Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 AM

213 posts, read 522,850 times

Advertisements

I've found it a daunting task to find a regular university that offers online degrees, but there are some.

Univ. of Maryland

Univ. of Illinois

Penn State

Eastern Oregon Univ.

Oregon State

Portland State

Arizona State

Univ. of Washington

Washington State

UNLV

Univ. of North Carolina-Pembroke

UCLA

There are more, but those are the one's I can think of off the top of my head. Although I am an Oregon fan through and through, I have to give props to Oregon State, as their distance education program is ranked as one of the top 25 in the country.

Here are links to check out accredited schools by section. (ie; Northeast, South, Northwest, and so on). You will have to check out each school and use the schools search option, but it's a start.

Middle States Commission on Higher Education

Roster of Institutions - New England Association of Schools and Colleges: Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE)

The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association

Directory of Institutions

Commission on Colleges

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 15,759 times
University of Illinois offers online programs at all three major campuses and it's quite an assortment offered. Lots of students from around the country. Northwestern offers a couple, if you can swing private tuition.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,933 times
Thomas Edison State College I know someone taking courses and they love it.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,129 times
abostonmama, Choosing an online degree program can be overwhelming. You want to have as much information as possible. It really depends on the kind of degree you would like to get. There are a number of online universities that offer courses in a traditional classroom setting as well as online options. For instance, if you would like to get a degree in Information Management Systems, and you are looking for a university that ranks high in student engagement, you should consider Bellevue University. [url=http://www.bellevue.edu/degrees/management-information-systems/]Management Information Systems Degree | Bellevue University[/url] They offer online and in-class options.

I've found that US News and World Reports offers a substantial amount of information about ranking colleges and universities.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:04 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,906,596 times
The cheapest online route to a bachelor's degree in the US that I have found, from regionally accredited institutions, is:
Clovis Community College (Clovis Community College) for generals/AA or AS, then Fort Hayes State (Virtual College) to finish up the bachelor's degree.
So, for a typical 128 credit degree, the breakdown would be: 12 credits at Clovis for $468 (which would come to around $2600 for 64 credits), and each credit at Fort Hayes State is $180 (which would come to about $11,500 for 64 credits), for a grand total of around $14,000 for an online, regionally accredited undergraduate degree. (Of course, there are other expenses such as books and technology fees, but still...)
That blows my mind, considering I paid $26K per year at my college 15 years ago :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities