Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,574,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
well not everyone intends to transfer to a 4 year, either. i've never taken a class at a CC but i assume that a lot of students are just there to learn this or that random thing for their job or interests.
Good point brocco. I never really thought about the fact many people just take a class here or there never intending to get a full degree. Do they count them as non-finishers? How about HS students that take the classes as dual credit?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,971,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Good point brocco. I never really thought about the fact many people just take a class here or there never intending to get a full degree. Do they count them as non-finishers? How about HS students that take the classes as dual credit?
Another thing, most transfer students don't get an associates. It's kind of a waste of money to do that if you're going to get a bachelors.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM

506 posts, read 959,949 times
Quote:
From what Ive seen, the people who go for their jobs (like taking certain classes or tests) do just that and then leave. They are not apart of the degree, certificate, or transfer programs. People who are there to get certifications for a certain field they are in or want to work in can take courses too.

The kids from HS who go for dual credit do just that. They go for their last two years of HS, graduate with both a HS diploma and an AA degree, then go off to a 4 year school. It's a good way to save time and when they do go into a 4 year school they only do the last two years because they got the first two years done through the CC.

Community colleges are multipurpose schools.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,172,896 times
*raises hand*

But I spent more than 2 years at the CC, I can tell you that much.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
From what Ive seen, the people who go for their jobs (like taking certain classes or tests) do just that and then leave. They are not apart of the degree, certificate, or transfer programs. People who are there to get certifications for a certain field they are in or want to work in can take courses too.

The kids from HS who go for dual credit do just that. They go for their last two years of HS, graduate with both a HS diploma and an AA degree, then go off to a 4 year school. It's a good way to save time and when they do go into a 4 year school they only do the last two years because they got the first two years done through the CC.

Community colleges are multipurpose schools.
We realize why those people are there. What we were referring to was how those people are counted. Are they counted as non-finishers?

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:16 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,047 times
I did. It saved a ton of money and I probably wouldn't have been able to get into the school I wanted right after high school, but by doing well at CC and transferring I got accepted easily. I sometimes wish I had had the full college experience of living in the dorm and all that, but I don't have any regrets. It was a great decision for me.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
We realize why those people are there. What we were referring to was how those people are counted. Are they counted as non-finishers?
I don't know. You should go to one and ask. I never heard of them being considered "non-finishers." I guess if you aren't set to a plan like a certified course, transferring or graduation, then you simply take the courses you paid for and then leave whenever you feel like it. I'm not sure how they "count" that as.

Last edited by Zara Ray; 07-03-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I did. It saved a ton of money and I probably wouldn't have been able to get into the school I wanted right after high school, but by doing well at CC and transferring I got accepted easily. I sometimes wish I had had the full college experience of living in the dorm and all that, but I don't have any regrets. It was a great decision for me.
I agree, if I went after HS I wouldn't be able to go to the schools I wanted do to my poor motivation at the time. As long as you make it in the end, it all good. Thanks for the response!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I don't know. You should go to one and ask. I never heard of them being considered "non-finishers." I guess if you aren't set to a plan like a certified course, transferring or graduation, then you simply take the courses you paid for and then leave whenever you feel like it. I'm not sure how they "count" that as.
I'm not sure what you mean. Go to someone that took a CC and ask how they were counted??

I'm asking how data that gives the CC retention rate counts students that are not enrolled in a degree completion program.

Found the answer:
Looks like they don't count those students at all, at least according to this methodology
: College Navigator - Delaware County Community College

Quote:
Overall Graduation Rate and Transfer-Out Rate

It tracks the progress of students who began their studies as full-time, first-time degree- or certificate-seeking students to see if they complete a degree or other award such as a certificate within 150% of "normal time" for completing the program in which they are enrolled.

Realtors, See This.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-04-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM

24,153 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
No they don't count those. They count student who came in to matriculate towards a degree in a curriculum, and never completed.

If you or I were to take a class in something that interested us, already having degrees from other schools we would not be counted in the attrition rate.
Nor would students who are making up a credit, or getting ahead for the next year to lighten their load for the Fall term.

The attrition rates are accurate and are calculated to measure the success of the CC in graduating students who came in to graduate in the first place.

Community Colleges were not first instituted only for this purpose. As their name implies, they are their to serve the community and all of it's members for a variety of reasons.

I am always delighted to learn that their are people such as the OP, who were are able to use them as a stepping stone to a 4 year college. They are very motivated students and they have navigated through a mixed bag of mixed purposed students, many of whom have no intention of getting a degree there, they are just "picking up credits", studying something of interest or slogging through 13th grade.

Kudos to the OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities