get cut when there are school budget cuts). Conceivably, with a little background in economic development, or Francophone Africa, you could get a job with the US gov't aid agency that distributes foreign aid to Africa.www.africafoundation.org

Lawyers are getting to be a dime-a-dozen nowadays, though the theater angle sounds interesting. Do you have a background in theater? My vote is with teaching. You'll need some education courses for that.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM

wow i didnt think of that...maybe i need to expand my horizons? I live near a big city in my city and ALL the business jobs that i have seen even marketing required a degree in business. Maybe through networking they were able to do this? Yeah my friend will probably end up in academia..check this out..he actually has a friend that works in HR in houston and he STILL cannot work even there because she told him that he didnt have a business degree..now doesnt that suck?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post
wow i didnt think of that...maybe i need to expand my horizons? I live near a big city in my city and ALL the business jobs that i have seen even marketing required a degree in business. Maybe through networking they were able to do this? Yeah my friend will probably end up in academia..check this out..he actually has a friend that works in HR in houston and he STILL cannot work even there because she told him that he didnt have a business degree..now doesnt that suck?
These days, with so much unemployment, employers can be really picky. They can require a lot more education than is really needed for a job, because the people are out there who have those qualifications and are unemployed. The ante has gone way up in the job search market.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM

yeah and thats a shame because at the end of the day, we are all just trying to work and get ahead in life and not have to depend on family and/or gov to help us out and some of us(like myself) do not have that option. I just tried to look up some marketing jobs, they either want a degree in marketing or communications and this was in new york.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities