Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,766 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,383,001 times
I think being educated matters. But who cares where you get that education? No one is checking your transcript at a party! Whether you skipped school entirely, and just read a lot - or you have a masters - or anything in between - most of the time, as long as you can keep up with the conversation, it won't matter one whit, where, or if you went to school.

That said, there can be advantages to having gone to a specific school. I'm enrolled in a well-known university right now, and it comes up in conversation occasionally, since it's my main focus right now - and I am always surprised how excited alumni get, when I name the school. It's like an instant connection - and that can be a benefit, socially.

But in general, when people ask where you went to school, they're usually just making conversation - and there is no wrong answer.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I think being educated matters. But who cares where you get that education? No one is checking your transcript at a party! Whether you skipped school entirely, and just read a lot - or you have a masters - or anything in between - most of the time, as long as you can keep up with the conversation, it won't matter one whit, where, or if you went to school.

That said, there can be advantages to having gone to a specific school. I'm enrolled in a well-known university right now, and it comes up in conversation occasionally, since it's my main focus right now - and I am always surprised how excited alumni get, when I name the school. It's like an instant connection - and that can be a benefit, socially.

But in general, when people ask where you went to school, they're usually just making conversation - and there is no wrong answer.
This is a little comforting to know.
I'm confident of my abilities to pass other academic subjects apart from hard-math.
If it means just getting by on my CDL and a future diesel-tech certification, we'll let it ride.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,372 times
yes, in the same way that many people "look down on" those of lower socioeconomic levels. its not the end of the world and not everyone does it but its just one of those things that you have to deal with in life.

(i'm assuming you're asking about people in general and not our personal feelings on the matter)

Last edited by brocco; 06-01-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
"Look down on" them? No. Frequently I am working for them. Many of the construction businesses that I advise are run by very bright self-educated people who did nto go to college. I respect them a great deal.

What I do not respect is people who are too lazy to turn on their brains. Most of the idiot I encounter are pefectly capable of being smart, just too lazy. I believe that there is really very little difference in the intelligence capabilities of most people. It is just whether or not there is a willinglness to work their brains.

For some people, college is neceessary to get them to work their brains. For others it is not necessary. For others again it will nto do them any good, they are only going to do the minimum necessary to get through and then turn off their brains.

Maybe a few peole are just plain stupid, but most "stupid" people are really just lazy.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 AM

27,595 posts, read 28,700,475 times
It's arrogant and stupid for a person to look down on others based on educational level.

Life is so much more than that.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,538 times
If they do, it's just another instance in which people are narrow minded and unable to understand that not everyone is wired the same way. There are some people for whom college is expected, planned for and unquestionably going to happen. These kids grow up with that so anything other than following that path is foreign to them and they might look down on others simply because they believe their way is the right way.

On the other hand, there are those that are not suited for higher education. I was one of those people when I got out of high school and got my degrees a little later. Hard as it may be to believe, there are people that would be content with stocking boxes at the supermarket for their entire lives. Nothing wrong with that.

There are plenty of educated people that think manual laborers or low skilled workers are peons and beneath them but conversely, there are low skilled workers who think every college educated person is a snob. They automatically assume that the grad is looking down on them even when that is not the case.

I don't look down on anyone. I think you should follow the path in life that makes you the happiest and enables you to manage your monthly necessaries. If you are doing that, pay no mind to what others say.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM

208 posts, read 819,911 times
I value common sense more than anything.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:42 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,300,574 times
I am sure some people do, just as there are those who don't. I think most people will judge you on your merits.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
What I do not respect is people who are too lazy to turn on their brains.
This.

The worst are people who are too lazy to turn on their brains, yet think they know everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities