Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,723 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm 19 years old currently working at Johns Hopkins Hospital making 13/hr. I wanna go to community college soon but I have no idea what I want to major in AT ALL. My fiancee is majoring in Anthropology at the moment and seems to be doing well. I just have no idea what I want to do. I want to major in something that will have us financially set but I have still have no idea what I wanna do. Growing up my family struggled a lot and still does to this day so I want to make enough money so my future family won't have to go through that.

I'm interested in in History but I heard that that wan't a lucrative career to get into. I was also thinking about something in the healthcare field besides being a nurse but I really don't know. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroNinja View Post
I wanna go to community college soon but I have no idea what I want to major in. .... I was also thinking about something in the healthcare field besides being a nurse but I really don't know. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
I would recommend staying out of college and saving up money until you know what you want to do. I would recommend looking at hard sciences, medical or engineering if you are concerned about making money. Liberal arts is largely dead unless you want to go to law school or teach.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
My motto for something as expensive as college is 'when still in doubt, do nothing'. I would wait until you have a better idea of what you want to do day in and day out for the next 50 years or so.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
My motto for something as expensive as college is 'when still in doubt, do nothing'. I would wait until you have a better idea of what you want to do day in and day out for the next 50 years or so.
Yeaa but Johns Hopkins gives $10,000 a year to go to school and when you finish they make you work there with your field for 2 years. My fiancee told me to just take general studies but I don't wanna waste my time doing that.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post

Old 06-03-2012, 06:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
It's good to see young people thinking about their future ... and not at all unusual that you don't know what to major in. Keep in mind that the first two years of college are largely spent in general studies classes that apply to almost any major (so, even though education is never a waste of time, you won't be wasting your time on unnecessary classes). Even if you declare a major going-in, you will have a couple of years to firm that up.

One thing you'll want to address early-on is the transfer of credits from the particular community college you are considering ... and a couple of potential colleges where you might complete your degree. In some cases, you will not get full credit unless you fully complete your 2-year Associates degree.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's good to see young people thinking about their future ... and not at all unusual that you don't know what to major in. Keep in mind that the first two years of college are largely spent in general studies classes that apply to almost any major (so, even though education is never a waste of time, you won't be wasting your time on unnecessary classes). Even if you declare a major going-in, you will have a couple of years to firm that up.
This is generally good advice. However, if one wants to major in one of the sciences, it is important to start the introductory sequences during freshman year if one wants to graduate on time. That doesn't mean a person *can't* do it, but I recommend to anyone who is unsure of their major to take the "harder" version of courses where there are two versions (usually math and science) so that it will apply toward any major. For example, a history major can get away with a basic science sequence designed for non-majors, but the majors' version will also count at 99.9% of universities. Conversely, if that person decides to change to a science major, then he or she would have to retake the introductory science sequence.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Do you have no strong interests whatsoever? If history really is your thing, then go for it. You should probably work on whatever you need to do to be a teacher while you're at it, though.
Quote:
For example, a history major can get away with a basic science sequence designed for non-majors, but the majors' version will also count at 99.9% of universities.
Not only will they count, they're often much easier. The non-science major courses cram in a lot of stuff with little to no connection between topics, resulting in students having to memorize dozens and dozens of formulas with no particular insight as to when to use what or where it's all coming from. Take kinematics, for example. Someone in a science major course will need to learn a = dv/dt and v = dx/dt. Someone in a non-science major course will be given a dozen formulas for figuring out displacement, speed, acceleration, times, etc. It turns simple concepts into something of nightmarish complexity.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroNinja View Post
Hi, I'm 19 years old currently working at Johns Hopkins Hospital making 13/hr. I wanna go to community college soon but I have no idea what I want to major in AT ALL. My fiancee is majoring in Anthropology at the moment and seems to be doing well. I just have no idea what I want to do. I want to major in something that will have us financially set but I have still have no idea what I wanna do. Growing up my family struggled a lot and still does to this day so I want to make enough money so my future family won't have to go through that.

I'm interested in in History but I heard that that wan't a lucrative career to get into. I was also thinking about something in the healthcare field besides being a nurse but I really don't know. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
There is nothing that you can major in, in undergrad that will have you financially stable. If you want that, you have to look ahead to graduate or more likely professional school.

If you are clueless, I would major in soft science (like Psych for instance) and take all the prereqs for the Healthcare field.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You need a lot of general studies classes regardless of the degree, so start working on those and see if something strikes your fancy. You may find that you have a strong interest in English or history or psych, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities