Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,991,398 times

Advertisements

As everyone has already mentioned, it matters for name recognition, connections, etc.

But more importantly it also matters for the quality of the education you receive. Sure there are exceptions - but anyone who thinks the engineers produced by a typical university are on par with those coming out of MIT are kidding themselves. Likewise with doctors from John Hopkins, dancers from Julliard, etc...

I've studied and taught at both elite and solid but not great universities. The former was much better, even ignoring name recognition and snob appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
given the generous financial aid at top schools (and even some other private schools), there's really no reason not to strive to go to the best school you can get into
Quoted for truth. I would have paid as much to go to State University of NY as I did to go to a top ten school. The choice was a no-brainer. People often misunderstand the undergraduate tuition process at top schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM

9,409 posts, read 13,065,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
As everyone has already mentioned, it matters for name recognition, connections, etc.

But more importantly it also matters for the quality of the education you receive. Sure there are exceptions - but anyone who thinks the engineers produced by a typical university are on par with those coming out of MIT are kidding themselves. Likewise with doctors from John Hopkins, dancers from Julliard, etc...

I've studied and taught at both elite and solid but not great universities. The former was much better, even ignoring name recognition and snob appeal.

Quoted for truth. I would have paid as much to go to State University of NY as I did to go to a top ten school. The choice was a no-brainer. People often misunderstand the undergraduate tuition process at top schools.
Sometimes privates end up less expensive, sometimes they don't. But if you're stuck in the "upper middle class donut hole," coming from a family that's comfortable, but not well off (~lower mid sixes), you'd be saddled with sticker at the vast majority of private universities (but be hard-pressed to pay it without taking out a lot of loans). Still, financial aid can be unpredictable, so it never hurts to apply broadly. You can always turn down pricey schools later.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,145,291 times
Quote:

Perhaps, but since when does someone that graduates with an engineering degree from MIT ever go into engineering.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,652,530 times
[quote=OdysseusNY;25219044]
But more importantly it also matters for the quality of the education you receive. Sure there are exceptions - but anyone who thinks the engineers produced by a typical university are on par with those coming out of MIT are kidding themselves.

quote]

Most MIT graduates are bookworms who end up in academia.

Graduates from a typical university get real hands-on experience and produce products that make money for their employer.

It sounds like the "I spent more money for car A, so it has to be better than less-expensive car B".

Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,722,440 times
It CAN matter. Or, it might not. It's all highly subjective. It depends on your field, your goals, the wants and needs of who is hiring you, who the other applicants are, etc. There's really no way to know for sure, so really, the most important thing you can do to help yourself is to choose a school with a solid academic reputation that best fits your needs and wants, apply yourself, and commit to putting in your 100% best effort at learning what it is you are there to learn.

I went to a very good, but very small private college that is very well-regarded, but is not incredibly well-known other than regionally. The name recognition carried a lot of weight in that particular geographic region...spreading outward, to other regions of the country, not as much name recognition. But I've never experienced anybody telling me that they're not sure about my abilities because they're not very familiar with my school, or anything. I got a quality education, it shows, and that's been enough.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,991,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Perhaps, but since when does someone that graduates with an engineering degree from MIT ever go into engineering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Most MIT graduates are bookworms who end up in academia.

Graduates from a typical university get real hands-on experience and produce products that make money for their employer.

It sounds like the "I spent more money for car A, so it has to be better than less-expensive car B".
LOL. Yeah they're all useless hacks, like that Richard Feynman guy.

Something tells me you don't actually know many graduates of these kinds of places, and haven't sat in too many lectures there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It CAN matter. Or, it might not. It's all highly subjective. It depends on your field, your goals, the wants and needs of who is hiring you, who the other applicants are, etc.
Shh stop being rational. It's better just to make broad statements about how academia is a rip off!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,682,210 times
I think it does. I go to a large state college and one of the biggest things going for me is that I have a deep Alumni community to work with.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 PM

774 posts, read 1,697,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
right...there are definitely some great state schools and there are plenty of crappy private schools. public vs private wasn't the distinction i was trying to make, just that financial aid is likely going to be less relevant at a public school. what i really don't get is those who pay full price for the awful private schools
Your remarks are 100% spot-on. Billions of wasted dollars imho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
That school does not have a good rep.
Very pretty and expensive but they except almost everyone with a checkbook.
Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Coney, your saying "do your student teaching where you want to work". Are your saying it's fine to stay at LIU if I have plans, lets say to move to the Carolina's? As long as I do my student teaching down their it's okay. I don't even know if that's possible.

Would it be wise to stay at LIU if I'll be looking for work out of state?
NO! VERY few people have heard of LIU anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester007 View Post
Short answer: yes. It opens doors.

Three most important things on a resume, in no particular order: 1) Education, 2) Previous Job (Company), 3) Previous Title.
Titles are notoriously inflated, and education matters mainly at your first job or two. Thereafter it's all about what you've done on the job. Exceptions include academe and law firms, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Sometimes privates end up less expensive, sometimes they don't. But if you're stuck in the "upper middle class donut hole," coming from a family that's comfortable, but not well off (~lower mid sixes), you'd be saddled with sticker at the vast majority of private universities (but be hard-pressed to pay it without taking out a lot of loans). Still, financial aid can be unpredictable, so it never hurts to apply broadly. You can always turn down pricey schools later.
Agree with what you've said but perplexed that a family earning $250K can't afford any college in the country with or without financial aid.
Trade in the Escalade maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Quote:
LOL. Yeah they're all useless hacks, like that Richard Feynman guy.

Something tells me you don't actually know many graduates of these kinds of places, and haven't sat in too many lectures there.
Exactly--I happen to know MIT grads who are practicing engineers and I know them quite intimately

Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 PM

9,409 posts, read 13,065,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Agree with what you've said but perplexed that a family earning $250K can't afford any college in the country with or without financial aid.
Trade in the Escalade maybe?
$60k a year in tuition/fees/room & board/miscellaneous expenses for just one child is still a huge cost burden for a family earning $250k. Think about it.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,538,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
$60k a year in tuition/fees/room & board/miscellaneous expenses for just one child is still a huge cost burden for a family earning $250k. Think about it.
There is also no need to spend 60k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities