Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. So far I have visited 6 schools, sadly- I only see myself realistically applying to 3. Here are the schools I have visited and some I want to visit- if anyone has insight/ recommendations it would be nice (as in maybe in general where do these schools fall i.e safety etc. & other schools i should look at)
Also what do you guys think about apply to a school but not visiting- is that a bad idea??

Visited

SUNY Oneonta (Will apply)
SUNY Cortland
PACE University (Will Apply)
LIU- Brooklyn Campus (Will Apply)
The College of Saint Rose
City College (Maybe)

I plan on visiting: Queens College, LIU CW Post, Wagner College
I want to visit but may not be able to: York College and University of New Haven

And I know for a fact that my Safety is Sage Colleges of Albany because I have already been guaranteed acceptance.

My GPA is a 95

SAT: Will retake. Aiming for an 1100, (CR & M) currently a 960
ACT Will take in September Practice ACT has been 25-29

I will be double majoring in Early-Childhood education and Psychology
I want to stay within 2 hours South of NYC and 4 Hours North. And I want to stay in NY, NJ, Ct, PA

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
There is nothing wrong with applying to schools you haven't visited and then going to see them if you get accepted. You do need to score well on the ACT or bump up your SAT considerably if you want to get in and get merit aid though.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
If you're planning to major in Education, I am surprised you aren't definitely applying to Cortland. It has always been known as the "education school." I'm not really sure how much visits matter - I think they are too influenced by the student tour guide's skill and personality, and are not really representative of the school as a whole. They also don't really tell you how you'll feel at the school long-term. Perhaps if you incorporate meeting some professors in your department as part of the tour, that would help. Otherwise, I don't really think it's critical unless the campus appearance is really important to you.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:25 PM

I visited cortland & I didn't like it. Tooooo rural for me I wasn't comfortable it didn't feel right.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Hey everyone. So far I have visited 6 schools, sadly- I only see myself realistically applying to 3. Here are the schools I have visited and some I want to visit- if anyone has insight/ recommendations it would be nice (as in maybe in general where do these schools fall i.e safety etc. & other schools i should look at)
Also what do you guys think about apply to a school but not visiting- is that a bad idea??

Visited

SUNY Oneonta (Will apply)
SUNY Cortland
PACE University (Will Apply)
LIU- Brooklyn Campus (Will Apply)
The College of Saint Rose
City College (Maybe)

I plan on visiting: Queens College, LIU CW Post, Wagner College
I want to visit but may not be able to: York College and University of New Haven

And I know for a fact that my Safety is Sage Colleges of Albany because I have already been guaranteed acceptance.

My GPA is a 95

SAT: Will retake. Aiming for an 1100, (CR & M) currently a 960
ACT Will take in September Practice ACT has been 25-29

I will be double majoring in Early-Childhood education and Psychology
I want to stay within 2 hours South of NYC and 4 Hours North. And I want to stay in NY, NJ, Ct, PA

Thanks
It seems as if you want somewhat of a traditional college experience as you are willing to go away.

Why not apply to Rutgers?

It's a good school and offers a traditional college experience. Many of the schools you listed seem like commuter schools. But I'm not intimately familiar with all of them.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 PM

93,357 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I visited cortland & I didn't like it. Tooooo rural for me I wasn't comfortable it didn't feel right.
Just curious, what was different between SUNY Cortland and SUNY Oneonta? I would consider SUNY Oswego and Utica College too. Perhaps Syracuse University as well, just to see what they offer. Utica College is or was affiliated with Syracuse University, but that may have changed recently. It is located within the city of Utica, which is a diverse city of about 60,000 people.

SUNY Oswego has a notable Hispanic student population with culturally based Greek organizations too. A lot of students come from Downstate and it has a good Education program.

Here is more information on both campuses: Fast Facts

Education

Academic Programs

SUNY Oswego - About SUNY Oswego

SUNY Oswego - Adolescent Education/Childhood
Education

SUNY Oswego - Majors and Minors

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-05-2012 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 04:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
With a major like EC Ed. You should be very careful with the numbers. Pick the school whose overall cost is lowest to attend. Ideally you should come out with NO student debt with a major like that.

As for visiting schools, one of mine who just went through this, was not allowed to visit schools. She picked a majorl that is not going to be a big money maker. So she had to pick solely on amount of scholarship, actual cost, and ability to get into grad school

Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
With a major like EC Ed. You should be very careful with the numbers. Pick the school whose overall cost is lowest to attend. Ideally you should come out with NO student debt with a major like that.

As for visiting schools, one of mine who just went through this, was not allowed to visit schools. She picked a majorl that is not going to be a big money maker. So she had to pick solely on amount of scholarship, actual cost, and ability to get into grad school
Whatever works for you but I would NEVER send a child away to college without visiting it at least once. Several schools we've looked at were great fits on paper but once you got there you could tell almost instantly it wasn't going to work. That visit can happen after acceptance but I don't agree that you shouldn't visit at all. You can certainly narrow down your choices of where you visit based on cost but I don't know why visiting should be banned?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Whatever works for you but I would NEVER send a child away to college without visiting it at least once. Several schools we've looked at were great fits on paper but once you got there you could tell almost instantly it wasn't going to work. That visit can happen after acceptance but I don't agree that you shouldn't visit at all. You can certainly narrow down your choices of where you visit based on cost but I don't know why visiting should be banned?
Because as other posters have pointed out the visit is a snapshot more of who is giving the tour than the school/program. What exactly is the visit supposed to do? Decide if the campus is "pretty"? Or if the kids dress right ? For my family it was important to pick programs based on the facts and not feelings.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 AM

For me the difference between cortland & oneonta wS more of the actual campus. I felt like. Ortolans was too big as in the school didn't feel like a campus to me; it felt like a city and I'd like to have a campus vibe I didn't feel that there. With oneonta I felt like it seemed like my vision of the typical college idk though cause that image is different to everyone.

SUNY Oswego is way to far! Even Syracuse is ( I had underestimated how far cortland was and Syracuse is 30+ minutes from there)

As far as money goes, I am pretty concious but I do expect to get money. As soon as my SAT or ACT scores are in/ improve a little I should be gettin a pretty big amount from each school I listed- on top of outside scholarship money. For a lot of the schools I'm just below the qualification on SAT.
For example I've already received a 15k a year scholarship to Sage Colleges in Albany because of my community service & the fact that I am Hispanic also opens many windows as far as scholarships go.

Also Most of these schools have a BS/MS program- I want get my MS in social work so a LOt of community outreach in the school was important for me when choosing schools to visit. (& eventually a PhD in clinical pyschology w/ a concentration in child psychology)

Thanks for your opinions guys! I really appreciate them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities