Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,010,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Good point brocco. I never really thought about the fact many people just take a class here or there never intending to get a full degree. Do they count them as non-finishers? How about HS students that take the classes as dual credit?
Our CC doesn't count them as non-finishers, in fact they have a classification for them when they enroll, it's called Non-Degree Seeking Students. I'm sure this claassification is to make sure they don't get counted wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,574,734 times
I wasn't referring to how the college classified them, I was thinking of the larger picture. The link I posted was from the National Center for Education Statistics - National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) Home Page, a part of the U.S. Department of Education

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,589,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Our CC doesn't count them as non-finishers, in fact they have a classification for them when they enroll, it's called Non-Degree Seeking Students. I'm sure this claassification is to make sure they don't get counted wrong.
Dallas CCCD has the same system. As I understand, since they're not pursuing an AA/AS or certification, they don't count "against" the amount of people that graduates.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 AM

310 posts, read 1,026,570 times
I was offered scholarships to Brown university before I even graduated high school because of my SAT scores and class standing. However, I could never afford that, and didn't think it to be worth the debt.

Instead I went to Community College, and graduated with an Associate of Arts degree and a 3.7 GPA. Earned a large honors scholarship to the local university, now carrying a 4.0. Planning on pursuing my MS in Operations Research.

Anything is possible, it just takes lots of hard work.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,172,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
I was offered scholarships to Brown university before I even graduated high school because of my SAT scores and class standing. However, I could never afford that, and didn't think it to be worth the debt.

Instead I went to Community College, and graduated with an Associate of Arts degree and a 3.7 GPA. Earned a large honors scholarship to the local university, now carrying a 4.0. Planning on pursuing my MS in Operations Research.

brown does not offer merit scholarships lol

Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,701,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post

From Brown University's Financial Aid website:

Q. Does Brown award merit-based financial aid, such as academic and athletic scholarships?

A. No. As a member of the Ivy League, Brown does not award academic or athletic scholarships. All financial aid awarded by Brown is need-based meaning that no factors are considered except the family's demonstrated financial need. Brown only takes into account a family's ability to pay before awarding any financial aid funds to a student.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM

506 posts, read 959,949 times
Okay, can we not derail this thread please. It has been derailed once before and I want to stay on the topic...

Please and thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities