Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,787,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
What do you guys think about buying an iPad for college as opposed to a laptop/netbook?

I've been doing a lot of research and I've seen a lot of mixed reviews; however those whom are against it, from what I've seen, are business/accounting/statistics etc majors, and they didn't like it because of lack of programs (i.e spreadsheets etc). I plan on majoring in Early childhood education, so would it matter if I had an iPad? Is it likely that there will be programs/things I can't do. And if there are is it too much work/too inconvenient to go the computer lab or library?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I just want want to make sure I get information from every angle before committing to this purchase.
Typing on it with a keyboard case is no harder or easier than typing on a netbook. You can use Pages which works even better than word and can save as .doc

That being said, what is your major. If it is science, and you are going to have to do any sort of data analysis, than an ipad is not going to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,603,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I plan on majoring in Early childhood education, so would it matter if I had an iPad?
I think the best combo is a smart phone and a laptop.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 AM

919 posts, read 1,695,091 times
My major would be Early childhood education.

Thanks guys, these seem consistent, I wasn't sure since there were so many other reviews
And the iPad has a keyboard and word "equivalent" programs for those who asked.

What about the tablet laptop? Do any of you have that' it's the computer with a detachable full size keyboard. There are 2 types the one where the screen comes off entirely So it doubles as a tablet & there's the one that the screen spins and closes so its a laptop size tablet

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 AM

943 posts, read 1,850,309 times
which MAC would you recomend. I am going to be taking a basic writing class and maybe a French or Russian class.

I am going to get the IPAD but after reading this lol i will keep this for travel / fun not college classes.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,839,651 times
For University level work a notebook/laptop is more feasable. You need to have the Office based programs for nearly everything. If you can afford it, get a Samsung Series 9 notebook. As to the Ipad you can get away with using a bluetooth keyboard with it, but currently for your use it is not a notebook replacement. On an Ipad you can type notes. problem is that you have to email it to a computer in order to print them. On an Ipad you can also record lectures, but if you want to listen to them in a mp3 device you need to copy it over to a pc and convert it. They both have their pluses but a notebook still makes more sense.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
I recommend a MAC Book Air or a Windows Ultrabook (ideally the ThinkPad X1 Carbon that comes out in August).

Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
For University level work a notebook/laptop is more feasable. You need to have the Office based programs for nearly everything. If you can afford it, get a Samsung Series 9 notebook. As to the Ipad you can get away with using a bluetooth keyboard with it, but currently for your use it is not a notebook replacement. On an Ipad you can type notes. problem is that you have to email it to a computer in order to print them. On an Ipad you can also record lectures, but if you want to listen to them in a mp3 device you need to copy it over to a pc and convert it. They both have their pluses but a notebook still makes more sense.
I agree that a laptop makes more sense unless the OP has easy access to a computer lap, but you can print wireless to a printer from an Ipad, and record and play back info easily.

I'm not sure why the OP would need a $1000+ computer when the OPs basic needs are word processing and internet use. There is absolutely no need for that. The OP should be just fine with a basic $350-500 laptop and student version of Office. If you want to buy a $1000 laptop, by all means go for it, but understand that for most people it isn't necessary.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I agree that a laptop makes more sense unless the OP has easy access to a computer lap, but you can print wireless to a printer from an Ipad, and record and play back info easily.

I'm not sure why the OP would need a $1000+ computer when the OPs basic needs are word processing and internet use. There is absolutely no need for that. The OP should be just fine with a basic $350-500 laptop and student version of Office. If you want to buy a $1000 laptop, by all means go for it, but understand that for most people it isn't necessary.
A college student needs something portable. There aren't many good options in the $350-$500 range other than netbooks. Could you imagine carrying around a 5LB, 1-inch thick laptop around all the time? It's possible, but gets annoying real fast.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,839,651 times
Quote:
.... but you can print wireless to a printer from an Ipad,
Would you like to try that again?

Per Apples website:
Quote:
The "AirPrint" feature in iOS 4.2 (for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad) works only with AirPrint-enabled printers, of which there are currently only a few (all from HP). iOS devices can't currently print to a generic network-attached printer in the way that PCs and Macs long have.
Quote:
and record and play back info easily.
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57349000-285/five-free-voice-recording-ipad-apps-compared/

Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM

919 posts, read 1,695,091 times
I have an iPod touch & I can print straight from my iPod to my printer because they're on the same network, I dot see why an iPad wouldnt allow wireless printing (I've also done it at school )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities