Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM

57 posts, read 253,283 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working as a contractor for an organization, doing database administration. For now, my contract is only 4 months long, and I do NOT enjoy what I do. I just happened to get into it based on experiences from other jobs.

I just got accepted into a full-time MBA program at a state university (George Mason.) The part-time program is in the Top 50 (I think?) and they're currently still building up the full-time program, but the school has been named as the top 2 to watch. I don't want to do anything in banking or personal finance/investment banking or anything like that. Just trying to gain more experience to apply to non-profits or eventually start my own business. I also started thinking that I'd like to combine entrepreneurship and corporate social responsibility/sustainability, because I think "green" is an emerging market.

However, I don't know whether to go full time or part time, as I already carry a $180k debt from college (so so dumb.) However, I don't think I'd get the same networking opportunities in the part-time program, since I'm trying to switch careers.

What do I do? Is an MBA even worth my time?

I was going to get my JD, but the market for lawyers is even worse, and I figured with an MBA I would have a lot more options as far as jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM

454 posts, read 1,244,556 times
Quote:
I'm currently working as a contractor for an organization, doing database administration. For now, my contract is only 4 months long, and I do NOT enjoy what I do. I just happened to get into it based on experiences from other jobs.
If you have DBA experience then going into a completely different field is like doing a career change. In other words, it essentially destroys your earning potential unless you have some good connections. Generally, its a negative because you lose the relevant experience.

Quote:
The part-time program is in the Top 50 (I think?) and they're currently still building up the full-time program, but the school has been named as the top 2 to watch.
Unless its an ivy league, employers don't care what the rank of the school is. Do you really think the HR managers are sitting there reading the Princeton Review's list of, "the top 50 best MBA schools." The only exception would be for schools that are ranked high COMPARED TO THE OTHER REGIONAL SCHOOLS.

Quote:
but the school has been named as the top 2 to watch.
Whatever that means. (sounds like marketing baloney).

Quote:
Just trying to gain more experience to apply to non-profits or eventually start my own business.
You don't need an MBA to start a business and from what I hear non-profits don't exactly pay that great. Of course, that's assuming that getting a certain amount of pay is important to you.

Quote:
I also started thinking that I'd like to combine entrepreneurship and corporate social responsibility/sustainability, because I think "green" is an emerging market.
It's not. The problem is that people say they are green because it sounds good. When it comes to buying things, they aren't going to spend a nickle more to be green. All talk, no walk. If people aren't willing to shell out the extra cash for the green market then its not going anywhere. Also, if you've paid attention to the oil and gas industry you would know that natural gas prices in the USA collapsed and pretty much decimated the solar and wind industries. The only real booming part of the green industry is doing super technical research but for those jobs they are looking for the best of the best.

Quote:
What do I do? Is an MBA even worth my time?
Based on what I've read, its a complete waste of time for you. You don't even know what you want to do with your life! Stick with being the DBA. Yes, it sucks but it's the best thing going for you right now.

Quote:
I was going to get my JD, but the market for lawyers is even worse, and I figured with an MBA I would have a lot more options as far as jobs.
Much worse from what I've heard. Its a super competitive industry. Get promoted or get fired type of stuff. That's what other law school grads have told me. They only want to retain the best of the best. That's why there is so many of these one lawyer law firms around. They couldn't cut it for the major law firms.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,807 posts, read 58,359,620 times
Quote:
Will an MBA be a waste of my time?
YES... (I don't know how you got $180k in debt w/o having LOTS of extraordinary edu opportunities already.

PUT IT TO USE.

I only recommend an MBA to folks ALREADY immersed and headed to Fortune 500 management careers with at least 7 yrs EXPERIENCE in the field. MBA IS all about alumni / networking BUT... You MUST bring your own experience / success in management to the table.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,178,843 times
i wouldnt even bother going to george mason for an mba if it were free. i would work on changing jobs. you don't need more schooling or debt to find something you're more interested in.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,861,652 times
.................................................. .............$180K in debt from your undergrad......................................... ......................and you want an MBA............................................... ................

Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,540,773 times
I don't think MBA's are worth much unless you are going to a top 25 school or your company is paying. Considering you are 180k in debt already I'm not sure a Harvard MBA would be a good idea.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,887,124 times
An MBA is not a waste of time ( is learning ever a waste of time?), but would be a waste of money on your part if you have no idea what you are planning to do with it.

An MBA has nothing to do with starting a business, so if this is the motivating factor, please reconsider.

$180k in college debt, UG only? How is that even possible? What is your UG major?

"Green" is not a market, an industry or anything, it is a phrase made popular by agencies like the Department of Labor to gain gov funds to train (push) unemployed people to get useless skills for jobs that do not exist. Imagine how cool someone feels by going to a two week "green training course" and gaining TEN certificates!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,763,407 times
Top 25 MBA programs that could open doors to a job in private equity, management consulting, hedge funds, investment management and the likes are not a waste of time.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,761 posts, read 81,674,039 times
The typical new MBA is making $20/hour in an entry level corporate setting, because those are the only jobs that don't require a lot of experience to go with the degree. Hard to pay back such a big debt and still eat on that.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:37 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,849,754 times
Only if you go to Northwestern, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or some other Ivy School do I believe that it is worth your "financial" investment to get an MBA. However, if you have an employer WILLING to pay for your MBA that is a different story. The best ROI at this point in time is going to a top school, and making as many connection as possible while you are there. I have never heard of George Mason so I can't comment on how good the school is, but I DO know that the top B-schools that get the most attention are the Ivy's.

You also have a boatload of student loan debt. I would focus on getting that taken care of, and working with what you got!!!! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities