Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,787,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
For University level work a notebook/laptop is more feasable. You need to have the Office based programs for nearly everything. If you can afford it, get a Samsung Series 9 notebook. As to the Ipad you can get away with using a bluetooth keyboard with it, but currently for your use it is not a notebook replacement. On an Ipad you can type notes. problem is that you have to email it to a computer in order to print them. On an Ipad you can also record lectures, but if you want to listen to them in a mp3 device you need to copy it over to a pc and convert it. They both have their pluses but a notebook still makes more sense.
A few mistakes in this post.

Airpint means that ipad can print to almost any printer there is.

Again, if you use Pages (it is part of iWorks) it is better than word, and all documents can be saved in the Word compatible .doc. Same goes for Keynote (Power point compatible) and Numbers (though Excel is more powerful for statistical analysis).

Oh, and the thing about making mp3s on ipad, also not true. There are many apps and one native, garageband that does this.

My daughter went to school with my macbook and got an ipad with a keyboard case. She used the ipad almost exclusively now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I recommend a MAC Book Air or a Windows Ultrabook (ideally the ThinkPad X1 Carbon that comes out in August).
I would recommend a macbook over the macbook air only because many textbooks come with a cd with extras on them and macbook air does not come with a cd drive.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
That is several iOS's ago.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Brother, Cannon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, Samsung

All airprint enabled now. As are most computer labs at colleges

Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,603,333 times
Mac's are a great product, but not worth the extra cost IMHO. Of course, my son is Mr. Tech in our house and is very good at finding us great deals on pc products. Your intended college will most likely have discounts on different computers. Don't buy without checking that out, software is also usually heavily discounted.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,994,120 times
No no no, do NOT buy an iPad over a laptop. iPads are cool and all, but they do not compare to a laptop. Another thing, college freshman always talk about taking notes on a laptop, but honestly it's really just a pain in the ass. Get notebooks and write it, you'll retain the information easier and it's easier to get written down, less distractions and also it's easier to go back to.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Mac's are a great product, but not worth the extra cost IMHO. Of course, my son is Mr. Tech in our house and is very good at finding us great deals on pc products. Your intended college will most likely have discounts on different computers. Don't buy without checking that out, software is also usually heavily discounted.
If you have a tech person pc's can be great but for the average user I have to say mac. I was a pc person until I got my first macbook. I still have my top of the line (for then) Sony Vaio from 2006. I also have a macbook from the same year. I still use the macbook everyday (right now as a matter of fact).

My macbook has been much more reliable, it just works, and there are never "issues". Its was also super cheap to upgrade, software costs very little (iworks was $20), and the apple store people just replaced my battery for free. Just my two cents owning and using both.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Heavily discounted or free. I got Windows 7 professional for free through my university and Microsoft Office 2010 for $10.00. As a student you should not be paying full price for anything related to computers, especially software.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That is several iOS's ago.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Brother, Cannon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, Samsung

All airprint enabled now. As are most computer labs at colleges

Quote:
Would you like to try that again?
Perhaps you would like to try again?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,995,581 times
Why can't you just get a regular laptop? If you're in more of a creative field, then I can see the advantage of having a MacBook. But if you aren't, just get something already loaded with windows.

I was a business major and used a gateway. When I graduated college and decided to take up photography, that is when I purchased my MacBook.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,177,939 times
i never took my laptop to class in college. i don't know that its as big of a deal as everyone on here is making it out to be. we had plenty of computer labs available on campus so even having a laptop wasn't totally necessary. the most important thing for me was the warranty. i bought mine through the school which was really helpful and convenient the few times it messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities