Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM

919 posts, read 1,692,121 times

Advertisements

So my mother is pregnant & is due January 31,2013. I will be entering college August/September of 2013 is it a bad idea to start buying some dorm items now for financial reasons? ( i will be a senior in sept) On top of the baby there's prom and pictures and yearbook and all this other stuff. Sorry If this is a dumb question, but if it isn't could you guys maybe give me some ideas of things I could buy in bulk or ahead of time and keep for storage??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
I don't have any idea of what you would need to buy in bulk or store for over a year. If you live in a residence hall, your space is going to be very limited. You'll probably have enough personal space for a case of water and a case of Ramen noodles. You are better off just to set some money aside and forget about it until you actually need to buy things for school. As long as your school is not in the middle of a cornfield somewhere, there is going to be a Walmart or a Target or something nearby to pick up what you need. A lot of freshman bring way more than they need or have room for in their alloted space. Bring a minimal amount of stuff with you (such as bedding and clothing) and then go shopping for what you actually need.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,888 times
I agree - not sure what you would need to buy in bulk.....

If finances is an issue just start setting money aside. Your senior year stuff is going to be a bigger issue than stuff for your dorm. Senior pictures can be outrageous (we did them ourselves) - then you have announcements, cap and gown, etc. All adds up.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
So my mother is pregnant & is due January 31,2013. I will be entering college August/September of 2013 is it a bad idea to start buying some dorm items now for financial reasons? ( i will be a senior in sept) On top of the baby there's prom and pictures and yearbook and all this other stuff. Sorry If this is a dumb question, but if it isn't could you guys maybe give me some ideas of things I could buy in bulk or ahead of time and keep for storage??

Thanks!
No. I think it's a good idea. Staggering your purchases makes perfect sense to me.

I would make my first purchase a large long duffel bag. My second purchase would be a set of extra long sheets. Most Target and other discount stores carry them. Dorm beds tend to be a little bit longer than regular twin beds. An extra long comforter makes bed making easier. That could be your second purchase.

If you know what college you will be attending, they should have a list of items that are suggested, as well as ones that are not. If you haven't picked a college yet, just look on the web sites of a few that you are interested in attending.

I thing your idea and reasoning is sound.

I also don't know what you would need to purchase "in bulk" unless you see a very good sale on toothpaste or a shampoo or conditioner you like. The thing is, storage is an issue in a dorm.
There will be no place for a huge quantity of soap or shampoo in a dorm room. When you first go away, you will take enough toiletries to take you through to Thanksgiving.

Start with the duffel bag and the sheets. Add things as you see them on sale and have the money to purchase them. Towels are another item that will be important to you.

When I was in college we used trunks, which while heavy, were good because they gave more storage and doubled as coffee tables in the dorm room, where typically you will have only a bed, no night stand, a desk and chair and frequently, the dresser is built into the wall, so the trunk provided extra space.

Are trunks passe now?

So start with the sheets, ( you will want two sets) towels, and comforter! Let us know about your purchases! You are off to a good start!

Last edited by sheena12; 06-22-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 AM

22,617 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Do you know who your roommate is? You might want to discuss things with her.

All the college girls I know coordinated dorm room colors so nothing clashed.
Also, most only used ONE set of sheets. Wash, dry, and remake the bed... no need to store an extra set.

Were I you, I'd just save the money and buy when necessary.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM

919 posts, read 1,692,121 times
Clearly bulk wasn't the right word

I just mean like little things I guess, Idk the right word ;/

but thanks for all of the suggestions; I personally doubt I'd take too much, I'm always that person who doesn't bring enough, like I was looking at a list on another website and there was like 300 small things listed in alphabetical order I thought it was crazy.

However, if possible I would like to take what I can and avoid having to buy a lot of things once I actually start college.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
The best time to get great deals on College stuff is in September and October when that stuff goes on clearance. I think it's a fine idea to buy stuff ahead of time, but Pitt Chick is right about the coordinating colors stuff. A lot of girls do like to do that, so you might want to hold off on the bed cover/comforter. Also, until you've finalized your college don't buy a mini fridge or microwave. Those are two things that colleges have specific rules on and you will also want to coordinate with your roommate. There are lot's of good college lists out there, look them over and see what you think you need and what deals you can get - http://xatal.com/life/108-college-do...our-checklist/

Your most expensive purchase will be a laptop, but some colleges will provide them too or have specific requirements depending on your program, so I would wait on that as well.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,048 times
i think it would be hard to decide what to buy without knowing where you're going and what amenities will be provided. i would just be on the look out at clearance sections.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,888 times
You guys kind of made me giggle - shows the difference between girls and guys. My son has had contact info for his two roommates for a couple of months now.

Do you think any of them have reached out to each other? Nooooo..... typical guys. Figure they'll meet on move in day.

Pitt - my in-laws took our son shopping for bedding, etc. and she bought him two sets of sheets - she must have high expectations that he'll be washing them all the time. Second thought, maybe for a guy it's a good idea....he can just change them and get around to washing the other set whenever.

OP - the other thing to keep in mind that is that your specific dorm may determine what you need. For example, my son is in one of the only dorms on campus where they have their own bathroom per room. So they'll need shower curtain, etc. I'm waiting until they move in just in case another parent got one. If not I'll run to the store.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
Suggest you wait until you have a definitive college. The college will supply you with a basic list and you can coordinate with your roomate(s) regarding items that can be shared (TV/music, etc.) You might have a long twin bed which would require a different size sheet than a basic twin or you might have to rent an apartment due to limited dorm space. There are a lot of variables, so I suggest you save your money until you have your choice narrowed down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities