Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM

506 posts, read 959,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
My husband will be finishing up his first 2 years of credit at the local community college this comming May, then go on to a four year college to finish his BS.

I also did that and will be starting my second year at the four year school. I didn't have to take out loans until 1/2 through my first year at this 4 year college, and so far we haven't had to take out any loans for my husband.

The nice thing about our community college is the payment plan where you put a % down then pay off the remainder in 4 or 5 equal monthly installments, no interest, just a $25 fee to set up the payment plan. It's how we have managed to put ourselves through school. Although the loans are because the 4 year I am going to doesn't have the payment plan, but I still put money towards it every month except the last few months since I've been unemployed.
Congrats to both you and your husband. I never heard of that type of payment plan. I know at the school I go to there's a payment called a "step plan" where you pay in thirds for your quarter of school as long as you pay off all of your classes by the end of the quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Penn State satellite campuses are very limited in their offerings and offer few majors and limited bachelor's degrees.
After graduating from one of the satellite campuses with an associate degree, there is no guarantee of admission to Penn State's main campus unlike SUNY where Community College students are guaranteed admission to a SUNY campus after earning an associate degree.
Well that doesn't mean they will get into one of the better schools that are options. It seems like most states have a more complete university has other options to the flagship unlike PSU.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Penn State satellite campuses are very limited in their offerings and offer few majors and limited bachelor's degrees.
After graduating from one of the satellite campuses with an associate degree, there is no guarantee of admission to Penn State's main campus unlike SUNY where Community College students are guaranteed admission to a SUNY campus after earning an associate degree.
The PSU branch campuses are not like Community Colleges. The majors are offered at particular campuses and they state very clearly if you can finish them at that branch or if you need to finish at Main campus. While they do offer Associates, it's not their main thrust. To go to Main campus you must be accepted into that school's program. Engineering is hard to get into no matter what campus you start at. I think it makes sense that you won't be guaranteed admission to Main campus, but I think the bar set is a reasonable one.

Just because it's not like the SUNY's or UNC's colleges doesn't mean the PSU system is a bad one. Remember we also have 14 State colleges Welcome to the PA State System of Higher Education that are reasonably priced (unlike PSU) and fairly well regarded.

Oops, we've completely strayed from the OP, which was about CC's, not the Pennsylvania state colleges.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well that doesn't mean they will get into one of the better schools that are options. It seems like most states have a more complete university has other options to the flagship unlike PSU.
They will get into a better one than had they just transferred from a private school.
They relax thee standards quite a bit for students who get Associate degrees at NY State CCs.

The outcomes are mixed. A student can gain entrance into a university center with a GPA as low as 2.75.

They get in, but statistically they do not do well when it comes do getting out. Graduating.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The PSU branch campuses are not like Community Colleges. The majors are offered at particular campuses and they state very clearly if you can finish them at that branch or if you need to finish at Main campus. While they do offer Associates, it's not their main thrust. To go to Main campus you must be accepted into that school's program. Engineering is hard to get into no matter what campus you start at. I think it makes sense that you won't be guaranteed admission to Main campus, but I think the bar set is a reasonable one.

Just because it's not like the SUNY's or UNC's colleges doesn't mean the PSU system is a bad one. Remember we also have 14 State colleges Welcome to the PA State System of Higher Education that are reasonably priced (unlike PSU) and fairly well regarded.

Oops, we've completely strayed from the OP, which was about CC's, not the Pennsylvania state colleges.
I learned something new today about Pennsylvania's state colleges.
No biggie, but thanks for directing people back to the main topic.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,915,422 times
Yes I did.. I saved a lot of money and now I'm enjoying my 4 year school and not taking it for granted like many of the kids who start at 4 year school.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
I transferred to a Top 40 university from a community college.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,780,991 times
Yup. I transferred to a great school after getting my A.S. The first semester at the university was tough: Much bigger school, tough classes and I had to quickly adapt to the culture. But I adapted and did well. You will too, I'm sure.

The university I transferred to had a "Transfer dorm". For me, it didn't actually help since I already had friends from high school going there, so I had almost an instant group. You should look into whether the college's you're transferring to have a similar thing, or maybe a social club geared towards transfers.

Transferring to a small school might be tough socially: people will already be in cliques. On the other hand, you'll get the small class sizes and approachable professors that you're used to at the CC.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yup. I transferred to a great school after getting my A.S. The first semester at the university was tough: Much bigger school, tough classes and I had to quickly adapt to the culture. But I adapted and did well. You will too, I'm sure.

The university I transferred to had a "Transfer dorm". For me, it didn't actually help since I already had friends from high school going there, so I had almost an instant group. You should look into whether the college's you're transferring to have a similar thing, or maybe a social club geared towards transfers.

Transferring to a small school might be tough socially: people will already be in cliques. On the other hand, you'll get the small class sizes and approachable professors that you're used to at the CC.
Thanks for sharing! I hope there's a places I get accepted to that have good transfer activities and dorms for that matter. I will probably join a few on campus clubs and groups to get better acquainted. I'm sure most of my friends will most likely be through my department or through my major classes.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,048 times
well not everyone intends to transfer to a 4 year, either. i've never taken a class at a CC but i assume that a lot of students are just there to learn this or that random thing for their job or interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities